U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 08:50 AM

6 posts, read 8,761 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

We are moving to the Syracuse area in July and I am flying out there in early June to find a house and hopefully get under contract.

Our list of desires:

SAFE
Excellent schools
Family-friendly
We prefer older homes but have been also looking at new-builds.
Under 350k (however, if taxes are higher ie Manlius, we would like to be under 300k.)

Also, my husband is going to be working at the airport and my daughters dance--likely at Ballet and Dance of Upstate NY located at 126 S Terry Rd --4+ days a week. It's also possible I will be attending graduate school at SU some point in the near future. Something a reasonable distance to these places would be wonderful.

Up until now, we have focused our search on the school districts of F-M and J-D. I think F-M is my top choice but I wonder if there aren't other areas that would meet our needs much more reasonably.

I have searched and read many threads on these topics but I still feel like I'm not sure where else to look. Any input would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 09:12 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,697,167 times
If you're likely wanting to be close to Terry Rd, perhaps looking at the West Genesee district area would be a good idea to consider. That side of town isn't unreasonable from FM/JD area, but it's solidly on the other end of town (20-25 minutes, though, most of the time, depending on how far out into FM or JD you would end up).

Sounds like a more than reasonable budget to work with. Welcome to the area!

Old 05-09-2013, 10:18 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,974,358 times
I agree with acknight completely... if it wasn't for the frequent driving to/from dance, FM/JD would be fine. You'll spend all your time driving, if you have to go back and forth to Fairmount, from the eastern suburbs, during rush hour that often. Somewhere near highway 5>695>690, so your husband can just jump on the highway to get to work. Look for homes in zip codes 13219 and 13031.

I always use prudentialproperties.com, and sign in with my email. When you do that, the listings show far more pictures and this site lists the taxes, even split up into what goes where, so you know where you'd stand. Also, look up the address in the Property Tax section of ongov.net, to see some history on the home. You might find some information that will help you to know what kind of offer is possible and tax, addition, transfer history.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:24 AM

56,538 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Along with acknight's great suggestion, look into the Westvale area of the Westhill School District. It is a smaller district and has graduation rates on par with F-M. Westvale has homes that can range from say 80-300,000, if that high. You can take 695 to 690 East to get to SU or get off at the Bear Street exit to get to 81 North in order to get to the airport. Terry Road goes through both the West Genesee and Westhill SD's. There is shopping close by in Fairmount, as well as some at Westvale Plaza in Solvay and Destiny USA is a 10 minute drive.

Here is an area of Westvale that may be what you are looking for:Google Maps Street View

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-09-2013 at 10:37 AM..

Old 05-09-2013, 11:29 AM

486 posts, read 467,671 times
I agree with the above posters - looks like they hit what you are looking for on the head. Welcome to Syracuse it is a great place to live!

Old 05-09-2013, 06:23 PM

Thank you everyone! I'm getting so excited to move there.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:52 PM

Here are some homes in the Westvale portion of the Westhill SD: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Here are some others: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Old 06-19-2013, 09:44 AM

Default Update

Hello everyone.

I wanted to share that we are under contract on a house in F-M. I looked at houses in West Genessee and Westhill but in the end, the 1 house I looked at in the F-M district was the one that felt right. Unfortunately, that will be a 30 minute drive to dance but we had to pick and choose when it came to our list of desirables.

We love the house and neighborhood and are feeling very excited.

Can anyone tell me anything about Enders Road Elementary? I understand they have strings for 4th grade and I thought I saw somewhere that the last period of the day is for extra help/intramural sports...? This is totally different than we are used to so any information about the school or district would be much appreciated!

Old 06-19-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2girls View Post
Hello everyone.

I wanted to share that we are under contract on a house in F-M. I looked at houses in West Genessee and Westhill but in the end, the 1 house I looked at in the F-M district was the one that felt right. Unfortunately, that will be a 30 minute drive to dance but we had to pick and choose when it came to our list of desirables.

We love the house and neighborhood and are feeling very excited.

Can anyone tell me anything about Enders Road Elementary? I understand they have strings for 4th grade and I thought I saw somewhere that the last period of the day is for extra help/intramural sports...? This is totally different than we are used to so any information about the school or district would be much appreciated!
F-M is one of the best school districts in Upstate NY by many metrics. So, you should be fine.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:34 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,974,358 times
CTWoman??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or