Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 10:33 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,534,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I think all NY schools suck, some just suck more. Also possible this is nationwide, I have not delt with sending kids to school outside NY.

All they learn is how to take tests. They don't learn anything that's not on a standardized test. Drives me nutz. Kids don't learn how to learn here, they learn how to take tests. And they learn all the PC crap about things that make them look sensitive as heck but has very little to do with what actually happened.
You think NY schools suck? My god you have no idea how great they are (in general) compared to the rest of the country! NY is in the top half of school rankings by state. Try living in SC where we're #49! THe adults around here are as dumb as a box of rocks and living like it's 100 years ago. Some think the Civil War is still actively going on. The whole Civil Rights Movement never happened in many areas. And god forbid you're not native to the area! You're already a piece of crap. NY does NOT have the same mentality at all. I am amazed daily at the crap people say in our newspaper. They sound so uneducated. I've heard 5 year olds make more sense.

You can thank the No Child Left Behind act for being taught how to score well on a standardized test. That is a national problem. It's not exclusive to NY.

And I've had enough of being PC to last me for 10 lifetimes! Let's rewrite history so no one has hurt feelings....never mind that 6 million people died and countless others were uprooted and moved all over the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
The Mods have been in for a cleanup.

There was a post in very broken egrish about you needing to get in touch with here fast to find love.

I Goggle some of the words and they were Norwegian.

I wish I had taken a screen shot, it was very funny.
Ahhhh that explains a lot. I was wondering what was in your Chock Full of Nuts!

Old 07-14-2012, 10:47 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,801,698 times
Quote:
The Mods have been in for a cleanup.

There was a post in very broken egrish about you needing to get in touch with here fast to find love.

I Goggle some of the words and they were Norwegian.

I wish I had taken a screen shot, it was very funny.
Ha aha. I didn't know that. No doubt it was a 300 lb hairy guy named Thor on the other end of that transaction....that's just my luck with women!

Old 07-14-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You think NY schools suck? My god you have no idea how great they are (in general) compared to the rest of the country! NY is in the top half of school rankings by state. Try living in SC where we're #49! THe adults around here are as dumb as a box of rocks and living like it's 100 years ago. Some think the Civil War is still actively going on. The whole Civil Rights Movement never happened in many areas. And god forbid you're not native to the area! You're already a piece of crap. NY does NOT have the same mentality at all. I am amazed daily at the crap people say in our newspaper. They sound so uneducated. I've heard 5 year olds make more sense.

You can thank the No Child Left Behind act for being taught how to score well on a standardized test. That is a national problem. It's not exclusive to NY.

And I've had enough of being PC to last me for 10 lifetimes! Let's rewrite history so no one has hurt feelings....never mind that 6 million people died and countless others were uprooted and moved all over the world.
Maybe so, but I will say that the attack on that poor old school bus aide outside of Rochester NEVER would have happened in a state like NC. Being from the northeast, I've never seen so many kids call their parents SIR and Ma'am in my life. There is a certain formality and respect that Southerners have, that I wish the northeastern states had a little more of.

I was so disturbed and sickened by seeing that, and hearing it came from kids Upstate only made me more sad.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:04 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,253,450 times
There was actually a older and worse case of that in Watertown.

Kids up here for a fact have no manners.

And I am a grouchy old man but its not just because of that I say that.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:06 AM

And I agree on the politeness of the South.

I have family down there and the kids are 100% NY stock but far better mannered then Northern kids.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Maybe so, but I will say that the attack on that poor old school bus aide outside of Rochester NEVER would have happened in a state like NC. Being from the northeast, I've never seen so many kids call their parents SIR and Ma'am in my life. There is a certain formality and respect that Southerners have, that I wish the northeastern states had a little more of.
Crap like that DOES in fact happen in the South. Just because some kids say sir and ma'am doesn't mean they are respectful. Some are just little balls of snot. Most of that respectfulness is among the natives and isn't always applied to the transplants. Meaning that many times natives are less than polite to the new comers.

I've been told to hit I-95 and go back where I came from more times than I can count. I've been told that before I've spoken to someone I was meeting for the first time. Some jerk in the grocery store who I don't know and wasn't talking to said that to me when I was asking my other half about which cereal to buy. The New Yorker in me always have a sarcastic geography lesson when people say that crap to me.

In all of my 35+ yeas of living in NY, I have NEVER heard anyone tell someone to go back where they came from. Neither have my parents or grandparents...and they've all been there a lot longer than 35 years.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Crap like that DOES in fact happen in the South. Just because some kids say sir and ma'am doesn't mean they are respectful. Some are just little balls of snot. Most of that respectfulness is among the natives and isn't always applied to the transplants. Meaning that many times natives are less than polite to the new comers.

I've been told to hit I-95 and go back where I came from more times than I can count. I've been told that before I've spoken to someone I was meeting for the first time. Some jerk in the grocery store who I don't know and wasn't talking to said that to me when I was asking my other half about which cereal to buy. The New Yorker in me always have a sarcastic geography lesson when people say that crap to me.

In all of my 35+ yeas of living in NY, I have NEVER heard anyone tell someone to go back where they came from. Neither have my parents or grandparents...and they've all been there a lot longer than 35 years.
Someone told you to go back to NY before ever speaking to you? Did you have full Yankee's uniform on? How would they know you're from New York, or even the North, before you even spoke a word? Come on, now.

No offense, but lets be real....

Old 07-14-2012, 11:16 AM

You bring an attitude to the table and it shows. People are just giving you back what they pick up.

I've been to SC many times and will be there again in afew weeks. In this case touristy areas but other times not.

Everyone is always nice to me. And I could give two chits if its to my face or not.

NYers are not generally mean, at least to me. I guess its just the taxes and crime have everyone kinda defeated and wary. Nobody is ever friendly to strangers. Actually I should say Upstate because I have found Downstate people to be pretty friendly.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Someone told you to go back to NY before ever speaking to you? Did you have full Yankee's uniform on? How would they know you're from New York, or even the North, before you even spoke a word? Come on, now.

No offense, but lets be real....
It actually reminded me of a thread years ago on a different forum.

People from different States were hating on NYC.

It was so left wing that they were mobbed for there ring wing free state ideas.

I was like come on, how would they know unless you ran your mouth??

Oh they knew!!!!

Yeah cause everyone in NYC can mind meld with outsiders and pick up on ring wing ideas.

And more recently a Texan saying he's been to NYC several times and EVERYTIME the NYPD has given him a hard time. I've been to the city a crapload of times and never even talked to a cop. We are both fat middle aged white men. So I asked what are YOU doing that draws the attention of the cops?? Nothing!!! Well it must be something if to people with the same basic profile are having to completely different experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area