U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 05:45 AM

56,302 posts, read 80,520,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I'll have to get up early and check out this market in Syracuse once I'm settled in my new house! I wonder if Rochester has anything like it........
Rochester has this market: City of Rochester | Public Market

Syracuse has a smaller farmer's market in Downtown Syracuse too. There plenty in both areas from what I've seen. Here's the CNY Regional Market website: CNY Regional Market - regional market, syracuse regional market, farmers market syracuse, regional market syracuse ny, cny regional market, syracuse flea market

Since you'll be in the Finger Lakes, check out the Ithaca Farmer's Market too: Ithaca Farmers Market
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 09:31 AM

1,537 posts, read 2,210,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I'll have to get up early and check out this market in Syracuse once I'm settled in my new house! I wonder if Rochester has anything like it........
The Rochester market is worth the drive. I prefer it over Syracuse because they have much more variety. It is mostly outdoors though, so it may not be open year round like Syracuse is, but I don't know that for a fact. EDIT: It is open year round.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:31 AM

12 posts, read 15,947 times
Awesome! Thanks so much for all these tips. Definitely will check them out because this girl needs some good meat lol

Old 09-05-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
The Rochester market is worth the drive. I prefer it over Syracuse because they have much more variety. It is mostly outdoors though, so it may not be open year round like Syracuse is, but I don't know that for a fact. EDIT: It is open year round.
Ithaca's is nice too. If you haven't gone, you should check it out. It has a good mix of organic and ethnic foods. Here is a list of farmers markets throughout the state: New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets

Old 09-14-2012, 08:02 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,718,165 times
My Finger Lakes magazines are all packed since I'm supposed to move about 2 weeks. Wow! I remember seeing adds for a Windmill Market. I can't remember the full name. Is that one near Ithaca? I will have LOTS of shopping to do once I get my appliances cooled down.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:55 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,965,330 times
Visit some local farms... show interest, befriend the farming community, place roots down into it. Several times a year, my family is asked, by friends, if they'd like to buy or share sides of [enter animal here]. It's usually not much more than the cost of butchering. At a certain point, for some, the cost of keeping them alive is more expensive than losing them. Or a family backed out on buying the whole animal. It's cheap then.

Or raise your own. Sheep and pigs are easier though. Trapping and hunting is the ultimate form of cheap-meat. Some time, the cost of a permit and doe-pi$$ and a friend's land.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:47 PM

838 posts, read 1,427,395 times
I wish the DEC had a safe and legal way for us to thin the herd of whitetail deer on the city's east side. You can darn near walk up to them in broad daylight and shake hands. They don't even jump and run at the sight of dogs or people anymore they are that tame and that desperately hungry. It's downright cruel to allow the city herd to keep growing in this confined space where they are trapped. I could happily eat venison all winter.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
I wish the DEC had a safe and legal way for us to thin the herd of whitetail deer on the city's east side. You can darn near walk up to them in broad daylight and shake hands. They don't even jump and run at the sight of dogs or people anymore they are that tame and that desperately hungry. It's downright cruel to allow the city herd to keep growing in this confined space where they are trapped. I could happily eat venison all winter.
You should check out the South Campus/Skytop area of SU, as there are quite a few around there too.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:22 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,965,330 times
They're everywhere. Nearly every warm morning, there's almost always a deer close enough for me to grab out the kitchen window. There's at least one every evening, when taking the dog out for the last time. They're frightened but the only reason Dog doesn't take one down is because we call her off. They have a staring contest for minutes - feet away from each other - tiptoe around and eventually bolt.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:51 PM

Another place I was told about a month or so ago: About Our Beef Sales

The person that told me about it said that even though it is more expensive, they canít mess with grocery store meat again after having it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or