Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,260 times

Advertisements

(sorry about typo in title, I swear I know how to spell "graduate")

My bf and I need an apartment before the end of the month. I will be a grad student at SU so I want to be relatively close to there. We do not have a car so a shuttle or bus that is quite close to the apartment or complex is necessary. I wanted a 2br so I could have an "office" but a large 1 br would also be fine. Our price range is $800 or less ($900 absolute max, if there were other perks or it was super safe) obviously we prefer a cheaper place but safety is a priority.

As an additional note, I'm looking at a place on 101 comstock ave, does anyone know if that is a safe area?

Thanks so much to anyone who replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 01:26 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
That part of Comstock is so-so. Not the worst area, but just be aware like you would be in any city. As for apartments with a shuttle, the James on James Street seems to be popular with students. Nob Hill Apartments is another complex that has a shuttle. This may help as well: Syracuse University Rent Apartment Housing

Orange Housing - Apartment Complexes

Nob Hill Apartments - Syracuse, New York

Old 07-09-2012, 04:00 PM

580 posts, read 1,173,665 times
I live a block from 101 Comstock; convenient neighborhood, landlords typically leave something to be desired. Certainly worth a walk-through. The location is great, but maintenance and such can be a concern.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,260 times
Thanks so much! I'm actually trying for one of the James Apartments. Does anyone know what the "application process" is like for it?

Old 07-11-2012, 09:18 AM

655 posts, read 2,328,492 times
Default Apartments Advice For Grad Students About To Attend Syracuse University

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowmage View Post
My bf and I need an apartment before the end of the month. I will be a grad student at SU so I want to be relatively close to there. We do not have a car so a shuttle or bus that is quite close to the apartment or complex is necessary. I wanted a 2br so I could have an "office" but a large 1 br would also be fine. Our price range is $800 or less ($900 absolute max, if there were other perks or it was super safe) obviously we prefer a cheaper place but safety is a priority.

As an additional note, I'm looking at a place on 101 comstock ave, does anyone know if that is a safe area?

Thanks so much to anyone who replies!
Hello knowmage,

I think you considering The James Apartments is a good idea also good location and rent price choice, especially if you won't have a car. I hear that grad students like this building. As with any center city area, when you go out at nighttime simply be aware of your surroundings. That's just caution, NOT that you are going to necessarily encounter any problems. I don't really think you'll have any problems. When you & your bf venture out together that's even more secure.
The James>>
www.thejamesapartments.net/print.htm
www.thejamesapartments.net/default.htm
www.AFApts.com/107426

City-Data member ckhthankgod gave you good info. He always gives good advice/info.

If you are considering any apartments on any of the several streets (Comstock-Ostrum-Westcott-Allen-Fellows-etc.) that run southward off East Genesee Street, in general, I would say look at apartments in the 300 or higher number street addresses=those often seem to be better maintained in better buildings/apartments. As I said previously, at nighttime be aware of your surroundings when you go out & about.

I would suggest that you look at apartments on many of the streets that radiate outward from the intersection of Westcott Street at Euclid Avenue. There will be some nice apartments in that east University neighborhood and a few that are not so good=you will have to judge each place as you visit/see the apartments in person. The www.OrangeHousing.com/ website, that ckhthankgod already gave you, can be a good source for finding apartments in the east University neighborhood.

Best wishes to you for a good education and positive experiences at SU & Metro Syracuse. Welcome to Syracuse.

grdnrman

Last edited by grdnrman; 07-11-2012 at 10:16 AM..

Old 07-12-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grdnrman View Post

If you are considering any apartments on any of the several streets (Comstock-Ostrum-Westcott-Allen-Fellows-etc.) that run southward off East Genesee Street, in general, I would say look at apartments in the 300 or higher number street addresses=those often seem to be better maintained in better buildings/apartments.
No. Geography has nothing to do with the maintenance of rental properties on University Hill. A small number of developers own a large majority of rental properties in that and surrounding neighborhoods; they maintain their properties uniformly regardless of what block they are on.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:15 PM

3 posts, read 4,165 times
[quote=ckhthankgod;25090350]That part of Comstock is so-so. Not the worst area, but just be aware like you would be in any city.

As someone also moving to Syracuse, wondering why/what makes you consider this area so-so (the OP ref. 101 Comstock Ave.)? It appears to be close to campus and in my brief afternoon of wandering it seemed pretty nice/decent. Just wanted a definition of so-so I guess?

Old 07-16-2012, 06:38 PM

[quote=AJB5781;25200230]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That part of Comstock is so-so. Not the worst area, but just be aware like you would be in any city.

As someone also moving to Syracuse, wondering why/what makes you consider this area so-so (the OP ref. 101 Comstock Ave.)? It appears to be close to campus and in my brief afternoon of wandering it seemed pretty nice/decent. Just wanted a definition of so-so I guess?
Some street people wander through with more frequency than they do in neighborhoods east of University Hill. And the midtown fringe of the Hill is only ten or so blocks away from some pretty dicey projects.

Crime-wise, it's a fine area. In terms of feel, it's a bit more "so-so" than the more student-dense neighborhoods immediately to the south.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:42 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
[quote=Cleveland Park;25200498]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJB5781 View Post

Some street people wander through with more frequency than they do in neighborhoods east of University Hill. And the midtown fringe of the Hill is only ten or so blocks away from some pretty dicey projects.

Crime-wise, it's a fine area. In terms of feel, it's a bit more "so-so" than the more student-dense neighborhoods immediately to the south.
This. It isn't crime ridden, but I'd just be more aware.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:37 PM

To wit: right now there's a dude in our dumpster and a helicopter is flying overhead.

Most people who've lived in a city before would consider midtown fine (if a bit dull). But it's really surprising how many people with a bit less life experience are uncomfortable in such a setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area