Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 12:00 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn88 View Post
5.) Have prisoners clean up streets from trash
YES! There is plenty that can be done by prisoners and those who refuse to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn88 View Post
8.) subsidize airfare: I know it sounds crazy and I know they're helping airlines such as delta but regardless airfare is too expensive in Syracuse period.
No way. They should get no more help. There are much bigger problems with the airport (****-poor management) that throwing money at it won't fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 01:01 PM

288 posts, read 510,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrosine View Post
I don't know if solar panels would work, but didn't the Pike Block people decide to use geothermal heating for their project? It would be really cool if the city could use a similar system to warm the downtown thoroughfares. 50 degrees would be enough to prevent buildup of snow and the pumps could just be run during snowstorms (really all winter I guess). It would keep things significantly less salty during the winter.

Quick google search came up with this: Geothermal Sidewalks in Southern Oregon
I guess I'm not as original as I thought, but still a cool idea for Syracuse. We get a ton more snow then Klamath Falls Oregon.
See, one idea led to another; geothermal heating would probably work much better than solar and can save the city, county, and state millions if this ever happens. However, instead of turning them off during the fall spring and summer the city could use that energy to power government buildings.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:02 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
I agree with the better lighting needed in parts of Downtown.

I also with using grants to get businesses to come to main streets in the city. This could be put to use on many main/major streets in the city/area: New York Main Street Program

Old 08-22-2012, 01:46 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,268,817 times
The garbage cans!!! Annoys the crap outta me when I can't find a garbage can.

Public chitters. Downtown is pretty dead now but if it ever perks up having a few crappers here and there would be about the best thing EVER!!!

Old 08-22-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
The garbage cans!!! Annoys the crap outta me when I can't find a garbage can.

Public chitters. Downtown is pretty dead now but if it ever perks up having a few crappers here and there would be about the best thing EVER!!!
There was a time when they had public bathrooms around Downtown decades ago. Actually, I believe a former public bathroom building is still up at the corner of James and North Warren Streets. It would be nice to see them in Armory and Clinton Squares.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:52 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,065 times
Speaking of downtown parking...

Downtown residents frustrated with parking issues: Your Stories - NewsChannel 9 WSYR

Old 08-23-2012, 02:55 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,268,817 times
When I go downtown is mostly on Fridays during the day, the "busiest" time.

I part in the Washington street garage.

On the ground floor I have never once seen more then maybe 4-5 cars. Literally hundreds of spots.

I guess I can understand not wanting to pay but finding parking is one problem DT Syracuse does not have.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:45 PM

13 posts, read 20,798 times
All of the above has been on my mind for a while. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

One more thing: Someone needs to replace the Landmark marquee! I'd do it myself if I had some zillions to my name.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:33 AM

60 posts, read 131,310 times
Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
When I go downtown is mostly on Fridays during the day, the "busiest" time.
I park in the Washington street garage. On the ground floor I have never once seen more then maybe 4-5 cars. Literally hundreds of spots. I guess I can understand not wanting to pay but finding parking is one problem DT Syracuse does not have.

I used to live in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington DC and if I got home after 7 pm, I would usually have to park 4-5 blocks away. If I got home after 9 pm, it was more like 8-10 blocks. Hey, it's a big city and I lived in a popular neighborhood, so that's the deal.

By comparison, I go downtown quite often and, with the exception of major downtown events like Taste of Syracuse, I rarely have to park more than 1-2 blocks away from my destination. I'm guessing residents may have to walk a few blocks sometimes but, again, that seems pretty typical for downtown living. I suspect the lousy weather in the winter months may affect people's perceptions as walking through slush/snow can be pretty miserable.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:58 AM

Maybe it is time to bring the "Dunk Your Junk" campaign from the 1980's back.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the too many One Way streets thing, as that is something I've heard before and agree that some streets should become two way streets(Warren comes to mind).

I'd like to see more housing in the eastern part of Downtown. Perhaps the Grange and Brennan Buildings could fill that request.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area