U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2014, 06:17 AM

56,163 posts, read 80,251,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
First of all, tunnel shouldn't have even been an option because it's not going to happen and was never going to happen.

But anyway. The people who actually live in Syracuse want a boulevard. The people who drive through Syracuse want a highway. This is the most important point to me.
I wonder what the results would be if the choices were just for the new viaduct or the boulevard. Hmm....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 06:39 AM

1,537 posts, read 2,206,452 times
I was with some elderly people over the weekend and they had taken part in the survey and received letters from DiFrancisco. Both of the people who took part in the survey are in their 80s and are afraid of the highways, so they don't use them anyways. They both voted to keep the elevated highway even though they would never drive on it and really shouldn't be driving at all. One of them stated they didn't vote for the tunnel because tunnels scare her.

I just thought it was interesting that the ones that are so excited to give their opinion were ones that won't use any of the options and most likely will be dead by the time it is built anyways.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I was with some elderly people over the weekend and they had taken part in the survey and received letters from DiFrancisco. Both of the people who took part in the survey are in their 80s and are afraid of the highways, so they don't use them anyways. They both voted to keep the elevated highway even though they would never drive on it and really shouldn't be driving at all. One of them stated they didn't vote for the tunnel because tunnels scare her.

I just thought it was interesting that the ones that are so excited to give their opinion were ones that won't use any of the options and most likely will be dead by the time it is built anyways.
That is interesting. Did these people live near the highway?

Old 09-29-2014, 07:21 AM

1,537 posts, read 2,206,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That is interesting. Did these people live near the highway?
No, they live in Camillus and Marcellus. Even if they have to be out that way they take side streets because the highway is too fast and crazy for them.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
No, they live in Camillus and Marcellus. Even if they have to be out that way they take side streets because the highway is too fast and crazy for them.
Wow and these are some of the people that took the survey. Hmm, looks like this survey was given strategically to certain people or like you said, to people that wouldn't have any chance to see any option come to fruition.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:10 AM

162 posts, read 238,579 times
The fact that Upstate and SU haven't come out in support of one side or the other, or at least haven't publicized their priorities, is really keeping this thing in limbo. Up to this point, all we've had is both sides shouting back and forth about which option is better for essentially intangible or unforeseeable reasons, and without some tangible results in the area surrounding the viaduct that a majority can agree are desirable, I think there are irreconcilable differences in vision and priorities.

If either SU or Upstate came out and said what they want, though, or what their hopes or vision are for that area and for connectivity to downtown, then that would provide some tangible results to be weighed in picking an option which I think most people can get behind. Trying to say definitively that commute times will only increase 3-8 minutes (or whatever) to the viaduct people, or that the design and appeal of the area will be substantially better to the anti-viaduct people is not enough to build concensus in an area where people have been burned many times and the predominant attitude is 'I'll believe it when I see it.' We need a realistic, believable plan one way or the other in order to build concensus.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:14 AM

162 posts, read 238,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUPlanner View Post
The fact that Upstate and SU haven't come out in support of one side or the other, or at least haven't publicized their priorities, is really keeping this thing in limbo. Up to this point, all we've had is both sides shouting back and forth about which option is better for essentially intangible or unforeseeable reasons, and without some tangible results in the area surrounding the viaduct that a majority can agree are desirable, I think there are irreconcilable differences in vision and priorities.

If either SU or Upstate came out and said what they want, though, or what their hopes or vision are for that area and for connectivity to downtown, then that would provide some tangible results to be weighed in picking an option which I think most people can get behind. Trying to say definitively that commute times will only increase 3-8 minutes (or whatever) to the viaduct people, or that the design and appeal of the area will be substantially better to the anti-viaduct people is not enough to build concensus in an area where people have been burned many times and the predominant attitude is 'I'll believe it when I see it.' We need a realistic, believable plan one way or the other in order to build concensus.
Either that or we need, for the anti-viaduct people like myself, a developer to come and put money down on some projects next to the viaduct, contingent upon the highway coming down. Right now, all the viaduct people hear is 'if you build it, they will come,' and if I were them, I would also be saying 'show me.'

Old 09-29-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUPlanner View Post

Good points and why hasn't or you think that SU or Upstate(or ESF or the other hospitals) come out with an opinion on the subject?

Old 09-30-2014, 08:23 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,068,285 times
Why build I-81 as a boulevard? It is called an interstate highway, which is a freeway. How many vehicles does it receive daily? A nice 10-12 lane freeway would be good, and it would futureproof the road .

Old 09-30-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
Why build I-81 as a boulevard? It is called an interstate highway, which is a freeway. How many vehicles does it receive daily? A nice 10-12 lane freeway would be good, and it would futureproof the road .
The area that is slated to be a boulevard or revamped highway isn't wide enough for that many lanes, if I'm not mistaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or