Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 02:30 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times

Advertisements

How would you describe SYRACUSE to someone who has never been there?

I've browsed around google maps on Syracuse. Looks like it has some great older buildings, lots of trees, a relatively large downtown in relation to population, and some ethnic restaurants and such scattered about.

But, that's just google maps. What more am I missing, how would you describe your city to someone who hasn't been there? Functionality, ethnic groups, convenience of downtown, usage of downtown, more urban or more suburban-oriented, perceptions of crime/gangs/etc., and whatever else you can think of....??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 07:26 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Downtown: improving slowly, but surely with an increasing market for housing. Some areas are better then others(Armory Square, Hanover Square and Clinton Square). Mainly during the late Spring to early Fall, there are festivals of all kinds(cultural, musical, Taste of Syracuse, etc.). Clinton Square has an outdoor skating rink and a tree lighting in December.

Crime: South Side is the most notorious side of town, but the further south, the better. Inner neighborhoods on the the other sides of town can be rough as well. This does vary in terms of volume and in footprint size. You may have gangs that aren't as organized as they are in bigger cities, but they there. Other areas may have crime, but serious crime is less common.

Ethnic/Racial groups: In terms of percentages, Syracuse is about 52% White, 31% Black, 8% Hispanic, 6% Asian and 1% Native American, give or take and depending on how identifies. North Side, especially the inner neighborhoods, is very diverse. Once known for its German and later Italian communities, it has quite a few refugees/immigrants from SE and South Asia, East and West Africa along with other ethnic groups. There is still a decent Italian presence though. South Side in varying degrees is mostly African American until the Valley and Strathmore neighborhoods. East Side is diverse due to the Syracuse University/college presence. It is also known for its Jewish population and is probably the nicest side of the city. West Side is also very diverse with a strong ethnic character. Hispanics, mainly Puerto Rican, are concentrated in the Near West Side neighborhood. Irish are concentrated in Tipperary Hill and the West End. Polish are generally around Park Avenue. Ukrainians are also on Tipperary Hill closer to West Fayette Street. It isn't as clear cut as this, but you will notice the presence of those groups. There is also a Polish presence around Teall and Burnet in the way of Transfiguration Catholic Church, which still holds a mass in Polish and a Polish Club. Native Americans within the city tend to live in either the Near West Side or Valley neighborhoods. Again, it isn't necessarily cut and dry, but this is a rough idea of ethnic/racial groups within the city of Syracuse.

I'll try to add more later, but hopefully others will chime in as well.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:55 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,781,397 times
America's snowiest metropolitan area, although largely a function of airport location relative to town compared to Buffalo and Rochester. Snow is dealt with quickly although contributes to the very high levels of property taxation relative to home value characteristic of upstate NY.

Even in the inner city homes typically have front lawns and space between the sidewalk and the curb line. That helps with snow management, in mid-January there might be a 6' linear pile of snow between sidewalk and curb. On-street parking is restricted, see City of Syracuse

Very few row homes compared to corridor Northeast and mid-Atlantic cities. A two-family house is more likely to be a cut up former single house, vs. the type of side-by-side called a semi-detached (and often separately deeded too) in PA/MD.

The water supply is disinfected but unfiltered. City of Syracuse Surface water filtration is nearly universal in the USA now, but Syracuse still takes advantage of an exception to EPA rules principally used by (and created for) one other city in NY State.

Compared to Buffalo and Rochester the city is less flat and less planned/blocked out. But the hilliness and street jumble is less extreme than, say, Pittsburgh, yielding a pleasantly irregular arrangement. Yet traffic as it is known in the corridor cities is nearly unknown in Syracuse, especially if you exclude the northern suburbs from consideration - although there are a couple of eastern suburban choke points too.

