Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 05:53 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
More nonsense from someone with absolutely no credentials from the New Jersey DEP, experience or expertise regarding radon. I would warn you that the New Jersey DEP prosecutes and fines those who dispense information regarding radon testing and mitigation without being certified by the DEP to do so.
I did not know it was illegal to forward helpful websites on the subject. Is business that bad in the Radon business.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:01 PM

Here is a very helpful website that a friend of mine used:

Radon at Tahoe - Do It Yourself

Last edited by DailyJournalist; 05-03-2010 at 06:55 PM..

Old 05-03-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Posting helpful websites is not illegal
Well thats good because I think that website I posted is excellent for lay people that may not understand the subject. The problem is that I think prices vary so much with this Radon stuff that the lay person like myself and others is left not knowing what a fair price for all of this is. Why dont you or another person that installs these units for a living post what are fair prices for radon mitigation. I have read on several places on this site that $300 was a fair price for a fan, but you say differently so please break it down. Im sure you have seen the several posts that claim people were "ripped off".

Old 05-03-2010, 08:38 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,974,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Well thats good because I think that website I posted is excellent for lay people that may not understand the subject. The problem is that I think prices vary so much with this Radon stuff that the lay person like myself and others is left not knowing what a fair price for all of this is. Why dont you or another person that installs these units for a living post what are fair prices for radon mitigation. I have read on several places on this site that $300 was a fair price for a fan, but you say differently so please break it down. Im sure you have seen the several posts that claim people were "ripped off".

As I stated earlier in this thread to "activate" a complete builder installed "passive" system that has been installed to the 16 step radon hazard subcode is about $750. If your just replacing a worn/defective mitigation fan and only the fan with no other repairs or alterations that typically costs between $375 and $425. People who were "ripped off" probably didn't have a state licensed radon professional do the work.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
As I stated earlier in this thread to "activate" a complete builder installed "passive" system that has been installed to the 16 step radon hazard subcode is about $750. If your just replacing a worn/defective mitigation fan and only the fan with no other repairs or alterations that typically costs between $375 and $425. People who were "ripped off" probably didn't have a state licensed radon professional do the work.
But can someone that is not a state licensed radon professional install a unit? Because I was under the inpression that it was professionals that were ripping off these people, I did not know that regular contractors could install them? My friend changed the fan at his newly purchased home and did it himself because he was getting so many conflicting answers.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
But can someone that is not a state licensed radon professional install a unit? Because I was under the inpression that it was professionals that were ripping off these people, I did not know that regular contractors could install them? My friend changed the fan at his newly purchased home and did it himself because he was getting so many conflicting answers.
Anyone can change a fan in their own home, however, only a state licensed radon mitigator can change a fan and charge for it. If your not licensed by the state to do so then no other contractor can either install a new mitigation system/fan or repair an existing system.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:06 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
Good thing we're in NY and not NJ then, eh?

Old 05-04-2010, 10:40 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I was just going to comment on that...

Old 05-04-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
You would want someone who didn't know what they were doing installing or repairing a radon system on your home ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area