U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 11:18 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,659,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I love the sun!!!!

But I do have sensitive eyes and wear sunglasses most of the time. Glare off snow is far worse then anything I have experienced in Florida.

I generally have a 500 dollar cell phone on me so avoid rain like plague.

Another thing I can't figger out is NYers are always sick. All ya hear all winter is "it's going around". Then they say the extreme cold will kill it. If that was the case places that never get cold would have everybody dead from the flu.

I wonder this year if it isn't gonna stay winter forever and just skip our brief summer outright.
Cold viruses breed indoors and stay airborne in dry indoor heated spaces, so I'd imagine people stay indoors a lot (except proulxfamily, who seems to really love being outside in the snow). Its the same here, not as much snow but plenty cold outside to keep people in. I get sick every winter. I think humidifiers keep the air wet and heavy enough to keep viruses near the ground, so I've been trying that with some success.

Another issue Upstate is probably mold. Mold is usually present in older housing, no matter what you do or how dry you keep it. Mold hates 2 things- sunlight and bleach. Lack of sun is one thing, and most people don't bleach the inside of their walls on a regular basis. Couple that with gas fired forced air heating, and its blown all over the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 11:26 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,960,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Cold viruses breed indoors and stay airborne in dry indoor heated spaces, so I'd imagine people stay indoors a lot (except proulxfamily, who seems to really love being outside in the snow). Its the same here, not as much snow but plenty cold outside to keep people in. I get sick every winter. I think humidifiers keep the air wet and heavy enough to keep viruses near the ground, so I've been trying that with some success.

Another issue Upstate is probably mold. Mold is usually present in older housing, no matter what you do or how dry you keep it. Mold hates 2 things- sunlight and bleach. Lack of sun is one thing, and most people don't bleach the inside of their walls on a regular basis. Couple that with gas fired forced air heating, and its blown all over the house.
Well there you go. lol - we have all the windows open right now. The house needs a good airing out. My husband has been super sick and doesn't go out to play with us nearly as often as we do. I told him to put on a hat and watch a movie under the covers - if he won't go outside (he likes to sled but there isn't enough for that right now), I'll bring outside in! :P Last winter, we went to a lot more outside events together. This year, he has a new schedule and is often at work when we're off, doing something. If he just went for a walk every night with us, he'd be a lot better off... he said he might start. Just being inside all the time is awful. You just sit there and mentally fester.

Get out and DO something, People!

Old 03-21-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Well there you go. lol - we have all the windows open right now. The house needs a good airing out. My husband has been super sick and doesn't go out to play with us nearly as often as we do. I told him to put on a hat and watch a movie under the covers - if he won't go outside (he likes to sled but there isn't enough for that right now), I'll bring outside in! :P Last winter, we went to a lot more outside events together. This year, he has a new schedule and is often at work when we're off, doing something. If he just went for a walk every night with us, he'd be a lot better off... he said he might start. Just being inside all the time is awful. You just sit there and mentally fester.

Get out and DO something, People!
Couldn't agree more. Like your husband, you'll catch me outside from March to December, at best. Down South, hopefully year round. And hopefully I'll get sick less!

Old 03-21-2013, 01:08 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,507,622 times
You won't catch me outside period from September to June.

In NY I mean. I love to be outside and when I'm in Florida I'm almost never inside.

But I hate hate hate the cold. I work in the freakin cold all day and all I ever wanna to do is feel warm even if its fir afew minutes. 40+ hours a week in sub freezing temps makes your life a quest for heat.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:39 PM

56,222 posts, read 80,352,519 times
Quote:
Its another situation where stats cannot tell the whole picture. You can't Google what 120" of snow feels like. That was my biggest concern when I was looking Upstate. I mean, we get 30" here, and I'm fine with that. I think I can envision what double that- 60" feels like. Perhaps I could be okay with that.

But quadruple that? 120"? Very, very hard to imagine that unless you've lived in it. I don't care what anyone says- you can't know what its like until you experience a winter or two like that. Add in the fact that its more cloudy than most other locations and it can make it worse. There are places in CA and CO and even AZ that get snow like Syracuse. But I think the difference in cloud cover and the older industrial nature of the area makes it feel colder or more bleak. Its a hard concept to get across in stats.

