Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 03:10 PM

5 posts, read 34,845 times

Advertisements

My Wife & I have always lived in downstate suburbs outside of NYC, and we both have wanted to familiarize ourselves with Upstate NY, for quite some time.

Next week we plan on visiting the Syracuse area for the first time (this includes Seneca Falls, and Skaneateles Falls).

Interested in getting away from the 'hustle and bustle,' while we are looking for family friendly events, places, and attractions, we don't want to wind up in any area that closes up at 8PM either.

Are there any places we should visit - including Syracuse? Plus, knowing that some of Syracuse is crime ridden, are there areas we should avoid? Any great websites/helpful links that you might be able to forward? Any great hotels or eateries to recommend, for someone on a moderate budget?Italian/steak/and 'local' 'must-see' spots are a plus.

I work outside of the office most of the time, and have limited internet access. I might not be able to write everyone back immediately, but I thank everyone in advance, for whatever help they might offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 06:04 PM

4 posts, read 19,498 times
If you are looking for a great place to eat in downtown Syracuse, why not try the Dinosaur BBQ Dinosaur BBQ - Genuine Barbeque Sauce, Hot Sauce, and Marinades

Old 11-13-2007, 07:01 PM

142 posts, read 811,187 times
In Skaneateles, check out the Sherwood Inn, Rosalies, Mirbeau, or Joelle Bistro Cafe. All of these are great restaurants, though not cheap by Upstate standards. I love Mirbeau for a wonderful breakfast. Rosalies is fun, though noisy. Eat on the tavern side of the Sherwood with the locals. Haven't been to Joelle's yet, but it has rave reviews.
Have fun!
Jo

Old 11-13-2007, 09:30 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
Try these web sites - News 10 Now | 24 Hour Local News | TOP STORIES and News, Sports, Entertainment, Video, and Life in Central New York - Syracuse.com for ideas about what may be going on next week.

If you're driving come up Rte 20 thru the Cherry Valley and stop in Cooperstown for the Farmer's Museum, Baseball Hall of Fame, Glimmerglass Opera, and the inn at the lake. Then you can go on to Cazenovia where there's a cute lake with a couple of interesting historic mansions across the street, one of which has dinners. Continuting on the same road get out and walk aroung the Village of Skaneateles (this will be one of the highlights, forget about Skaneateles Falls) again on a lake where they have darling shops and several good restaurants and a spa resort. If you're there at lunch time consider Doug's Fish Fry for the best you've ever had. Then on to Seneca Falls for the Women's Hall of Fame by way of Auburn which has yet another lake, a Museum of Film, the Seward Mansion, and a nice art museum. All along the shores of the Finger Lakes there are wineries with magnificent views. I even think there's a buffalo farm along one of them you can visit. I'd suggest a GPS that shows nearby attractions so you don't get lost and can find things. You can pick up tourist phamplets all along the way.

Syracuse has a terrific science museum downtown with an Imax which is located in Armory Square downtown, a kind of funky urban section with restaurants, cafes, and boutiques. It's within walking distance to the Dinosaur BBQ where you'll sit shoulder to shoulder with everything from bikers to grandmothers who just came from the theatre to listen to jazz/ R&B. Carousel mall has a real carousel with painted horses and all. There's also a zoo. Green Lakes state park has horseback riding and there's Beaver Lake Nature Center just to the north of the city. There's an old fahioned arcade on the eastern shores of Oneida Lake.