There are many fine mid-20th century homes still within the city limits, in some places you can imagine yourself in one of the boroughs of Bergen County, NJ - but without the price tag, and certainly without the economic opportunity. Syracuse is a trade center for an expansive but population and economically shrinking region. Unlike Pittsburgh, deindustrialization in Syracuse was accompanied by corporate abandonment. There are good bones in Syracuse but it's a bit hard to see where new flesh will be coming from.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
America's snowiest metropolitan area, although largely a function of airport location relative to town compared to Buffalo and Rochester. Snow is dealt with quickly although contributes to the very high levels of property taxation relative to home value characteristic of upstate NY.

Even in the inner city homes typically have front lawns and space between the sidewalk and the curb line. That helps with snow management, in mid-January there might be a 6' linear pile of snow between sidewalk and curb. On-street parking is restricted, see City of Syracuse

Very few row homes compared to corridor Northeast and mid-Atlantic cities. A two-family house is more likely to be a cut up former single house, vs. the type of side-by-side called a semi-detached (and often separately deeded too) in PA/MD.

The water supply is disinfected but unfiltered. City of Syracuse Surface water filtration is nearly universal in the USA now, but Syracuse still takes advantage of an exception to EPA rules principally used by (and created for) one other city in NY State.

Compared to Buffalo and Rochester the city is less flat and less planned/blocked out. But the hilliness and street jumble is less extreme than, say, Pittsburgh, yielding a pleasantly irregular arrangement. Yet traffic as it is known in the corridor cities is nearly unknown in Syracuse, especially if you exclude the northern suburbs from consideration - although there are a couple of eastern suburban choke points too.

There are many fine mid-20th century homes still within the city limits, in some places you can imagine yourself in one of the boroughs of Bergen County, NJ - but without the price tag, and certainly without the economic opportunity. Syracuse is a trade center for an expansive but population and economically shrinking region. Unlike Pittsburgh, deindustrialization in Syracuse was accompanied by corporate abandonment. There are good bones in Syracuse but it's a bit hard to see where new flesh will be coming from.
Good point about the corporate abandonment, with the exception of Carrier, which has some Engineering/R&D jobs in the area. As of now, the potential job growth may come from local companies like Anaren, Sensis/SAAB, Syracuse Research Corporation, etc. or with something coming out of the Bio Tech Center and/or Center of Excellence. Right now it is largely Eds and Meds along with Insurance/Risk Management, but there needs to be growth in other areas.

There was some slight growth in population in the metro area between 2000-2010 and it has held relatively steady since. Within Syracuse, the population loss was at 1% during that time frame and has been relatively steady since.

In terms of walkable neighborhoods, Westcott, Eastwood and Downtown are probably the best bets, among maybe a few others within the city of Syracuse. Villages in the area offer a varying degree of at least decent walkability too.

Also, there are sporting and art events within the city like Syracuse University sports, AHL Hockey, Pro Indoor Soccer and International League Baseball along with Syracuse Stage, Syracuse Opera, Symphony Syracuse and art galleries.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-23-2013 at 12:06 PM..

Old 04-23-2013, 11:45 AM

628 posts, read 662,792 times
Typical east coast city. Meaning:

Historic ethinic neighborhoods such as Italian on the north side and Irish on Tip Hill. Amazing family owned restaurants in these areas - probably the best food of any city its size. Stop into any barbershop or butcher to get a great story of the "old neighborhood."

Downtown: amazing architecture. I'm no expert so I will bow out to someone who can explain the time periods and styles of the buildings. What I do know is that they produce a beautiful and historic feel.
Specifically, the Armory square section of downtown is very vibrant shopping and entertainment district.

University Hill: like most other east coast privates, Syracuse University has its share of neogothic buildings and tightly clustered fraternity houses. Very picturesque campus.

Green movement: unlike other cities in the region, Syracuse has made a strong push at "green living." Bike trails flow through the city and the creekwalk streams right through the heart of downtown.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:04 AM

11 posts, read 21,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
How would you describe SYRACUSE to someone who has never been there?

I've browsed around google maps on Syracuse. Looks like it has some great older buildings, lots of trees, a relatively large downtown in relation to population, and some ethnic restaurants and such scattered about.

