Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 03:02 PM

69 posts, read 147,105 times

Advertisements

Good Afternoon Syracuse Residents - I was looking for some general information.

For the past year my family and I have been planning a relocation to Rochester. We have visited numerous times, evaluated school districts and statistics, and measured tax burdens. It has been a labor intensive exercise.

Needless to say, some things are out of our control. My fiancé (who's ex husband has visitation rights to their son) may not be allowed by the court to move more than 300 miles from where she resides now. Rochester then would be "too far" whereas Syracuse would fall within the allocated parameter.

So, I was hoping some of you could maybe offer some simple insight. Here are my families pre-requisites.

My fiancé's son is 7 years old, and for her she longs for a very good to excellent public school system, and a safe community. Her parents (who will be retiring within the year) were both born in Sicily, and are of a different time and mindset. They want an area where there are other Sicilians/Italians, and perhaps where even their native language can be spoken to the occasional neighbor. Collectively, as a unit, we want an area where 175K can buy a decent home for my fiancé and I, and 200K can buy a slightly nicer home for her parents. Safety, school systems, and Italian American presence, and ideally suburban would be precise.

I am moving from Miami, and my fiancés family is coming from Connecticut, by way of Brooklyn, and we just want a slower lifestyle, a simple life, and a clean, low crime, Italian-American community.

If anyone has any insight or advice, it would be most appreciated. If the courts decide that 300 miles is the limit, then Rochester will be out of the running, and Syracuse will rapidly become our target destination. So, we are trying to prepare ourselves accordingly.

Thank You in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 05:41 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Given our previous correspondence on the Rochester forum, I'd say to consider school districts like Westhill or West Genesee due to being very good districts and their proximity to Solvay, which has a strong Italian American population and one of the highest percentage of Italians in a municipality in the US. Solvay is known for having specifically a strong Tyrolean population and even has a Tyrol Club: Solvay Tyrol Club

I would consider Liverpool or North Syracuse, but they are similar to Greece and Gates-Chili, with Solvay being similar to East Rochester(more working class, blue collar). Liverpool and North Syracuse aren't to the same extent as those two though. Nearby Baldwinsville may be a possibility in terms of a district/area to consider as well.

Lyncourt also has one of the highest percentages of Italians for a community in the US and has an Italian American Athletic Club. It has it own K-8 school district/school, in which kids go to Solvay High for HS or good the private route to Bishop Grimes Jr./Sr. High.

Syracuse's North Side, while not as Italian as it once was, still has an Italian presence with a somewhat infused Little Italy with restaurants, Our Lady of Pompeii Catholic Church, the John Venditti American Legion, a few bakeries, a cafe and a store in Lombardi's Imports, among some other things. You can find some these things in the Liverpool and North Syracuse areas too.

Canastota is another metro area community with a high Italian percentage, but it is more small town/rural and while not awful, schools are OK. Auburn and Oswego also pretty high Italian percentages, especially Auburn. Cortland also has its share of Italians.

Also, Utica, Rome and that metro area in general has a strong Italian American community as well. Districts like New Hartford, Whitesboro, Clinton and perhaps Frankfort-Schuyler may be worth a look if interested. Frankfort(village) has the second highest percentage of Italian Americans for a municipality in the US at around 45%. This I believe is due to its proximity to Utica's East Side, which was and still is to perhaps a lesser degree, where the Italian community is highly concentrated.

I'll try to add more information if I think of anything else.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-31-2013 at 05:54 PM..

Old 05-31-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Given our previous correspondence on the Rochester forum, I'd say to consider school districts like Westhill or West Genesee due to being very good districts and their proximity to Solvay, which has a strong Italian American population and one of the highest percentage of Italians in a municipality in the US. Solvay is known for having specifically a strong Tyrolean population and even has a Tyrol Club: Solvay Tyrol Club

I would consider Liverpool or North Syracuse, but they are similar to Greece and Gates-Chili, with Solvay being similar to East Rochester(more working class, blue collar). Liverpool and North Syracuse aren't to the same extent as those two though. Nearby Baldwinsville may be a possibility in terms of a district/area to consider as well.

Lyncourt also has one of the highest percentages of Italians for a community in the US and has an Italian American Athletic Club. It has it own K-8 school district/school, in which kids go to Solvay High for HS or good the private route to Bishop Grimes Jr./Sr. High.

Syracuse's North Side, while not as Italian as it once was, still has an Italian presence with a somewhat infused Little Italy with restaurants, Our Lady of Pompeii Catholic Church, the John Venditti American Legion, a few bakeries, a cafe and a store in Lombardi's Imports, among some other things. You can find some these things in the Liverpool and North Syracuse areas too.

Canastota is another metro area community with a high Italian percentage, but it is more small town/rural and while not awful, schools are OK. Auburn and Oswego also pretty high Italian percentages, especially Auburn.

I'll try to add more information if I think of anything else.
Thank you again. You appear to be my "go to" source for all information about Western New York. Your vast knowledge is extremely helpful.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeluzzo View Post
Thank you again. You appear to be my "go to" source for all information about Western New York. Your vast knowledge is extremely helpful.
I added some more information in that post and another thing is that if want to go the Catholic School route, at least from 7th grade on, Bishop Grimes tends to get more students of Italian descent. This the case historically as many of the kids came from Syracuse's North Side and Eastwood neighborhoods, as well as Lyncourt, the North Syracuse and Liverpool areas. I'm not sure about elementary schools, but I assume that schools like Blessed Sacrament in Eastwood, St. Rose in North Syracuse and perhaps St. Margaret's in Mattydale are the schools to look into in that regard. Our Lady of Pompeii still has a school and while there may still be some students of Italian descent, with the changing demographics of the neighborhood and with the closing of Cathedral School in Downtown Syracuse, the school fell in line.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:23 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
North Syracuse, for sure. Cicero-North Syracuse school district.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:15 AM

Thank You once again ckthankgod. You information is once again proving valuable.

