U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-25-2012, 02:53 PM
 
1,409 posts, read 731,380 times
Reputation: 1191
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, salaries aren't double. Economy in Onondaga County, New York

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Again, remember the college presence here that effects economic information to some degree and in comparison.
You're right, just different statistics. Wiki was going by 2000 for Onondaga, and 2010 for Hillsborough. Hillsborough County median household income is $79k as of 2010:

Hillsborough County, New Hampshire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Onondaga is $50k as of 2010, not $40k as Wiki had:

American FactFinder - Results

Still, its a $29k difference. Accepting the fact that there are more college students (according to you) in Onondaga County, $29k is still a lot. I don't want to argue with you, because I like central NY and I feel like this is turning into a thread putting down the area. I just wanted to let the OP know that NH is pretty comparable to central NY when everything is factored in. I'm heavily researching both areas as potential relocation spots, as I think both have a lot to offer. This is how I see it:

State Income tax: 8.5% NY, 0.0% NH
Sales Tax: 8.5% NY, 0.0% NH
Gas Tax: 49 cents NY, 19 cents NH
Median Home Price: $124k NY, $267k NH
Median HH Income: $50k NY, $79k NH
Property taxes: assume equal, both high
Unemployment: 8.6% NY, 4.9% NH

Sf homes are a little harder to come by (but they exist), but really nice townhomes are plentiful for under $150k:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...369?source=web

Ignoring other factors such as proximity to the ocean, proximity to a major city, gun laws, less snow, more sunny days, etc; you can see how they stack up together and its not an unfair comparison to say that NH stacks up well against CNY. As someone looking to relocate, it all has to be factored.

Last edited by Yac; 08-02-2012 at 05:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2012, 03:04 PM
 
1,409 posts, read 731,380 times
Reputation: 1191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I can transfer to NH or Vermont with ease so I looked into it quite abit a few years ago.

Gun rights are huge to me and NY has none while Vermont is #1.

Income would have been the same but like you say lower taxes were free money from heaven.

But I found housing to be really high. High enough that it scared me back to NY. I had not thought to look again with todays lower prices.
I think VT is an incredibly beautiful, but incredibly difficult place to live. Gun rights are a factor to me, not because I think people should own AK-47's, but because it tends to be indicative of the level of freedom that citizens of that state have. Red light cameras, seat belt laws, helmet laws, etc all fall along these lines in your freedom as a citizen. NY is a nanny state- no getting around it. I signed up for Governor Cuomo's email updates, and it angers me what nonsense the government gets involved in- passing redundant laws when really the economy is the main issue NY should be focused on.

NH, although an inverted shape of VT, is a very different state, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 03:12 PM
 
Location: 213, 310, 562, 909, 951, 952, 315, ???
1,429 posts, read 1,039,247 times
Reputation: 1630
No big sugary Coke for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 03:54 PM
 
30,824 posts, read 35,867,649 times
Reputation: 6144
Hillsborough County is $69,000 not $79000: Hillsborough County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Given the much higher COL, that isn't much of a difference. Just trying to be accurate and I believe that Sperling's was also around 69k. While the rate is lower due to much higher home prices, the average property tax paid is about 1k more according to that chart by Forbes. Employment will depend on skills, openings, if one is self employed, education and so on. Ultimately, there will be personal factors to consider and CNY may have location advantages as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-25-2012 at 04:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 04:42 PM
 
332 posts, read 492,484 times
Reputation: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I think VT is an incredibly beautiful, but incredibly difficult place to live. Gun rights are a factor to me, not because I think people should own AK-47's, but because it tends to be indicative of the level of freedom that citizens of that state have. Red light cameras, seat belt laws, helmet laws, etc all fall along these lines in your freedom as a citizen. NY is a nanny state- no getting around it. I signed up for Governor Cuomo's email updates, and it angers me what nonsense the government gets involved in- passing redundant laws when really the economy is the main issue NY should be focused on.

NH, although an inverted shape of VT, is a very different state, IMO.
I will say that having moved back to NY after living in TN and TX the fact that NY is a nanny state is ten times more noticeable to me. I never really noticed it that much before I left and while I was gone but since I've been back I've been really annoyed with state government here. They seem to be more worried about putting in place stupid little laws such as paying for the bail of criminals then actually fixing the root of the problems. Here was an excellent article in the Syracuse newspaper 2 days ago addressing this exact issue.
NY's financial structure on the brink | syracuse.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 04:47 PM
 
1,409 posts, read 731,380 times
Reputation: 1191
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Hillsborough County is $69,000 not $79000: Hillsborough County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Given the much higher COL, that isn't much of a difference. Just trying to be accurate and I believe that Sperling's was also around 69k. While the rate is lower due to much higher home prices, the average property tax paid is about 1k more according to that chart by Forbes. Employment will depend on skills, openings, if one is self employed, education and so on. Ultimately, there will be personal factors to consider and CNY may have location advantages as well.
I guess Wiki was wrong. I don't know, I think the US Census is an average of wages from 2006 - 2010. Regardless, there are personal factors for sure, but I really don't think the cost of living is that much higher, if at all. Right here and now, in 2012, I think it is leveling out due to factors like taxation and unemployment. Just my opinion.

I think Syracuse will be fine in the long run, especially if the state/area can get its unemployment rate under control and stop worrying about Big Gulps and gun control (based on some nut in Colorado). I still really like the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 04:50 PM
 
30,824 posts, read 35,867,649 times
Reputation: 6144
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
I will say that having moved back to NY after living in TN and TX the fact that NY is a nanny state is ten times more noticeable to me. I never really noticed it that much before I left and while I was gone but since I've been back I've been really annoyed with state government here. They seem to be more worried about putting in place stupid little laws such as paying for the bail of criminals then actually fixing the root of the problems. Here was an excellent article in the Syracuse newspaper 2 days ago addressing this exact issue.
NY's financial structure on the brink | syracuse.com
I wonder why TX was mentioned in this article?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Oneida
2,546 posts, read 1,568,688 times
Reputation: 873
Big Glups are the city only (I think).

Guns are in any realistic sense already illegal in NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 04:55 PM
 
332 posts, read 492,484 times
Reputation: 343
I think it was related to the fact that TX isn't very transparent in it's financial status. Although I thought it was interesting, seeing as how it is the only Republican state listed that does that. Although TX always has thought they are their own country and don't like to be transparent to anyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 04:56 PM
 
30,824 posts, read 35,867,649 times
Reputation: 6144
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I guess Wiki was wrong. I don't know, I think the US Census is an average of wages from 2006 - 2010. Regardless, there are personal factors for sure, but I really don't think the cost of living is that much higher, if at all. Right here and now, in 2012, I think it is leveling out due to factors like taxation and unemployment. Just my opinion.

I think Syracuse will be fine in the long run, especially if the state/area can get its unemployment rate under control and stop worrying about Big Gulps and gun control (based on some nut in Colorado). I still really like the area.
Cost of living can be higher, including taxes. Pay can offset that and most places are roughly the same given overall cost of living and pay. I gave a comparative example between Cicero and Hudson NH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top