U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 10:15 PM

186 posts, read 537,776 times

Advertisements

So while searching online for cool places to explore in NY I ran across "Watkins Glen State Park". I've wanted to go check it out for awhile now but never got around to it. I honestly didn't see it happening until spring. However plans changed. I wanted to go on a road trip with the family for my birthday and checkout a part of the state we haven't see yet. At first I was thinking head east and then I changed my mind and say let's go check out Niagara falls. Well the water fall idea quickly reminded me if those pictures I saw online of "Watkins Glen State Park". So again we changed out plans.

This Saturday morning we loaded up the car and headed out to check this place out. This is the first time we've been to Watkins Glen but know about it from NASCAR. Had no idea it was such a little town. What I never would have expected is the gem they are hiding there and no it's not the lake or the race track. It's those water falls in the state park. I can not even begin to express how beautiful this place is. Put it this way. If you want to see something truly amazing in this state this needs to be very high on your list of must see locations. Seriously just go! You won't regret it. Just make 100% sure the park is open before you go. We didn't and the park was closed. Some how I was still able to get pictures. We won't discuss how this happen but it did so I figured I'd share them with you guys.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 06:27 AM

4,240 posts, read 9,660,790 times
I think the density of visual beauty here rivals Zion National Park. It's outside the Syracuse metro though so perhaps a mod should move this into the general forum.

The gorge trails in this, and the other gorge-ous State Parks near Ithaca, typically close for ice and rock fall danger, and stay closed sometimes until May.

There are other waterfall and gorge places without the closure where you can depend a little more on your own sense and capabilities, many much closer to Syracuse. See Waterfalls - New York State Waterfall GPS Survey Locations for a start if you haven't seen this site yet.

You can get close to Watkins Glen's density in PA*DCNR*-*Ricketts Glen State Park which might be 2.5 hours' drive south of you. The trails there are less artfully constructed but do remain open in winter with deserved dire warnings.

Going less than that far to the northeast would get you into ADKHighPeaks - Powered by vBulletin and a lot more crampon practice.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:58 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,955,313 times
Next adventure? Letchworth State Park - Photos, Maps, Information, Pictures

Old 12-16-2012, 10:24 AM

I hope they don't move it. It's not Syracuse but it was meant for the Syracuse people or those thinking about moving here. Many wonder what's to do out here. This shows them what can be seen with a little driving. Not to far and absolutely worth it. That was the point of posting it here.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:30 AM

3,721 posts, read 4,571,514 times
Wow! Those are great photos! I never would have guessed all that beauty was hidden there.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Yeah that one just got added to the list. Thanks to the person that has been keeping me busy with work

Old 12-16-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Wow! Those are great photos! I never would have guessed all that beauty was hidden there.
Yeah me ether. Make sure seeing this get's put high on your bucket list. Very high on that list.
And thank you for the complement about the pics.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:50 PM

94 posts, read 250,131 times
Awesome Photos! So glad you moved to New York State...:-) I'm already looking forward to seeing your next sbject.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCali View Post
Awesome Photos! So glad you moved to New York State...:-) I'm already looking forward to seeing your next sbject.
Thank you

Old 12-20-2012, 04:38 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,676,552 times
Great photos! Ithaca has a number of waterfalls as well. Chittenango has a nice fall also. Maybe consider getting an Empire State Pass. It's a pass that's $65 for a year and you get day access to all of the state parks. We got one on Cyber Monday when it was on sale. I can't wait to use it! Been too busy with the holidays, but we'll be going to a number of the parks out here next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area