U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 03:38 PM

56,207 posts, read 80,312,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I just Goggled city of syracuse unemployment rate.

I can't link to it cause when I open the main search results that state 9.5% it opens to a graph showing 10.5%.

Shows last updated July 02, 2012.
Unemployment in the U.S. - Google Public Data Explorer

I believe that this is for the city of Syracuse, because you can make it community specific. For instance, I was able to find out that Manlius's unemployment rate is 6.3%. It seems to be a difficult way to find out rates, as I've been having a tough time pulling up more rates for other area towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 03:39 PM

Anyway, I'm surprised that there hasn't been any other responses in regards to the original questions since the topic has come up on this forum before.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:43 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,629,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Anyway, I'm surprised that there hasn't been any other responses in regards to the original questions since the topic has come up on this forum before.
Honestly, I do not think there are any active posters on the Syracuse forum that have asked for advice on places to live, taken that advice, and hated it. From what I gather, the only people that post about hating Syracuse made the decision to move here without the help of the forum. Many people come here for advice and then never post again.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:00 PM

4,241 posts, read 9,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
As an employee of that institution I've seen the 20 year plan... campus will look a lot different if it happens, but campus will still be on the hill
So you're to blame for too many trees in Syracuse then?

Old 07-07-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Honestly, I do not think there are any active posters on the Syracuse forum that have asked for advice on places to live, taken that advice, and hated it. From what I gather, the only people that post about hating Syracuse made the decision to move here without the help of the forum. Many people come here for advice and then never post again.
I think your post is correct and pretty much what I'm getting at. I honestly feel that the posters on this forum, regardless of feelings, pretty much try to look out for the best interest of those looking for information.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:59 PM

288 posts, read 434,757 times
@ sean: I'd rather be honest than fake but appreciate your understanding however you're still missing the whole point that Syracuse is on the rebound and even if 5 thousand jobs were created that means at least 5000 people would be moving to the area when families are taken into consideration. 5000 more people equal a much larger tax base if you figure each person averages 10000 in taxes per year, that's an extra 50 million dollars in taxes and that is low ballin it. You really should think about this more; I believe since you're from onieda you have a more conservative mind state and no matter what anyone tells you it will not change your mind. However, if a million different people tell you a million different reasons for why you are right or wrong, you actually may be right. Unfortunately, when you have a million people telling you that you are wrong then you probably are wrong. Just have to accept it.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:05 PM

288 posts, read 434,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
As an employee of that institution I've seen the 20 year plan... campus will look a lot different if it happens, but campus will still be on the hill
That is awesome; if you don't mind can you tell me approx how much bigger suny esf will be and the likelihood of it happening?

Old 07-07-2012, 09:46 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,691,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
And 10K new jobs?? At the mall?? And even this is a toss cause those aren't "new" jobs they are just taken from the suburban malls. And since the new mall doesn't pay any taxes I bet they can cut some sweet deals.

And 1.4 billion buckaroo's?? Its all just government money. Which means it was taken from somewhere else. And since NY does not have the power to tax other states it was taken from other NYer's. So hard working NYer's had 1.4 billion dollars stolen from them and sent to a city they had already voted with there feet they wanted dead and this is the key to economic recovery?? I don't think it is and I think its actually the key to how we got in the mess we are in now.

Everything I'm seeing in play now is the exact same stuff I have watched go on for decades. Its sweet to see the flower of youth think its all new and this time by god its gonna work. But its the same old crap.
What a joyous ray of sunshine! Keep up the good work!

As someone who currently resides in the South, I can assure you the job market is DREADFUL down here. Stats only show who is currently collecting unemployment. It does not include those who have already used up all of their benefits or were never eligible because they weren't full time employees. The few jobs that are here pay crap.

Being a bookkeeper in Albany, I made over $26K a year with no experience fresh out of college. Here I'd be lucky to make 8 bucks an hour. Rarely, a job paying 10 bucks an hour comes along and normally aren't full time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn88 View Post
By the way, there's an additional 500 million being spent on cleaning Onondaga lake which was not taken into consideration when news came out that 1.4 billion dollars is being spent in Syracuse. It takes jobs and people to clean the lake and it will attract even more tourist and keep syracusans spending their money in Onondaga county rather than taking the trip to sylvan beach. Anyways, maybe you should take a look at what jobs are really being created rather than assume that most of them are mall jobs. By the way, has anyone heard about suny esfs vision for 2020? There are rumors that suny esf is trying to get off the hill and expand into a bigger college.
This is FANSTINKINGTASTIC news about Onondaga Lake!

I've wanted ESF to become a larger college for quite some time. With many people now looking to live a greener lifestyle and care about the planet, I hope the college can use that and work forward.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:16 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,692,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn88 View Post
That is awesome; if you don't mind can you tell me approx how much bigger suny esf will be and the likelihood of it happening?
A good chunk of the 20 year plan is largely a pipe dream at this point - only firm stuff's been announced. Essentially, our physical campus won't grow in size beyond the expansion for the academic research building... but it will get more dense. I know one of the things they're thinking about is moving the support physical plant stuff that doesn't have to be directly on campus off-site so they can use the space where the current building is (between Baker and the dorm).

Very pie in the sky at this point, but the first step for funding it was to come up with a plan... so they did.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:59 PM

29 posts, read 32,676 times
I don't think I count as I moved back after being gone for 8 years while I lived in Florida, right outside of Orlando. Now that is not a pretty story. FIVE of my neighbors all lost their jobs with in 3 months. It was really sad, they were two attorneys, project managers, accountants and a corporate trainer. No matter what the media says or reports it is bad everywhere. I do think Syracuse is better off because we were able to stay out of the real estate collapse

I did ask for advice here and ended up buying in Camillus, still super happy. The education and housing market is so much better here. I am telling you the higher taxes are a wash with what I was paying in car and house insurance in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area