But, that's just google maps. What more am I missing, how would you describe your city to someone who hasn't been there? Functionality, ethnic groups, convenience of downtown, usage of downtown, more urban or more suburban-oriented, perceptions of crime/gangs/etc., and whatever else you can think of....??
Surrounded by green rolling hills, dotted with lakes and ancient hamlets. A city with a gorgeous university and many beautiful, livable neighborhoods. Some bad neighborhoods, but nothing out of the ordinary for a city of its size - and not nearly as bad as California. Cold and rainy sometimes. Incredible Italian food. The suburbs are more vibrant than downtown (as is the case with most of the post-manufacturing thruway cities), but that is slowly changing.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:42 AM

40 posts, read 60,729 times
I Really Like this thread!
I am currently in NC, and have been thinking of moving to Syracuse for a few years.
Two weeks ago, I was able to spend time--basing out of a Super 8 between Syracuse and Liverpool for a few days. I went to both Chambers of Commerce and found a lot of information about the area--but it is always very refreshing and informative to find info on these forums.
I plan on returning soon for more research and info--but I won't move up without a job. I did that before when I was younger, (to Atlanta and Tampa) and I learned a lot of very valuable lessons.
I really like the vibe of the area!

Old 08-12-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannatour View Post
I Really Like this thread!
I am currently in NC, and have been thinking of moving to Syracuse for a few years.
Two weeks ago, I was able to spend time--basing out of a Super 8 between Syracuse and Liverpool for a few days. I went to both Chambers of Commerce and found a lot of information about the area--but it is always very refreshing and informative to find info on these forums.
I plan on returning soon for more research and info--but I won't move up without a job. I did that before when I was younger, (to Atlanta and Tampa) and I learned a lot of very valuable lessons.
I really like the vibe of the area!
What kind of job would you be looking for? What type of neighborhood/community would you be looking for? City or suburbs? Would it just be you or do you have others/family that would come along?

Old 08-22-2013, 02:56 PM

40 posts, read 60,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What kind of job would you be looking for? What type of neighborhood/community would you be looking for? City or suburbs? Would it just be you or do you have others/family that would come along?
It would just be me.
I'm working on doing private photography to augment income, and maybe do it full time. Most of my experience is in manufacturing, which in the US is akin to Vaudeville.
But at least my resume is good.

I think I would like to be near the "arts districts," like Armory Square. I don't really need much--but since I'm shopping now, I wouldn't mind either the city or the suburbs.
I liked Liverpool, because it was clean and the people were nice.

I appreciate your response!

GOOD on ya!

Old 08-22-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannatour View Post
It would just be me.
I'm working on doing private photography to augment income, and maybe do it full time. Most of my experience is in manufacturing, which in the US is akin to Vaudeville.
But at least my resume is good.

I think I would like to be near the "arts districts," like Armory Square. I don't really need much--but since I'm shopping now, I wouldn't mind either the city or the suburbs.
I liked Liverpool, because it was clean and the people were nice.

I appreciate your response!

GOOD on ya!
I believe that depending on your skills, you may be able to find a job in manufacturing. These places may be worth a look: Employment Opportunities

Eaton Corporation Jobs - Jobs in Syracuse, Ny United States

https://anaren.silkroad.com/eposting...evelid1=103706

Young & Franklin / Tactair Careers

Schneider Packaging Employment Opportunities

https://jobs-legrand.icims.com/jobs/...supervisor/job

Byrne Dairy » Careers

https://career4.successfactors.com/c...pjqEUQmv8%253d

The Fulton Companies - Jobs at Fulton

Open Positions

https://bms.taleo.net/careersection/.../jobdetail.ftl

company:"Marietta Corp" jobs in Cortland, NY - Indeed Mobile

As for areas to live in, you may like the Westcott neighborhood as well. Westcott

UNPA - University Neighborhood Preservation Association

The Westcott Theater

Westcott Street Cultural Fair

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-22-2013 at 07:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area