I always thought for me that the heat would bother me more than the snow. I spent a week last year in the Colorado desert in August. The CO residents were miserable- it was a major heat wave for them. Roads were buckling. It was 108-110 all week with relentless sunshine and it didn't really bother me. It actually made me feel alive.
I think the difference is that the snowfall in those states occur in less populated areas. Also, the snowfall is for the syracuse metro, which varies by location. So, you may get more in Oswego County, but below that average in say parts of southern Onondaga County. That is the other aspect of stats, as when looking at a metro area, the snowfall is going to vary within that area. For instance, in the Buffalo area, the snowfall totals are higher in the Southtowns, but Niagara County averages around 50 inches. So, the stats may even make people generalize in regards to the snowfall in an area.

Also, the aspect of mold is big in the south due to the humidity and temps. For instance, you'll notice that many homes in the South do not have basements.

like I mentioned during my time in the south due to going down South to say my parents' hometowns, trips to other places and my time in the military, it can get too hot as well. I've mentioned before, when I was in Basic training at Fort Jackson SC, it was 100 for days straight and the Army actually allowed us to take off our BDU top while digging foxholes, as well as roll up our pant legs so we wouldn't overheat. So, it can go both ways in terms of weather.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think the difference is that the snowfall in those states occur in less populated areas. Also, the snowfall is for the syracuse metro, which varies by location. So, you may get more in Oswego County, but below that average in say parts of southern Onondaga County. That is the other aspect of stats, as when looking at a metro area, the snowfall is going to vary within that area. For instance, in the Buffalo area, the snowfall totals are higher in the Southtowns, but Niagara County averages around 50 inches. So, the stats may even make people generalize in regards to the snowfall in an area.

Also, the aspect of mold is big in the south due to the humidity and temps. For instance, you'll notice that many homes in the South do not have basements.

like I mentioned during my time in the south due to going down South to say my parents' hometowns, trips to other places and my time in the military, it can get too hot as well. I've mentioned before, when I was in Basic training at Fort Jackson SC, it was 100 for days straight and the Army actually allowed us to take off our BDU top while digging foxholes, as well as roll up our pant legs so we wouldn't overheat. So, it can go both ways in terms of weather.
I get that southern Onondaga gets less snow, but any way you slice it, Syracuse averages 120" of snow. For the vast majority of the US, that's snow amounts that's pretty incomprehensible. Its the equivalent of 2" of snow every day for 60 days straight. I don't think that's easy for most people to understand unless you lived it.

The reason for no basements in NC is due to the red clay soil, not mold. The hard clay there does not drain, and therefore, heavy rain would flood any basement, no matter how tight it is. Also, eastern NC has a high water table.

No one is disputing the heat in the South. I wasn't trying to make anything a South vs NY comparison. But I'd also have a pretty miserable view of the Southern heat if I had to dig foxholes in it.

Last edited by VintageSunlight; 03-22-2013 at 09:26 PM..

Old 03-23-2013, 12:35 AM

56,222 posts, read 80,352,519 times
Quote:
I get that southern Onondaga gets less snow, but any way you slice it, Syracuse averages 120" of snow. For the vast majority of the US, that's snow amounts that's pretty incomprehensible. Its the equivalent of 2" of snow every day for 60 days straight. I don't think that's easy for most people to understand unless you lived it.

The reason for no basements in NC is due to the red clay soil, not mold. The hard clay there does not drain, and therefore, heavy rain would flood any basement, no matter how tight it is. Also, eastern NC has a high water table.

No one is disputing the heat in the South. I wasn't trying to make anything a South vs NY comparison. But I'd also have a pretty miserable view of the Southern heat if I had to dig foxholes in it.
That's why this forum is available in terms of describing how people deal with the snowfall in terms of having the equipment to remove it in a timely manner, how it accumulates, where it accumulates and so on. So, it isn't as cut and dry as 2 inches for 60 days and life goes on as usual due to snow removal preparedness.

Also, it is about more than digging foxholes, as this would occur during marches and ceremonies for precautionary reasons. So, again, there is something as being too hot as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area