"proulxfamily" - thank you. I will start to pull census records and data queries from those areas as well.

Now, having never lived in Syracuse, and only having visited twice (12 and 9 years ago respectively) I do not have much to compare it to in an effort to better understand the demographics, city layout, civil services, and tax burdens. While most of that stuff I can get by procuring data records, it still makes it difficult to get a true "idea" of a place.

Now, I have lived all over - and traveled even further for work. Nearly every major city in America I have visited multiple times, and I have lived for durations of no less than 2 years in Boston, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, and other eastern cities. I have also spent much time out of the country, most notably in Mexico City, Panama City - Panama, Belize, and various Caribbean locations. I doubt many of these cities are similar to Syracuse given it's location, manufacturing, population, and history.

However, I have lived in both Rutland and Burlington, Vermont - and have traveled quite a few times to Rochester, Buffalo, Windsor - Ontario, Toronto, Montreal, and Quebec City. While the Canadian cities may fail in comparison, how about the other western New York cities, or the Vermont areas? How do those compare?

Is the demographic make-up (socially, economically, ethnically) similar to Burlington or Rochester? Is the city landscape the same as Buffalo and/or Rochester? Are the arts, social events, museums, and festivals limited as they are in Burlington? Or, are they available - but dated - as they are in Rochester? Does Syracuse have a "liberal" Vermont "vibe", or is it politically more astute and perhaps even more conservative like the eastern suburbs of Rochester?

Again, I can get the "data" from public records and census records, but I am really looking for an idea from people who live there or have traveled there frequently. So, any simple and general comparison would be helpful. Thus, thank you again.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:43 AM

Syracuse is more like Rochester than Burlington. With that said, the East Side near Syracuse University and even into the Eastern suburbs(somewhat), you get a liberal leaning to a degree. Just like Rochester, the Eastern suburbs are generally more affluent, but I'd say that the suburbs here are more balanced in that regard. Meaning that you can find a mix economically in the Northern, Western and even the Eastern suburbs. It has a little more of a blue collar feel than Rochester, but some may say that Syracuse comes off as being more down to earth. To be honest, the differences between Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse aren't really that big, but those little things may make a difference.

There are arts based, sporting and cultural events/festivals throughout the year here. So, you have some things to do.

Also, if you want that liberal, artsy vibe, Ithaca is only an hour away. You would probably view it as a more affordable, a more diverse and maybe even a more educated version of Burlington.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Syracuse is more like Rochester than Burlington. With that said, the East Side near Syracuse University and even into the Eastern suburbs(somewhat), you get a liberal leaning to a degree. Just like Rochester, the Eastern suburbs are generally more affluent, but I'd say that the suburbs here are more balanced in that regard. Meaning that you can find a mix economically in the Northern, Western and even the Eastern suburbs. It has a little more of a blue collar feel than Rochester, but some may say that Syracuse comes off as being more down to earth. To be honest, the differences between Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse aren't really that big, but those little things may make a difference.

There are arts based, sporting and cultural events/festivals throughout the year here. So, you have some things to do.

Also, if you want that liberal, artsy vibe, Ithaca is only an hour away. You would probably view it as a more affordable, a more diverse and maybe even a more educated version of Burlington.
Truth be told, I am trying to avoid that "liberal vibe" at all costs. Not that I am, myself, adamantly opposed to peoples rights of individual expression, but it just isn't my cup of tea. In terms of my fiancé and her family, they aren't vey political themselves, but they would err on the side of being conservative.

I grew up in Boston, traveled to Europe quite a bit, and have no issues with liberal thinkers or progressively democratic voters, but in my line of work, my experience, and my lifestyle choices, I am Republican, nearly neo-conservative fiscally, and an advocate of conservative values. So for me, Ithaca would not be my preference. I lived in Burlington only in a professional capacity, and only because that was where my contract took me. I would not enjoy returning there, which is why I was attempting to use it as a basis of comparison.

Truth be told - I am somewhat of an anomaly in that regard. Raised in Boston, a very liberal city in an absurdly liberal state, born to immigrant parents, and subject to a New England education. By all accounts I should embrace liberal values - but I went the other way there.

I recognize that New York itself is a very democratic state, and I have worked in the state many times before. But it is the "good with the bad" per say. I could move to Alabama and pay no property tax, or stay in Miami, clinging to my homestead exemption, and not paying any income tax. But being as my fiancés family is Brooklyn born and bred, and many are Sicilian born, those areas don't work for them.

Hence, I am searching Western New York......visiting regularly, and examining data......both objective, and subjective, and attempting to find the right niche for all of us. There are communities in Rochester I could be quite content it, and that would please my fiancé and her family (as they discovered during our recent trip there) but there must always be a secondary option, and that is what I am hoping to discover in and around Syracuse.

Thus, thank you again for your valuable insight.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:08 PM

In that case, I'd say to focus on the town of Cicero portion of the North Syracuse school district, as it would seem like a good fit.

BTW-Not to be nitpicky, but Syracuse is in Central NY.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
In that case, I'd say to focus on the town of Cicero portion of the North Syracuse school district, as it would seem like a good fit.

BTW-Not to be nitpicky, but Syracuse is in Central NY.
Central New York - dually noted. Thank you once again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area