Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 02:37 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I wish I could get my innocence back and think like you. The crime here just broke me. Funny for me to think back less then 10 years ago I used to be on a different forum known as a defender of NY. Alot has changed in NY for the worse in just afew years. Its staggering how bad its gotten so fast.

On a good note the other night I was in Syracuse with a group of friends that had never been to Syracuse except like the mall or fair. We were in Nedrow and instead of getting back on 81 we drove right up the South side. Holy crap I didn't realize there were even areas like that in the US. For the first time in years I was actually happy to get back to Oneida.
If you actually travel and go through inner cities, the South Side is actually child's play in comparison to many other inner citiy areas. South Side neighborhoods vary too. Strathmore, South Valley, the two ends of the North Valley and Elmwood(up the hill) are different from the inner city parts of that side of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 02:41 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,014 times
Quote:
I wish I could get my innocence back and think like you. The crime here just broke me. Funny for me to think back less then 10 years ago I used to be on a different forum known as a defender of NY. Alot has changed in NY for the worse in just afew years. Its staggering how bad its gotten so fast.

On a good note the other night I was in Syracuse with a group of friends that had never been to Syracuse except like the mall or fair. We were in Nedrow and instead of getting back on 81 we drove right up the South side. Holy crap I didn't realize there were even areas like that in the US. For the first time in years I was actually happy to get back to Oneida.
I think you can say that for a lot of America, unfortunately. And I wish I was innocent and pure of thought, but living in Philadelphia will change that quick. Its all a matter of what your used to. See, to me, the worst sections of Syracuse are nothing compared to the areas of Camden, Chester, and North Philly that I have seen. I keep looking for them to get a gauge on how bad they are. Not to say that I'd walk through there at night, but these areas at night, you have to be looking for drugs or prostitutes to be there. The cops will actually stop and harass YOU for being there, rather than bust the thugs that live there.

Even in the lily white suburban area where I currently am, people here think nothing to ask you for a handout. "Hey man, can you let me borrow your car", or can you loan me some money, or can you watch my kids while I run to get a pack of smokes? People who I don't even know. Everyone thinks they are owed something here. Maybe its the new America, I'm not sure, but I've never seen society not take responsibility for themselves more so than I do now.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:11 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,099 times
I'm all good with the ghetto. I got kinda turned around in Tampa one time but it wasn't that bad. I just wanted to see Gothic house before its gone. And the old Sears building. I asked a guy at work who grew up in Syracuse and still work around town and he said I was nutz. He was right. Get smoked to see old buildings. Good plan.

The entitlement mentality is very strong around here. My old lady had a run in with it in her business last week. She's to softhearted. I have less then no pity for people who don't work so I came down on them like a baby seal.

Also several bums asking for money to buy drugs, whoops did I say that I meant buy diapers for there kids, outside Dinosaur THursday night.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:45 PM

People on the street asking for something from a total stranger, I'm not bothered too much by that. I'm talking about people that you can't leave your house because they're waiting around like vultures to ask something from you. And I live in a nice area. But I digress.

Before this thread goes off topic, the OP was asking about cheap homes in the $80-$90k ranges, and Syracuse seems as good as anyplace to find that. Considering that price point is unattainable nearly everywhere (or at least in most places that have malls and hospitals and universities and such). That said, there's always a reason that homes are that cheap, so beware- there's no free lunch in America. I must have good taste because one of my favorite places in the US is north of San Francisco in Sonoma and Mendocino County and homes there are like $500k for a trailer with a little land.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:34 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
People on the street asking for something from a total stranger, I'm not bothered too much by that. I'm talking about people that you can't leave your house because they're waiting around like vultures to ask something from you. And I live in a nice area. But I digress.

Before this thread goes off topic, the OP was asking about cheap homes in the $80-$90k ranges, and Syracuse seems as good as anyplace to find that. Considering that price point is unattainable nearly everywhere (or at least in most places that have malls and hospitals and universities and such). That said, there's always a reason that homes are that cheap, so beware- there's no free lunch in America. I must have good taste because one of my favorite places in the US is north of San Francisco in Sonoma and Mendocino County and homes there are like $500k for a trailer with a little land.
I think the price of those homes in that price range has to do with the age of the home and if the area is in demand. It doesn't necessarily mean that the home is in a "bad" area. People please have to keep in mind the the age of development in cities/metro areas. Syracuse developed earlier than many, if not most metros. So, if you look at similar metros in terms of growth and character, you may find similar homes.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think the price of those homes in that price range has to do with the age of the home and if the area is in demand. It doesn't necessarily mean that the home is in a "bad" area. People please have to keep in mind the the age of development in cities/metro areas. Syracuse developed earlier than many, if not most metros. So, if you look at similar metros in terms of growth and character, you may find similar homes.
Price reflects desirability. That's all I'm saying. High demand areas are in demand because of some quality that is desirable to the majority of the population. Pick up the village of Liverpool, plunk it down just outside of San Francisco, and that cute red house on Cleveland Ave would be $400k.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:08 PM

And Americans are always on the move. The "next big thing".

If people wanted to live here they would. Some past hot spots have been in some real unlikely places. Who would have thought gloomy Seattle would get so big. Or LV in the middle of the desert??

If Syracuse was really a deal people would be here so fast we'd all be biatching about damm Yankees or rebs or whatever.

Syracuse is the "cream puff" that some people see the smoke coming out of the tail pipe and some don't.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:34 PM

357 posts, read 968,261 times
Quote:

Sean from your other posts I thought you had traveled a lot but then when I read this post it gave me the impression is that you have never been outside small town America. Seriously if Syracuse South side is the worst poor urban area that you have ever seen then you really need to see more cities in America.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:49 PM

357 posts, read 968,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Okay, I'm seeing a lot of BS in these responses. We've been buying properties in Syracuse for investment and living purposes for the past ten years and, while you do have to do a lot of shopping around, we've had no trouble at all finding properties for around $40,000 and upgrading them very nicely for about $20,000 (8 years ago we got two for under $17K in somewhat bad neighborhoods, but ended up with fine tenants). Add another $10,000-$20,000 and you've got a super home. We've just done this in Eastwood, a neighborhood that is decidedly better south of James Street than north. If you shop in the right places - I recommend Eastwood, Tipp Hill, outer Sedgwick, outer Strathmore (like, beyond all the really expensive homes), the university area. Buy the "dog on the street" and fix it up and you'll have a heck of a deal on your hands. If you live in half and rent the other half, you have a money maker, too. Let your tenant pay mortgage and taxes. It's great.
I agree, there are many run down homes in more desirable neighborhoods that someone can flip. The areas of the city that you suggested are prime areas for that kind of flipping. Many of the older city homes are solidly built and built to last a lifetime (unlike suburban homes) Many of the city homes have hard wood floors, a stained glass window and other unique characteristics. But with time houses become outdated and sometimes have less then stellar homeowners so now they just need a little TLC and updating. I know of several people who have done this and are doing this. It can be a lot of work but very rewarding.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:52 PM

Do people really travel to ghettos for fun??

I've been to most states and most large cities. Some like NYC, many times and others, like Nashville, only once.

I avoid ghettos like the plague and STD's.

Going into the ghetto of Syracuse was a one time thing. I never did find the gothic house. Did see Sears.

That said I won't lie to you that I much prefer the beautiful wilds of the West over the post-apocalyptic urban wasteland of NY. I can be civil to people as needed but it don't bother me any when none are around either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area