Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 03:57 PM
j1n j1n started this thread

1,245 posts, read 4,658,382 times

Advertisements

Ok, here's one for you.
Where I grew up near NYC in NJ, we had places like Irvington, Newark, Camden, Trenton, etc that were largely considered "bad areas" or "crime-ridden". Where I am now in the southeast, my city shows higher than the US average crime rates. But you'd never know it just living here and walking around and such. Seriously, this feels like one of the safest places that I've ever lived. So I'm thinking that the crime rate is likely inflated by non-physically threatening types of things like not paying your child support, vagrancy, etc...?
Syracuse violent crime rates are exactly the same as where I am now. And property crime is just a bit lower than where I am now (encouraging since Syracuse is approx half again as big as where I am now).
So after all that, I guess the question is... does Syracuse feel safe? Are there areas "you just don't drive through"? I know that every city has areas we'd rather avoid, but any real, honest to goodness no-go zones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 04:18 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
Ok, here's one for you.
Where I grew up near NYC in NJ, we had places like Irvington, Newark, Camden, Trenton, etc that were largely considered "bad areas" or "crime-ridden". Where I am now in the southeast, my city shows higher than the US average crime rates. But you'd never know it just living here and walking around and such. Seriously, this feels like one of the safest places that I've ever lived. So I'm thinking that the crime rate is likely inflated by non-physically threatening types of things like not paying your child support, vagrancy, etc...?
Syracuse violent crime rates are exactly the same as where I am now. And property crime is just a bit lower than where I am now (encouraging since Syracuse is approx half again as big as where I am now).
So after all that, I guess the question is... does Syracuse feel safe? Are there areas "you just don't drive through"? I know that every city has areas we'd rather avoid, but any real, honest to goodness no-go zones?
You can drive anywhere but I'd avoid a good number of side streets on the near sides of the city, to err on the side of caution. Don't go smiling and nodding to people on the sidewalk on those streets... I'm just not sure what the names of those streets are. And in cold weather, you'd probably not even notice.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:13 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,386 times
I haven't found a street I won't drive down yet and my daily commute takes me through some of the sketchiest parts of the city. I wouldn't live there, but I will drive through. Don't do drugs, don't join a gang and you are fine.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:39 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I haven't found a street I won't drive down yet and my daily commute takes me through some of the sketchiest parts of the city. I wouldn't live there, but I will drive through. Don't do drugs, don't join a gang and you are fine.
^ Pretty much. In the area, the South Side has the most notorious rep, but the further south you go, the better it gets. Other parts are pretty much the inner neighborhoods on the other sides of town and this will vary by size and degree. Essentially, each side of the city will have its rough and nice/solid/decent areas or neighborhoods, to some degree. I'd say that the city's East Side is viewed as the nicest side of town and is most likely due to the proximity to 2 colleges/universities and a few hospitals. Same goes for the Eastern suburbs, which tend to be more affluent. Suburban areas in other parts of town are largely fine too.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:34 PM

288 posts, read 510,171 times
Syracuse is extremely safe...Last year we had a whopping 13 murders!...Buffalo, NY had 53 which has a population a little less than double the size of Syracuse; so if we doubled the murder rate, that would only make it 26 murders. Not to mention the city of Syracuse is adding around 20 cameras in the city, and crime as a whole is going down throughout NY State. Not to mention, Syracuse is a huge sports town, we have the biggest basketball games in the world, and an up-and-coming football team who is currently building a new athletic facility. Also, we have the 6th largest mall with exclusive restaurants, and comedy clubs found in bigger cities. Not to mention a 350 million dollar inner harbor that is being built right across the street from the mall, and a 350 million dollar mix-use development being built about 5 miles away at Kennedy Square. The one bad thing about this city, are the negative nancys like "sean" who make false things up like Syracuse's dt is 80% abandoned. It's actually the opposite, especially since Syracuse's downtown has recently seen a huge boom with several revitalization projects. Recently, Syracuse has had 1.5 billion in new projects. But people like sean who lives 40 minutes outside the city in a little rinky-dink town think Syracuse is the worst place on earth because they never see any crime out in the sticks, and have no clue what cities like Miami, Atlanta, New Orleans, Baltimore, Detroit, St.Louis and Birmingham are really like.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:37 PM

Where are those $1.5B coming from?

Old 03-14-2013, 03:44 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,040 times
Why the money is coming from the suberbs of coarse.

Not all of it though. A lot of its being borrowed in the names of the children of people from the suburbs.

But by god were gonna prop that corpse up if it bankrupts the whole state.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:47 PM

Exactly. If it's such a great investment, there'd be private investors lining up. (And no, I don't mean being taxed from our private incomes and having them be redistributed to poor investments. :P)

Old 03-14-2013, 04:08 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,040 times
But but but Syracuse has a mall and like chain restaurants and stuff.

It's a great deal. If enough people drive by all the locally owned places that pay taxes to get to the mall that doesn't pay taxes to spend money at chain places that send all profits to our of state headquarters everything will be ok.

Maybe they can consolidate and tap into the suburbs cash.

See ya just gotta have faith. Sounds like a great plan to me.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:06 PM

288 posts, read 510,171 times
It's spelled course not coarse, and if they get tax breaks does that mean these projects are not going under way? Does that mean 80 percent of downtown is vacant? Does that mean states such as South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, and Texas give no tax breaks to businesses and retail? Last I checked they all did. So, nice try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area