U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 01:47 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,509,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
Orlando. I would not live in NY state if I did not have family here. It is expensive and getting more so every year.

My grandparents live in Myrtle Beach in the winter and keep their heat at 45F at their house in Northern NY. They just paid their fuel bill of $900 and that was for just over a month. They have the place closed up, windows covered with board insulation, and thermostat at 45F. I can't imagine what it would be if they lived here. Grandma just said they are going to have to put it on the market this year, too expensive to keep it when they only live in it for 6 months out of the year.
That does seem high, but it can get super cold up there.

It would make much more sense if that was say from just after Christmas when many snowbirds leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 02:00 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,661,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In terms of snowfall, it is probably under average in the immediate Syracuse area. While there have been some cold days, many times when it has been cold, it has been sunny. Right now, it is around 40 and there is hardly any snow on or near campus.

As for the OP, I think DeWitt may be a good fit.
Oh, mild in terms of snowfall. I thought you mean temperature. Cause its been wicked cold there.

Its been a very cloudy winter in the northeast everywhere. The news here stated that yesterday was the first non-cloudy day in two weeks here. Today its fiercely cloudy again, and we're gonna get 6" of snow. Winter can't be over soon enough.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:07 PM

Been one of the worst winters I have ever seen. Most years we get a warm day here and again, maybe even a quick shot of the sun.

This year just cold and gloom with out end. Looks like we may get a quick look at the sun on Saturday. And Sunday is gonna be gloom and not warm but at least not cold either.

I hate every single minute of cold days. The sun would be nice. Don't really care about snow.

Jesus I'm getting mad just thinking about how much I hate winter

Old 03-06-2013, 02:22 PM

56,251 posts, read 80,408,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Oh, mild in terms of snowfall. I thought you mean temperature. Cause its been wicked cold there.

Its been a very cloudy winter in the northeast everywhere. The news here stated that yesterday was the first non-cloudy day in two weeks here. Today its fiercely cloudy again, and we're gonna get 6" of snow. Winter can't be over soon enough.
Even that hasn't been consistently the case. Like I mentioned earlier, it is around 40 degrees out right now and much of the snow on or around campus is pretty much gone. So, even that has varied.

I don't think we are going to get that storm, but we'll see and the cloudiness has been pretty strong this winter. Sunday, the high is forecasted to be 55 degrees, actually: Weather in Syracuse - AccuWeather Forecast for NY 13205

Old 03-06-2013, 02:26 PM

1,537 posts, read 2,208,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Like I mentioned earlier, it is around 40 degrees out right now and much of the snow on or around campus is pretty much gone. So, even that has varied. [/url]
To most of the country 40 degrees is cold. There isn't much snow on the ground, but there is no sun either. Grey and clouds all day long. I saw the sun yesterday for about an hour. It was memorable because it has been so long.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:53 PM

40 is very cold. We never got that high over here anyway.

37 is my shop right now waiting for the heater to start warming it up. I play this game every night. Start the heater and by 8 pm it finally gets it up to high 40's and I shut it off and go to bed. It's a stupid and extremely expensive little game (propane) but makes me feel I am at least trying to fight back.

Bottom line no matter hiw you slice it is in NY you get June July and August. And maybe on a good year 3 other nice days.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
To most of the country 40 degrees is cold. There isn't much snow on the ground, but there is no sun either. Grey and clouds all day long. I saw the sun yesterday for about an hour. It was memorable because it has been so long.
I'm talking in relative terms and the sun did make an appearance early in the afternoon today. Many parts of the country don't have 4 seasons either.

Actually, Fall is probably the most consistent season and isn't too bad in terms of temps(usually).

Old 03-07-2013, 04:17 AM

927 posts, read 1,049,596 times
I agree 40 is generally cold, but not for March.

I checked with Grandma because I thought $900 seems high for a month and she said since last time they filled the tank, so I don't know how long its been. Maybe 2, because I know they had it filled around Christmas and Grandpa thought that one was high and made my husband go over and check to make sure the thermostat was on 45F.

Any word on how the OP made out with her move?

Old 03-07-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
I agree 40 is generally cold, but not for March.

I checked with Grandma because I thought $900 seems high for a month and she said since last time they filled the tank, so I don't know how long its been. Maybe 2, because I know they had it filled around Christmas and Grandpa thought that one was high and made my husband go over and check to make sure the thermostat was on 45F.

Any word on how the OP made out with her move?
I think the OP has some time before the move, but I could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area