Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 03:00 PM

3 posts, read 10,972 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm new to this forum but I've read some threads and it seems pretty helpful! I am having a difficult time making some moving decisions right now so I thought I would post and see what kind of advice I could get! I live in Tennessee right now, and me and my fiance' are moving to Syracuse in March due to his military job. We will be there for 1-2 years at least so I am looking for a nice but affordable apartment for us to rent. So far my front runners are Nettleton Commons and Lakefront Lofts due to their downtown location, but we are also considering Georgian Court and Clayton Manor apartments in Liverpool. Any experience with these complexes? I have read as many reviews as I can find online but there aren't enough to help me make up my mind! So any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 03:41 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,687 times
While I don't have any direct experience, I've heard great things about Nettleton Commons, Lakefront Lofts, and Clayton Manor. Georgian Court is only a few years old and is located among the mass apartment complexes behind the Gold's Gym in Liverpool. I normally always steer people away from those as there are some bad seed complexes among them. While it's not all of them, they are all connected so accessible by all the other complexes... there's about 15 of them back there.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:53 PM

54 posts, read 62,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by predhead33 View Post
Hello! I'm new to this forum but I've read some threads and it seems pretty helpful! I am having a difficult time making some moving decisions right now so I thought I would post and see what kind of advice I could get! I live in Tennessee right now, and me and my fiance' are moving to Syracuse in March due to his military job. We will be there for 1-2 years at least so I am looking for a nice but affordable apartment for us to rent. So far my front runners are Nettleton Commons and Lakefront Lofts due to their downtown location, but we are also considering Georgian Court and Clayton Manor apartments in Liverpool. Any experience with these complexes? I have read as many reviews as I can find online but there aren't enough to help me make up my mind! So any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Lakefront Lofts is the only building I have any experience with. No major complaints. Location is convenient to downtown (Access to the Creekwalk is less than five minutes away and Amory Square is an easy 10-15 minute walk). Apartments are as nice as anything else you'll find in the area-- most, if not all of the second floor apartments have been upgraded with more modern fixtures (stainless steel appliances, for example) while the third floor apartments are slightly more dated but not outdated by any stretch. It's a fairly quiet building; most of the residents are young professionals (lots of med students and graduate students). The maintenance person lives in the building so getting things fixed isn't an issue.

The biggest issues you'll find in the building are storage space (a 1BR apartment has two closets; expect to get creative if you have a lot of belongings) and parking. There are roughly a dozen off-street spaces for residents plus the garage, which has a waiting list (over a year). There is plenty of street parking, however so this might not be a big deal to you.

Franklin Square is a great neighborhood if you want to live downtown. Easy to get to just about everything downtown but without the traffic noise and crowds. Destiny USA is about 3/4 of a mile away but not walkable (the sidewalk ends and that stretch of Solar St. gets quite a bit of mall traffic). It would be nice if someone would open a few more shopping options in the square-- a small grocery store, even if it only had the basics, would go a long ways. I also think a small cafe would do quite well (Freedom of Espresso is a great coffee shop but I think a good lunch spot would do good business with the number of offices in the area). It will be interesting to see what the development on the Inner Harbor brings to the area.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:49 PM

93,314 posts, read 123,941,088 times
I lived at Clayton Manor from 2003-2008 and loved it. I actually lived in the older part, but there must be a demand there, as they have built about 4 or 5 new buildings since I've left. They actually built about 4 buildings or so before moving after getting out of the Army. There is a fitness room, community room and car wash bay there as well. You close to highways and shopping as well. It had a good mix of people as well in terms of age and professions too. It was safe as well.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedmunkie View Post
Lakefront Lofts is the only building I have any experience with. No major complaints. Location is convenient to downtown (Access to the Creekwalk is less than five minutes away and Amory Square is an easy 10-15 minute walk). Apartments are as nice as anything else you'll find in the area-- most, if not all of the second floor apartments have been upgraded with more modern fixtures (stainless steel appliances, for example) while the third floor apartments are slightly more dated but not outdated by any stretch. It's a fairly quiet building; most of the residents are young professionals (lots of med students and graduate students). The maintenance person lives in the building so getting things fixed isn't an issue.

The biggest issues you'll find in the building are storage space (a 1BR apartment has two closets; expect to get creative if you have a lot of belongings) and parking. There are roughly a dozen off-street spaces for residents plus the garage, which has a waiting list (over a year). There is plenty of street parking, however so this might not be a big deal to you.

Franklin Square is a great neighborhood if you want to live downtown. Easy to get to just about everything downtown but without the traffic noise and crowds. Destiny USA is about 3/4 of a mile away but not walkable (the sidewalk ends and that stretch of Solar St. gets quite a bit of mall traffic). It would be nice if someone would open a few more shopping options in the square-- a small grocery store, even if it only had the basics, would go a long ways. I also think a small cafe would do quite well (Freedom of Espresso is a great coffee shop but I think a good lunch spot would do good business with the number of offices in the area). It will be interesting to see what the development on the Inner Harbor brings to the area.
You may like this, but the portions are kind of small in relation to what you pay: BOULANGERIE CAFE

Old 10-23-2012, 07:01 PM

54 posts, read 62,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You may like this, but the portions are kind of small in relation to what you pay: BOULANGERIE CAFE
I've gone by there a hundred times and always had it in my mind it was a bakery! Serves me right for not checking it out.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:37 AM

Also, where in Tennessee are you coming from? Was your spouse stationed at Fort Campbell? If so, to make a comparison, Syracuse as a city is in between Knoxville and Clarksville, but is in a smaller land area.

Also, I know that many soldiers live or lived in the northern suburbs of Syracuse and would commute or take a shuttle from Hancock Air National Guard Base to Fort Drum. Many liked doing that because they had more things to do down here versus Watertown, which has increased its options since I ETS'ed in 2003. I even commuted from Clayton Manor to Fort Drum during the my last months in the Army and this was during the tail end of winter, as I took my leave in April and officially got out in late May. So, just some things to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area