U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2013, 11:21 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,065,997 times

Advertisements

Certain districts have public preschool and some don't. I know that Liverpool and ESM do - from 2 years old (a short program) and increases in daily time, with age. They also have full-day kinder. I know that FM doesn't have preschool and kindergarten is AM *or* PM, not both.

All this makes a huge difference in the outlay of good childcare, if both parents work.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 11:47 AM

19 posts, read 38,252 times
Yes--i prefer a good PK and we have all-day kindergarten which i LOVE bc these days the curriculum starts out so aggressive. In 5 years, they will be doing algebra in second grade, lol.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:17 PM

The PK/full-day kinder are for school districts that have demographics that indicate the children are *at all* "at risk of underperformance." All city schools and some suburban have enough people in a certain demographic that it does the PK/full-day kinder. The schools that don't aren't underperforming, by any means, they just don't find a strong enough need, in their district, to have those programs.

Our children were in kinder at FM this past year and a few years ago and I wouldn't call the program aggressive. I didn't prep them at all... why would I, necessarily? It's where you're supposed to START, which is how it was when I was a child. Children didn't go into K, already knowing how to read. Still, all three thrived and learned well.

I wouldn't be worried about them keeping up with other school children. The teachers will take care of any gaps very well and be specific in what will help at home, if they are at all "behind." They all ended in roughly the same place. I think they don't start out as aggressive but gradually build up *ability* to middle school, where that general ability is expanded upon to become more intense and focused.

Still, the childcare and/or reliable "break" would have been nice. lol - if I'd thought of that at all, I might have chosen a different district than FM. Might being the operative word. The teachers have been wonderful.

And I'm so glad you're feeling better about the move... there's little to worry about and, if you do, please let us know so we can perhaps brainstorm the kinks.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:19 PM

59,360 posts, read 84,195,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiana123 View Post
Yes--i prefer a good PK and we have all-day kindergarten which i LOVE bc these days the curriculum starts out so aggressive. In 5 years, they will be doing algebra in second grade, lol.
I know that North Syracuse just approved all day kindergarten: North Syracuse school board approves full-day kindergarten | syracuse.com

Onondaga Central also has a Preschool program: Preschool Staff

Solvay also has a Pre K program: Solvay Elementary School - Calendar

Old 07-10-2013, 12:58 PM

I am not too worried about them not catching up or utilizing as a means to get ahead, as both of my boys are advanced. My oldest is on honor roll and my youngest is reading small words already--I was more interested in PK as a means of learning classroom structure outside of a daycare setting because even though he may be ahead, he is still a 4 year old boy--in all aspects of the word, and he is ready for "school" because big brother gets to go every day and he wants to go to "school" too, if you know what I mean. My oldest had all day kindergarten which is nice because we both work more than it is nice because it "advances" them faster.

Anyways--thanks for all your input.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:22 AM

Ok, so I know I mentioned this before briefly--but what do you guys think about the Chittenango area? I know its a little farther east, but housing looks fairly affordable and similar in pricing for a single, private home compared to apartment/townhouses in the Syracuse areas that we've been discussing. It appears to be much more "suburban" if I'm not mistaken. In terms of schools--about medium but on Greatschools.org the district is rated rather well on their scales. Diversity--I can clearly see is lacking--but from your opinions do you think that this lack of diversity will result in direct discrimination against our family or do you believe that the area will not be as much? I see that the household income is higher--so would that translate to a more educated demographic who have been exposed to diversity through a college setting and potentially more open minded?

I think I could write an exposition on this stuff with all the details I am gathering, lol.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:35 AM

Oh--and the housing looks "newer" like a built up suburban community in what used to be more rural maybe? Just a guess.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiana123 View Post
Ok, so I know I mentioned this before briefly--but what do you guys think about the Chittenango area? I know its a little farther east, but housing looks fairly affordable and similar in pricing for a single, private home compared to apartment/townhouses in the Syracuse areas that we've been discussing. It appears to be much more "suburban" if I'm not mistaken. In terms of schools--about medium but on Greatschools.org the district is rated rather well on their scales. Diversity--I can clearly see is lacking--but from your opinions do you think that this lack of diversity will result in direct discrimination against our family or do you believe that the area will not be as much? I see that the household income is higher--so would that translate to a more educated demographic who have been exposed to diversity through a college setting and potentially more open minded?

I think I could write an exposition on this stuff with all the details I am gathering, lol.
Chittenango is a more ruall/small town area with good schools. I think you will be OK there, but like you mentioned, there isn't much diversity at all.

Here are a couple of lists that could help you decide what you are looking for: 2012 Upstate school district rankings - Buffalo - Business First

2012 Syracuse Area school district rankings - Buffalo - Business First

Pittsford and Niskayuna lead Upstate affluence ratings - Buffalo - Business First

Lancaster and Arkport are Upstate's most efficient school systems - Buffalo - Business First

Here are some rentals that you may be interested in: Dewitt Real Estate - 25 Wexford Rd, Dewitt, NY, 13214

Van Buren Real Estate - 371 Village Blvd N, Van Buren, NY, 13027

Clay Real Estate - 5315 W Taft Rd, Clay, NY, 13212

Salina Real Estate - 305 Gordon Ave, Salina, NY, 13211

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-12-2013 at 09:51 AM..

Old 07-12-2013, 09:49 AM

I wouldn't go there. Not guaranteed racism, mind you... but it's Madison County. It's a more "redneck" area than most of the regular suburbs. I don't think you'd have any problem in your neighborhood but they may very well encounter it from some students. I think it would be a good idea to tell your realtor that you'd like to be in the F-M district and you don't mind if you're at the edge of the boundary, to get a good housing price. And if s/he tells you it is, call the district and give them the address, to make sure it is. The realtors/websites are frequently wrong about boundary areas, which we ran into when we were looking.

The district number is 315-692-1234. Easy to remember. lol

Last edited by proulxfamily; 07-12-2013 at 10:12 AM..

Old 07-12-2013, 03:36 PM

These may work, as they are in the Westhill SD and is close to shopping, Downtown and the community college: Apartments in Syracuse, NY | High Acres | Syracuse, NY

High Acres Apartments Apartments for Rent - Syracuse, NY Apartments | Apartment Finder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area