Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 08:54 AM

93,313 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

I don't know how legit this is, but I found this: 3 Bedroom Home for Rent for $950 - Rome Apartments For Rent | Rome, NY 13440

and others that may work: Hillside Garden Apartments

2BD furnished and unfurnished Apartments in New Hartford, NY | Apartments.com

RomeSentinel.com - Rome news, sports, advertising from the online home of the Rome Daily Sentinel

Houses for Rent

Unfurnished Apartments (there were a few that may fit what you are looking for)

You may be interested in this newspaper too: Utica Phoenix*|*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 09:01 AM

655 posts, read 2,328,340 times
You're right Sean. To quote you, ... "I don't know all the names of apartments in NH but I do know where they are and there are tons of them."

Absolutely! There are even more apartment complexes in New Hartford than the ones I listed.

You're right too ckhthankgod, apartments="you could possibly add Marcy and Whitestown (Whitesboro area) too. New York Mills may be another option."

Yes. Like Liverpool here at Syracuse has lots of apartment complexes, the New Hartford area seems to have a large number of apartment complexes at the Utica area and conveniently located relatively close to the Mall-shopping plazas-businesses along Commercial Drive (Rt. 5A). Additionally, Clinton is a very nice village just southward of NH. And yes, there are some complexes in the other suburbs that you mentioned which beckyhuggs could consider; Marcy/Whitesboro/New York Mills. As a side note, I purposely did not mention any "city" complexes.

I think that beckyhuggs could find a nice Townhome, which was her preference, somewhere in the Utica suburbs where she could be happy, safe, enjoy everything being nearby, be closer to work, and not have a somewhat longer drive out to more distant towns. Everyone here, Sean, ckhthankgod, & me are giving beckyhuggs all the possible choices-considerations-alternatives that we can think of so that she can review everything and make her decision about the best rental place to meet her needs/convenience. I think that everyone has given beckyhuggs good suggestions/comments/advice.

grdnrman

Old 07-23-2012, 01:39 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That and he probably doesn't realize that beckyhuggs is a Syracuse(city's East Side) native that is coming back to NY.
Not counting that I remember her from before but have you read the thread title?? Moving BACK??

And its has nothing to do with being negative or Katie Couric perky, numbers are numbers. And business is business. She was wondering why dumps cost so much to rent. So I told her, if you can't at least clear the taxes then most would walk away not rent it out. I am not saying she should pay those prices, just thats why they are so high.

Here's what I use to keep track. The low of 44K I can't explain, it must have been before I moved here.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:07 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Here's what I use to keep track. The low of 44K I can't explain, it must have been before I moved here.
For what it's worth - take Zillow's numbers with a really massive grain of salt. Changes in value fluctuate seemingly at random and are heavily influenced by any recorded sales anywhere near you. If there are foreclosures, or small-dollar-value transfers (like passing from one relative to another at crazy low rates), those influence their Zestimate - and don't take into account comparisons of features either.

Up until the week I closed on my house in 2009, the Zestimate of my house (while it was listed for sale!) was almost $25k more than I paid. Week the sale was recorded, it mysteriously plunged to about $10k less than I paid - and has bobbed back and forth in that range somewhat at random ever since. And I don't doubt I could sell my house right now for at least what I paid for it in 2009. I don't doubt some of that was influenced by some of the sales in my neighborhood of fixer-uppers and of homes that are substantially smaller by sq. ft. than my own.

They seem to be more generally accurate in suburban areas and particularly in somewhat homogenous areas (housing size/lot size-wise), which would be the low-hanging fruit from an accuracy standpoint. When it comes to older neighborhoods in particular, their estimating powers seem to largely fall apart.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:24 PM

357 posts, read 968,329 times
Thanks EVERYONE!

You all have been great and given me some food for thought about possibly living closer to Utica. There are more housing options if I open myself up to living in NH or other Utica suburbs. My only reason for wanting to be somewhat closer to Syracuse is my family, I've been gone 10 years so now that I'm close by I want to be as involved with them as I can get. However, If I gave it a few months I'm sure that I would be happy to not be so close by

I still have to sell my house in TN so I have a little time to research everyone's suggestions and hopefully I'll find the best fit for me.

Sean, I remember you being very pessimistic but you have been very helpful so thank you. And here's a little of my take on Syracuse and NYS after living in TX, DC and TN.

I have seen significant changes in Syracuse for the better and am very excited for Syracuse's future if they can continue on the general path they are on. It was horrible for Syracuse and the region when most of the factory's and other industries left the area but I think Syracuse is doing a good job of slowly making the transition over to a more broad job base and therefore helping to develop the area again.

