U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 12:43 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,706,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post

NY has a spending problem not a revenue problem
Absolutely! When my credit card is maxed out, I have to pay it off before I can use it again. Not NY....nope we just borrow it so we're in debt up to our eyeballs and trying to keep up with the Jones'.....while we have lobster and caviar tastes we have an outhouse for a checking account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 12:50 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,706,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I get that, but where does VA make up the tax difference and how much would that house be listed for in the same area? I'm not trying to argue(not that I was before), but trying to get a comparison due to home prices in Henrico County VA being higher on average and overall cost of living being roughly the same.
They do what New Hampshire does.....sales tax! True, NH doesn't have sales tax on everything. They do have it on dining out, hotels, and car rentals. When I was in VA last summer, the sales tax on our lunch was over 11%!!! So yeah, their property taxes are less, they DO get it out of you and others somehow. To say everyone should ALWAYS eat home is unrealistic and foolish.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:02 PM

13,320 posts, read 20,101,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkerstudios View Post
""Did I see wood paneling in the bedrooms of the NC house? haha

Anyways, if you are looking to buy a house in the middle of nowhere in CNY you will not be paying $9,000 in property taxes for a $150,000 house. My house in liverpool is assessed at roughly $150,000 and my taxes are under $5,000.""

Wood paneling can be easily replaced - punitive taxes not so easily.
I picked these two places because they are about as close to the job opportunities as I could find.
Under $5000 in taxes, well if your house was in western nc it would be about $600/yr - wouldnt you like to have $4,400 more in your pocket? I would.
I understand you completely Walker. Your giving an example of two homes that "sort of" compare.
Towns that would feel similar, in weather and likeness.

Yes, many people are moving south because of taxes. It is the first and foremost reason New York and New Jersey families are coming this way. ( believe me...I see the plates)

I left a home quite equal to the home I am in now. It cost me $6,000 in taxes there. I pay only $300 here.
That is a nice check to the town I do not have to make out anymore.

In SC we are supplemented by the tourist taxes and hotel taxes so we are not going to rise up drastically because so many more here.

People do find there are more winter things to do while in the South. You can get out and about more.
While NY is beautiful in most areas, those taxes are hard on many a pocketbook.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:04 PM

13,320 posts, read 20,101,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Absolutely! When my credit card is maxed out, I have to pay it off before I can use it again. Not NY....nope we just borrow it so we're in debt up to our eyeballs and trying to keep up with the Jones'.....while we have lobster and caviar tastes we have an outhouse for a checking account.
Oh that's to cute of a saying...I think when you live south you don't have an " outhouse for a checking account".

Old 02-18-2013, 06:12 PM

1,070 posts, read 1,374,611 times
People are leaving upstate new york, because there are no jobs. If there were good jobs, not one would leave. Upstate new york is gorgeous....

Old 02-18-2013, 09:23 PM

56,266 posts, read 80,446,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I understand you completely Walker. Your giving an example of two homes that "sort of" compare.
Towns that would feel similar, in weather and likeness.

Yes, many people are moving south because of taxes. It is the first and foremost reason New York and New Jersey families are coming this way. ( believe me...I see the plates)

I left a home quite equal to the home I am in now. It cost me $6,000 in taxes there. I pay only $300 here.
That is a nice check to the town I do not have to make out anymore.

In SC we are supplemented by the tourist taxes and hotel taxes so we are not going to rise up drastically because so many more here.

People do find there are more winter things to do while in the South. You can get out and about more.
While NY is beautiful in most areas, those taxes are hard on many a pocketbook.
Actually, those communities are different, as one is a small college town in the mountains, while the other is a quaint village that has a college and is arguably the most affluent community in its metro. Boone is more in line with Oneonta or Plattsburgh, not Clinton.

Latina7, that's basically it and even that depends on one's skills/education. In this area, eds and meds, along with engineering seems to be doing well and has openings. This website: Central New York Jobs and the indeed website shows what is available.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:33 PM

365 posts, read 724,125 times
The age old debate about taxes. Yes they are high but you do have to consider everything.

My biggest problem is my sinus and joint pain through the winter-when the Lake effect storms roll off of Lake Ontario I just hurt like mad. Last year was easy-this year has been real rough. So what do you do? Pack up and move-or try and find solutions to the problem.

I do love my dairy farm neighbors though and feel extremely safe where I live-if I could just not ache so bad during the winter!!

Old 02-21-2013, 01:14 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,510,118 times
This winter does seem to have dug in its heels.

Vicks vapor bong helps with the sinus's. joint pain is just part of living in NY.

Getting old ain't for sissies.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:34 PM

56,266 posts, read 80,446,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TughillTina View Post
The age old debate about taxes. Yes they are high but you do have to consider everything.

My biggest problem is my sinus and joint pain through the winter-when the Lake effect storms roll off of Lake Ontario I just hurt like mad. Last year was easy-this year has been real rough. So what do you do? Pack up and move-or try and find solutions to the problem.

I do love my dairy farm neighbors though and feel extremely safe where I live-if I could just not ache so bad during the winter!!
Sounds like winter trips to the Southwest are in order.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:57 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,510,118 times
The Southeast is dry as a popcorn fart this time of year as well.

When I get to Florida no kidding I shed 10 years right away. Feel like a kid again.

I go through this with my wife almost everyday. Mine has been a life full of hard work with a strong back and a weak mind. This time of year I am in pain pretty much 24/7. June, July and August are the only pain free months.

And she's like why can't you learn to love NY?? Gee golly maybe I don't like being in pain all the time!!!

Baaaa, best compromise I could get was a hot tub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area