U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 09:17 AM

8 posts, read 23,581 times

Advertisements

Hi. Just noticed your post and was wondering if you made the move? Our family is moving to the Syracuse area in the next couple of months and we were wondering if you have any advice. Our son is 9 and I most concerned about getting him into a nice neighborhood so he can have friends and be a kid if you know what I mean. Thanks in advance for ANY advice anyone has.
We are on our way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 11:11 PM

2,359 posts, read 8,181,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf222 View Post
Hi,
THANK you 10,000 times. Yes you got the right house and the right tree in front. Don't know why but for last couple years I have been thinking a lot about that old house, the tree I planted from a sapling they gave the kids at school as part of the "Johnny Apple Seed" project they promoted in school. Believge I was in First Grade that year which would make it now 51 years ago.

The road that goes by the left side of house they put in when I was 4 or 5 years old. There was a Cherry tree growing right in the middle and on that tree grew the most beautiful flower that I still gow each year in my garden no matter what part of the world I am living in. Was a viney plant called Morning Glory. The light blue trumpeted blossom that opens before the Sun rises and closes again by mid morning, hence the name Morning Glory. I remember a a little tike crying as the road men were getting ready to cut down the tree. Ran into my house and broke open my piggy bank. Took all three pennies out and ran back offering them all the money I had if they would just not cut down that Cherry tree and ruin the Monring Glories. Was my first awakening to "modern progress", one I have never forgotten which proably accounts for why I have a garden no matter where I live.
Thanks again how do award points...been months since I was last on the forum
Gandalf
You're welcome! Been so long, I almost forgot about you. Glad I photographed the right house. I wasn't sure....

Great to hear about your garden. I really enjoy gardening too....

To award points? Just click on the scales on the top right.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:15 AM

69 posts, read 200,218 times
The pics are nice & make me want to move back to CNY! If only the wife would go for it....

Does anyone know why Camillus rates as a "5" for violent crime and "8" for property crime (scale 1-10, 10 being worst) on bestplaces.net? I remember the area (or at least I think I do) and I don't remember it being rough.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:40 PM

AZParents thanks!

Those crime rate statistics do not sound right to me either. Maybe Moderator cut: link removed is only measuring the Village of Camillus?

Last edited by Yac; 12-04-2007 at 02:49 AM..

Old 11-20-2007, 01:05 PM

8 posts, read 24,943 times
My husband and son just got back from Camillus - I can now say, I have seen pictures of the beautiful town of Camillus in Winter. As a California Kid, the cold weather took my son by surprize, but after getting some cold winter gloves and a down vest - he was ready to go see the Big football game and enjoy the first snow of the season. Can anyone suggest to me their choice in the following items:

Good outdoor footwear for high school kids (my boys only wear tennis shoes now - what do most kids wear to keep feet dry and warm)
Snow blower (any suggestions for the best type??)

Any other suggestion for clothing items and equipment would be great!! Thanks

Last edited by Movineast; 11-20-2007 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: not done!!

Old 11-20-2007, 05:12 PM

48 posts, read 189,015 times
I am making a serious consideration to move to Camillus (and commute to Syracuse).

Does Camillus have a "Main Street" type area? A strip of Mom & Pop kind of places? Or is it just spread out with houses and strip malls? It's a gorgeous area, was just wondering if there is some 'old school', closely knit business district? Mainly, a place I can go to for some shopping and then walk down the sidewalk to grab a bite to eat or a drink?

Old 11-26-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiseco View Post
I am making a serious consideration to move to Camillus (and commute to Syracuse).

Does Camillus have a "Main Street" type area? A strip of Mom & Pop kind of places? Or is it just spread out with houses and strip malls? It's a gorgeous area, was just wondering if there is some 'old school', closely knit business district? Mainly, a place I can go to for some shopping and then walk down the sidewalk to grab a bite to eat or a drink?
The Village of Camillus (which is located in the western part of the town) does have a main street, though the village is somewhat run-down. I doubt there are enough shops or restaurants to draw you to walk down the Main Street for shopping. The Town of Camillus is mostly houses and strip malls. You could always drive out to Skaneateles if you feel the urge to walk down a nice main street with shops and places to eat....

Movineast, nothing comes to mind right now. Hopefully others will chime to help....

Old 11-26-2007, 07:26 PM

Community in Camillus makes "Best Places to Raise Your Kids, 2007"

No. 27
Fairmount, N.Y.
Population: 10,795
Median household income: $48,329

OnBoard Scoring

Total: 291.31
Test scores: 92.42 (42nd)
Cost of living: 90.81 (26th)
Recreational/cultural activities: 22.73 (20th)
Schools: 0.54 (42nd)
Crime: 84.81 (39th)

Best Places to Raise Your Kids, 2007 - BusinessWeek

Sadly, they made a mistake and stated Rochester is the closest city to Fairmount, when in reality Fairmount is a suburb of Syracuse....

Old 06-17-2008, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,836 times
Default Fairmount Fair Mall / Pictures ?

Does anybody have any pictures / adds / etc from the old Fairmount Fair Mall ? Either inside or outside photos. Anything @ all would be great...

If so please please please let me know, send me an email @
[EMAIL="bellmi53@yahoo.com"]bellmi53@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]

Old 03-16-2009, 04:03 PM

161 posts, read 319,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
One word of caution. Avoid driving the direct route from Onondaga Hill to downtown Syracuse as much as possible. That road goes through and near some of worst hoods in the city. Onondaga Hill to Interstate 81 (exit 16A) should be fine, as it traverses the Valley section of the city mostly.
Why the fear of driving down South Ave? Its just ugly, not dangerous. The route you give through the valley takes almost twice as long to get downtown as driving down South Ave to South Salina. I don't know anyone who has ever had a problem drivng through there except that you see poor people (oh no!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area