U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 10:29 AM

11,149 posts, read 14,181,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I got this...... Actually, Syracuse is the snowiest metro, but if you are familiar with the area, the numbers are skewed by Oswego County, which gets more snow on average than Onondaga and Madison counties. So, snowfall varies within the metro. This is the case for the Buffalo and Rochester areas.

Also, the metro added 12,000 people between 2000-2010, with 9,000 of that occurring in Onondaga County. Population loss within the city of Syracuse was a whopping 1% during that time period. This also doesn't get into the fact that Syracuse hasn't annexed anything since the late 1920's-early 1930's, which is something cities in other regions have been able to do. I'm not going to get into urban renewal, suburbanization and governmental/tax issues. While the area could improve in some aspects, it still has quite a bit to offer.

To others, this poster is looking for a new place to live based on certain criteria, as he has been on the General US forum before.
Well, I love all those NY cities along the thruway (Albany, Utica, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo). My only gripe with them is that they seem to be quite provincial and of course, a LOT of snow and cold. And the summers are too short and don't get hot enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 10:33 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,665,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
and of course, a LOT of snow and cold. And the summers are too short and don't get hot enough.
Again, this has NOTHING to do with how many highways we have. What was the point of starting this topic if all you really wanted to do was complain about the weather?

Old 11-30-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Again, this has NOTHING to do with how many highways we have. What was the point of starting this topic if all you really wanted to do was complain about the weather?
What's wrong with going on a side tangent for a little bit? This forum is supposed to allow for discussion of anything related to Syracuse.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:05 PM

56,969 posts, read 81,324,636 times
Quote:
Well, I love all those NY cities along the thruway (Albany, Utica, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo). My only gripe with them is that they seem to be quite provincial and of course, a LOT of snow and cold. And the summers are too short and don't get hot enough.
Have you been to any of these areas for period of time? It is an area with 4 seasons. So, I'm just wondering what you consider to be too short and not hot enough. This is just out of curiosity.

Also, from past interactions, all of those areas have parts of those metros that would fit much of your criteria.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:13 PM

2,863 posts, read 3,536,034 times
Quote:
It doesn't really snow here anymore.

Local paper did a story the other day that stated we were gonna get crushed with snow this year but so far nada.

Gotta say except for the ongoing drought and dry wells and such weather wise this has been a good year. I hate snow (in any amount) and we have had none. And we actually had a Summer this year and it was super nice.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:14 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,702,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
No. The Thruway, 690, 481 and 81 all have exits...

The rest don't. Route 5 (also called East Genesee St) is a long road, just like 20 (also called the Cherry Valley Turnpike.) And 91 (also known as Fabius-Pompey Road.) And 173 (Also called the Seneca Turnpike.) And 92. They're just roads of varying lengths and speeds. The state speed limit is 55. That's a standard "I'm driving through countryside now" speed limit. People drive 60-90 mph on them... the non-locals drive about 50. :P
There is a brief stub of a freeway component to NY-5 (end of NY-695 to Warners/NY-174?) but yeah, it's a bit of a stretch.

(And NY-695 is just a short connector between freeways... it has a single exit in one direction, but it's not really enough to count...)

Old 11-30-2012, 12:24 PM

Through Herkimer and Oneida Counties NY-5 is a real highway (NY-5S) complete with on/off ramps and such.

Its actually a great road and idea and I'd love to see some controlled access roads around the Greater Syracuse area as well but frankly by the time 5S was finished Upstate had already died and it seems kinda silly now.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:11 PM

56,969 posts, read 81,324,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Through Herkimer and Oneida Counties NY-5 is a real highway (NY-5S) complete with on/off ramps and such.

Its actually a great road and idea and I'd love to see some controlled access roads around the Greater Syracuse area as well but frankly by the time 5S was finished Upstate had already died and it seems kinda silly now.
Route 695/a portion of 5, 690 and 481 already serve the same purpose in the Syracuse area.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:34 PM

690/481 are standard by pass roads so thats to be expected.

I'd like to see something like 5S through Madison County right onto say the Blvd.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Have you been to any of these areas for period of time? It is an area with 4 seasons. So, I'm just wondering what you consider to be too short and not hot enough. This is just out of curiosity.

Also, from past interactions, all of those areas have parts of those metros that would fit much of your criteria.
Well, I like when summers get at least into the 80's, because I like to go swimming and enjoy the heat. But it seems like Syracuse doesn't even get above 70's. Basicaly, I want to be able to wear shorts in late May, June, July, August and early September. I think the summers are too short here in Hartford, so it's disappointing to see that they're even shorter in upstate NY. But I do like how those cities have a significant enough gay community, although they kind of lack young people in general. And upstate NY wouldn't be a real culture shock to me. Maybe slightly, but no big deal. And yes, the cost of living is much lower than central CT. But I do think upstate NY is a remarkably beautiful state....in the summer!

But make no mistake, I do not like snow, cold or winter at all. To me, anything under 60 degrees is cold and uncomfortable. And I hate hibernating indoors for 6 months of the year.

I was actually born in Plattsburgh, NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or