U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 05:54 AM
j1n j1n started this thread

1,237 posts, read 4,137,005 times

Advertisements

hey shawn88, thanks for the good reply a few posts back. As far as the murders in Syracuse (and not to minimize murder), but chances are that those 13 were either because of domestic situations, over drugs, etc. I'm thinking they weren't random murders of strangers on the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 06:27 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,509,024 times
People look at murders in different ways. Most Upstate NYers (78% of the people in the "Syracuse area" do not live in Syracuse) live where murder just doesn't happen. So to a normal Upstater murder is something that happens elsewhere.

If 13 is the number for last year and Syracuse has about a buck 45K people without doing alot of math that puts the murder rate at about 9.5%ish. Thats double the national murder rate of 4.7% out the gate.

So Syracuse is a bloody city by any standard. Now factor in that the 78% of Syracuse area people and prolly 90% of Upstaters overall that do not live in cities we are comparing our basically ZERO% murder rates to a postage stamp sized city with double the national average, Syracuse is only about 5 miles wide.

So with literally hundreds of square miles to roam with zero chance of being killed by simply avoiding a little 25sq/mi patch its easy to see why most do. The only reason anyone would have thats legit to be in Syracuse is the school with its own security force and the hospitals which are also fairly secure. There isn't any other reason to go to Syracuse. Anything you would ever need is available in the safe suburbs.

It dawned on me this week that as my hometown was reeling from 4 murders, which is prolly about the past 200 years combined total for that area, the people of Syracuse just consider that a busy weekend.

Ok, this looks bad for me.....................as I was typing safe suburb I got a text that a 10yo was raped and her mother murdered last night in Clay.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn88 View Post
It's spelled course not coarse, and if they get tax breaks does that mean these projects are not going under way? Does that mean 80 percent of downtown is vacant? Does that mean states such as South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, and Texas give no tax breaks to businesses and retail? Last I checked they all did. So, nice try.
Ok how do we get an exact number??

Do we count the street level parts or the whole building??

I've walked the entire DT Syracuse area, end to end as defined by the posters here at CD and inline with the maps put out by the city itself.

I contend that 80% of the street level of DT Syracuse is abandoned. Except for a small tavern district and some government buildings I can't recall much of anything being open. Maybe a couple beauty supply places and a cell phone store. But comparing the square footage of the abandoned places its not even close.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:44 AM

56,248 posts, read 80,408,935 times
Most, if not all of the homicides are between people that know each other, a certain lifestyle, etc. Syracuse averages around 15-16 homicides a year for about 20-30 years. It has to be put into perspective as the national average includes places of various sizes from Podunk towns to NYC. For cities of a similar size, Syracuse is average at best in that regard. Most people in metro areas live outside of city limits.

While that incident did occur, that is very rare for that area.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Most, if not all of the homicides are between people that know each other, a certain lifestyle, etc. Syracuse averages around 15-16 homicides a year for about 20-30 years. It has to be put into perspective as the national average includes places of various sizes from Podunk towns to NYC. For cities of a similar size, Syracuse is average at best in that regard. Most people in metro areas live outside of city limits.

While that incident did occur, that is very rare for that area.
The part in bold is the important part. Since nearly all murders in the area, prolly 99% or so, happen in Syracuse if you just make it a point to avoid that one tiny little area your pretty much golden.

Note that I said Syracuse is about double the NATIONAL average. Its actually like 3 times the NYS average and that includes NYC.

It is a dangerous little town.

I agree that the event in Clay while incredibly sad is also extremely rare.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Ok how do we get an exact number??

Do we count the street level parts or the whole building??

I've walked the entire DT Syracuse area, end to end as defined by the posters here at CD and inline with the maps put out by the city itself.

I contend that 80% of the street level of DT Syracuse is abandoned. Except for a small tavern district and some government buildings I can't recall much of anything being open. Maybe a couple beauty supply places and a cell phone store. But comparing the square footage of the abandoned places its not even close.
Is it the city or Downtown now? I don't think even 80% of Downtown is abandoned. Too much of it is, but I wouldn't say 80%. Downtown Syracuse

Old 03-15-2013, 07:01 AM

Well my first post referenced DT and the 80% number and that's still were I am.

Not sure where you are.

Find a way to get a sq/ft count and we'll see about the 80% mark. Thats my personal observation.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
The part in bold is the important part. Since nearly all murders in the area, prolly 99% or so, happen in Syracuse if you just make it a point to avoid that one tiny little area your pretty much golden.

Note that I said Syracuse is about double the NATIONAL average. Its actually like 3 times the NYS average and that includes NYC.

It is a dangerous little town.

I agree that the event in Clay while incredibly sad is also extremely rare.
Again, you are comparing Syracuse with all towns versus cities of a similar size, in which it is average in that regard. There are plenty of neighborhoods that are fine within city limits. So, that's why I said that you have to put it into perspective.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:12 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,961,934 times
Quote:
If 13 is the number for last year and Syracuse has about a buck 45K people without doing alot of math that puts the murder rate at about 9.5%ish. Thats double the national murder rate of 4.7% out the gate.
What you did is divide 13 by 145.

It's 13 / 145,000. Your "without doing alot of math" hits it right on the head.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Again, you are comparing Syracuse with all towns versus cities of a similar size, in which it is average in that regard. There are plenty of neighborhoods that are fine within city limits. So, that's why I said that you have to put it into perspective.

Your way over complicating this.

If not getting murdered is important to a person, and to many of us its a factor, just avoiding the City of Syracuse NY lines brings your odds down to zero or nearly so.

Your listing it as a street by street thing. Right turn here, fine, left turn certain death. I guess that edgy kinda street cred stuff appeals to some. About 20% of this area.

The other 80% of us don't even consider murder. Outside of Syracuse there isn't a single place in this area I would even consider to have even the slightest chance of getting murdered outside of once a century random events that can not be planned for.

Avoiding Syracuse is pretty easy.

The OP asked about Syracuse in and around. He also mentioned crime and Syracuse wasn't any better then where he was. Well most of the towns around here have ZERO murders so that should appeal to him.

This past week murder outside the city does seem to have spiked and I hope its just an anomaly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area