As for NYS, I'm not too impressed and they seem to still be doing some of the same crap they were doing when I left 10 years ago. While other states are worried about their budgets and cleaning it up these are some of the headlines for issues in NYS since I've been back. Banning big gulp soda's, paying for people to clean litter off the highway and my newest favorite is state tax payers are now going to pay for the bail of minor crime offenders so they don't have to sit in the jailhouse until their court date. My first thoughts upon moving back were "are these people serious"? You know in TN they had the minor crime offenders cleaning up our highways. That would have simply solved two of those previous issues but I'm sure NYS wants to make sure the criminals can watch Oprah at their scheduled time.
Unfortunately I have heard very little about changes that are being made to state government and improving the budget. Maybe someday or maybe I just have wishful thinking.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:00 PM

The Utica area and East is one of my favorite areas in the USA. Drives me nutz that God put such a beautiful area in NY.

I think if you give the Utica area a fair shot you will love it too. If you treat it just as a bedroom you will most likely hate it.

As a city I don't think Syracuse is gonna make it. I think Utica MIGHT make it. My thinking either don't make them so, only time will tell. Its hard to describe but if you look I think you will sense it too. Syracuse just waits for government money to fall from the sky. In Utica people are actually doing things on there own. Go to a Home Depot in Utica vs Syracuse, Utica has a real energy. Will it be enough?? I don't know.

It sounds like our thinking is closer then you realize. I just post in a bombastic style on the innerweb.

If you need a set of eyes of the ground I'm in Utica area, Syracuse area, Florida, Seattle wherever and always have my iPhone on me. You say the word and its done. Reason?? Because when my chance to get out comes I hope people help me. Pay it forward. And its fun. Lets me see things I wouldn't go see with out a reason.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:03 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,133 times
Quote:
Not counting that I remember her from before but have you read the thread title?? Moving BACK??

And its has nothing to do with being negative or Katie Couric perky, numbers are numbers. And business is business. She was wondering why dumps cost so much to rent. So I told her, if you can't at least clear the taxes then most would walk away not rent it out. I am not saying she should pay those prices, just thats why they are so high.

Going by Zillow is just silly. The house down the street that is about to close for $210K is listed as a value of $122K. The house further down was listed for 2 years at $99K and just sold for $50K flat... and is worth $87K, according to Zillow. Our home would sell - lowballing it - for $135K, and *quickly.* Zillow says it's worth $88K. Zillow says I can charge up to $1900/mo. in rent. Again, ridiculous.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:00 PM

93,313 posts, read 123,941,088 times
A possibility as to why NY may not use prisoners is the connection, as some see it, of being viewed as slave labor. Google prison and slavery, as well as view the 13th amendment of the U.S. Constitution to see what I'm getting at. On top of this, it doesn't help that 75-80% of those in NY State penitentiaries come from 7 highly minority areas of NYC. With that said, what is the alternative? Perhaps a youth employment program? Those unemployed or getting assistance? Maybe a little bit of each.....

As for the Utica vs. Syracuse comparison, I don't know if Utica has an advantage given that the Utica-Rome area is still losing people, while the Syracuse metro added people this past decade and is pretty much static thus far after. Utica did add people within the city while Syracuse lost 1% during that time. I don't know if Home Depot has anything to do with it either. Luckily, Syracuse University has played a more integral part in the city of Syracuse and some private companies have moved back into Syracuse. So, it has been a mix of public and private investment within the city of Syracuse. Hopefully, both cities, along with others in the region, can get more people to invest within their communities.

Lastly, I've also heard that Zillow can be way off, but I'm sure there has to be something more accurate.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:11 AM

Actually I've found Zillow to be a wonderful tool. One has to keep in mind it is just a tool and use it as such. A 3K Uni-Saw doesn't make one a good woodworker, its just a tool.

The Zillow app works with my GPS. I see a house for sale and hit refresh. It lists the selling price, all price reductions and the tax assessment. Easy to see what other houses in the area have sold for. And sold for is the key. Anything else is big dreams. When money changes hands those are the facts.

I've found that all over CNY asking prices always start waaaay to high. Selling time is almost always over a year. Very few houses sell for anywhere even close to what they are assessed for. The trend is a steady downward. On my own house recently its been a big drop but over the years its steady small red drops.

Most all my personal readings would be in the Syracuse or Utica areas. I have little interest in Oneida outside my own.

Its a useful tool. Important to not make to much, or to little, of what it really is. Basically a handy way of looking at public records fast.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:17 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,133 times
Quote:
Very few houses sell for anywhere even close to what they are assessed for.
Quite right- they're often assessed for far less than their value; that's to keep the taxes down. When the homeowners don't make the effort to KEEP their taxes down by challenging increased tax assessments, it lets the local government know that they must not mind paying more. Then everyone else's taxes can creep up because their neighbors have lost a good comp to challenge their own assessments with...

Quote:
The trend is a steady downward. On my own house recently its been a big drop but over the years its steady small red drops.
Then WHY would you not sell, if there's been that kind of writing on the wall?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area