Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 11:33 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

^I wasn't speaking to anyone in particular or said that anyone said that any place was better. I can only speak for myself. My point has always been about overall COL and how it is a wash, give or take. Plain and simple.

BTW- You can't set some taxes aside like a car/personal property tax, as it is still a tax.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-04-2013 at 11:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 11:42 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,821,765 times
^ I know you weren't speaking to me specifically, and I was just stating my perspective on the COL issue.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighphd View Post
Having lived in NC (where I am from), many NYers are surprised by the differences they find once they move to NC. For example, many, especially those moving to Charlotte or Raleigh thought they would be upgrading substantially. However, home prices (not the tax rates) are actually generally more affordable in large metro areas (Rochester, Buffalo etc.) in comparison to RDU and Charlotte. When rates were not at 3.5% this was much more of an equalizer. Additionally, the urban sprawl seems to take its toll on people. Aside from a few select parts of the major cities in NC, there is often not much of a "community" feel. The communities that are more urban and walkable with nice housing (5 points in Raleigh, around franklin street in Chapel Hill) are very expensive 400k minimum for a decent house, and probably 600k on average. Most areas rely heavily on strip malls and developments. This is fine for the vast majority of people, but often it is challenging to meet people in these types of communities.

Additionally, the Raleigh/Cary area is constantly changing school districts. So while the taxes are indeed much cheaper, your child may be re-zoned with just a few months notice. This has outraged many people. While some have posted that there is not much humidity, my guess is that they have not spent much time in NC in the summer. Aside from the coastal areas, 90 degrees in NC is miserable. Humidity is horrible in the summer here. Yes people in the early 1900s went without A/C, but that is not the case now (which is a good thing since many elderly died during the times without A/C during heat waves). Additionally, comparing Boone to Raleigh or Charlotte is like comparing Utica to NYC.

My point is not to say one is better than the other, I think NC is a great state. However, it is a state that is changing. Many are surprised at the differences in their expectations after spending a longer period here. Regardless, I think Boone would be an awesome place to live, one of the most peaceful places around and I wish you all the best!
Good post and I think that it illustrates exactly that no place is perfect for everyone. The elderly person without a vehicle might have a hard time in Raleigh, while the elderly person that can drive well and needs warmer weather for their arthritis would be better in Raleigh.

Certainly schools have to considered if moving to area. If kids are not a factor in your life, it opens up many more areas in Raleigh, as it does in Syracuse. Miserable summers in Raleigh, miserable winters in Syracuse, for most people. Which fits you better? Its all unique to the person. I find that as I get older, these fridgidly cold winters really are starting to bother me. I do like some snow though. I'm hoping to get that fix by going out to beautiful places like Boone and Asheville in the winter.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^I wasn't speaking to anyone in particular or said that anyone said that any place was better. I can only speak for myself. My point has always been about overall COL and how it is a wash, give or take. Plain and simple.

BTW- You can't set some taxes aside like a car/personal property tax, as it is still a tax.
I was focusing more on property taxes for homes in my post, as that is by far the largest chunk of money that most people spend, on the order of hundreds of dollar per month. I think the tax comparison is one comparison that has been shown to be more NC friendly. NC has the car tax, NY has higher gas tax. And on and on.... we beat that dead horse plenty.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:22 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
So the city of Syracuse leaves money on the table??

Here in Oneida we get reaccessed anytime it changes hands. The numbers they come up with would be funny to look at from afar. I'd love to sell my house for a fraction of what the city says its worth.
There are outliers of course, but I suspect, averaged out over the housing stock in the city, it's probably a wash. Plus, tax levy is essentially budget divided by value, so if every house is undervalued by 20% for assessment purposes, updating all would simply raise everyone's assessments and then lower the rate some... still the same cash flow, though not sure how that plays with the 2% per year cap.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:18 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
There are outliers of course, but I suspect, averaged out over the housing stock in the city, it's probably a wash. Plus, tax levy is essentially budget divided by value, so if every house is undervalued by 20% for assessment purposes, updating all would simply raise everyone's assessments and then lower the rate some... still the same cash flow, though not sure how that plays with the 2% per year cap.

That's kinda how I see it as well. They can word it any way makes you happen but the ammount is gonna be the same.

NY has a spending problem not a revenue problem

Old 02-04-2013, 08:35 PM

59 posts, read 200,180 times
I have a home in Chattanooga, TN with 3 bd, 1 bth in a nice neighborhood. I paid $100,500 and I'm not going to say what I pay in property taxes, utilities, gas, etc because I don't want too many northerners moving here to raise prices. I'm here in NY to help with my parents but will move back to TN as soon as I can. Being up here and paying my parents bills only reinforce the fact that the cost of living here is too high for me. I'm much better off in TN with better weather.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
We did challenge the assessment and went all the way to NYS assessment board - we lost. Big shocker there [NOT].

There are no other property tax exemptions to take until I turn 65 and then I can get the senior citizen discount. I won't turn 65 for another 19 years, if I even live that long (doubt it).

The Town of Sullivan does have snow removal (I stated that in my original post). In the end property taxes in New York State are OUTRAGEOUS and getting worse each year (especially the school taxes).

I calculated that 48%-52% of my income goes toward taxes PER YEAR. That includes all the NYS/County/Town taxes (utility, phone, gas, income, property, sales, regulation fees, etc.). Yeah, my income sucks, but that is still a lot to pay in taxes, percentage wise.

I now know why many small businesses can not make it in NYS, the taxes are unbearable for a small business just starting out. Sorry, I call it like it is, and I have lived in NYS for most of my 46 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty514 View Post
I have a home in Chattanooga, TN with 3 bd, 1 bth in a nice neighborhood. I paid $100,500 and I'm not going to say what I pay in property taxes, utilities, gas, etc because I don't want too many northerners moving here to raise prices. I'm here in NY to help with my parents but will move back to TN as soon as I can. Being up here and paying my parents bills only reinforce the fact that the cost of living here is too high for me. I'm much better off in TN with
better weather.
It is understandable discussing the weather up here currently, but it is the same for summers in much of the South. You can find homes for that price and with that many bedrooms/bathrooms in nice areas up here as well: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Old 02-05-2013, 03:57 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,040 times
Most of those houses need some work. Some need alot.

All have taxes in the 400+ per month range.

Thats the kinda thing those COL calculators miss. They have an average property tax number for example 200$ a month. But NY is out of control at 400$. So first month here you got a 200 dollar a month hole blown in your budget.

Then the 400 a month in state income taxes (my number, others will vary).

So using just those two things your missing 600 dollars a month scratching your head where it went.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Most of those houses need some work. Some need alot.

All have taxes in the 400+ per month range.

Thats the kinda thing those COL calculators miss. They have an average property tax number for example 200$ a month. But NY is out of control at 400$. So first month here you got a 200 dollar a month hole blown in your budget.

Then the 400 a month in state income taxes (my number, others will vary).

So using just those two things your missing 600 dollars a month scratching your head where it went.
You have to remember that the tax number isn't set in stone and many times doesn't include the Basic STAR exemption. Some may need work, but that varies and many are liveable, while you do things as you go along living there. Some calculators do factor in the tax as well for housing.

You could also say that things like personal property tax aren't included on those calculators, because the taxable items under that law will vary by home. For instance, not only cars are taxed, but so are boats and motorcycles. Some counties give you an exemption on this tax if you have a certain amount of them. Individual Personal Property

Types of Property to be Taxed

FL Dept Rev - Tangible Personal Property

Also, if anything, taxes in regards to companies and creating jobs through innovation are probably more important for Upstate NY.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-05-2013 at 05:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area