If you want a local flavor you'll find there are tons of church/organization/club dinners ranging from spaghetti to chicken & biscuits to bbq chicken where you can get a meal for anywhere from $5 to $8 that includes your drink, meal, and dessert. Check online for hotel coupons online at Hotel Discounts and Hotel Reservations. If you want to run up to the big lake you can visit the beach and state park at Fair Haven, Chimney Bluffs, and Oswego.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:26 AM

37 posts, read 132,644 times
Taking a look at the University Hill wouldn't be a bad stop either. Everything is open late since it's near SU, and the architecture of the old buildings is phenomenal. And also make sure to stop by Dinosaur BBQ on West Willow St.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:15 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,425,253 times
Honestly, I'd be surprised if "wbab109" leaves Upstate NY with a favorable impression. This week has been the most depressing week here since last March. Overcast, rainy, snowy, with virtually all the foliage off the trees. November is not the best time to visit Upstate NY for the first time if you want to enjoy it. In a typical November, Upstate NY is lucky to see 10 sunny days...as this is the cloudiest month of the year. Mix cloud cover with bare trees, damp rain or snow = depressing.

Even January and February are better than late November. At least the snow cover brightens everything up, plus its sunnier too. Lake effect cloud cover doesn't bother me since the clouds off Lake Ontario are puffy with many sunny breaks. It is the large coastal systems with the low gray steel clouds that you typically see this time of year...

Old 11-24-2007, 10:16 AM

161 posts, read 1,049,354 times
I would agree with Bellafinzi, November it not the best time to show case the gems of Central New York. I think early Autum is spectacular, summer is great because of all of the lakes and rivers in the area and winter can be so pretty with white snow cover on every thing. But if you come to the Syracuse area I would visit Armopry Square, which is a downtown area of bars and restaurants. I would visit tthe community of Skaneateles, that overlooks the most beautiful lake you've ever seen. I would vist Chittenango Falls. As for the rough parts off town, you'll know when you're there. A mere drive through is not a problem. Be guided by your instincts. Most people from the area are very freindly. Good luck Glen

Old 12-29-2007, 06:48 AM

66 posts, read 201,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Honestly, I'd be surprised if "wbab109" leaves Upstate NY with a favorable impression. This week has been the most depressing week here since last March. Overcast, rainy, snowy, with virtually all the foliage off the trees. November is not the best time to visit Upstate NY for the first time if you want to enjoy it. In a typical November, Upstate NY is lucky to see 10 sunny days...as this is the cloudiest month of the year. Mix cloud cover with bare trees, damp rain or snow = depressing.

Even January and February are better than late November. At least the snow cover brightens everything up, plus its sunnier too. Lake effect cloud cover doesn't bother me since the clouds off Lake Ontario are puffy with many sunny breaks. It is the large coastal systems with the low gray steel clouds that you typically see this time of year...
Good to know there is some sun! I keep hearing Syracuse has the lowest sun index in the country and that it's always grey. Is that true?

Old 12-29-2007, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 4,259 times
It is not always grey here. We have 4 seasons and depending on the month you can get sun, rain, snow or grey skies. Right now the weather is in the 40's and rained last night. Green grass showing on yards and very little snow. May get a bit of sun today.

Winters go up and down here. It snows, then melts, snows and melts or it could just snow in the winter. Usually Jan and Feb seem to have the most snow. Outdoor activiies are great. No need to stay indoors when it is cold, jog, walk, ski, snowboard, ice skate, snow mobile, sightsee, travel, shop, same thing as other northeast cities(even golf sometimes in December in Liverpool)...just might needs your boots more.

I have lived here my entire life and the winters are definitely warmer with less snow than when I was a kid. Global warming possibly.. who knows. If you want it sunny and warm 365 days a year, then this is not the place for you.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:08 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,425,253 times
New Year's Eve...today....is sunny in Syracuse.

Cloudiest US Metropolitan Areas
by number of cloudy days
  1. 239 Anchorage, AK
  2. 230 Mount Vernon-Anacortes, WA
  3. 229 Olympia, WA
  4. 228 Bremerton-Silverdale, WA
  5. 227 Bellingham, WA
  6. 226 Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA
  7. 222 Portland, OR
  8. 218 Longview, WA
  9. 212 Binghamton, NY
  10. 212 Corvallis, OR
  11. 210 Fairbanks, AK
  12. 209 Eugene, OR
  13. 208 Buffalo, NY
  14. 208 Missoula, MT
  15. 208 Salem, OR
  16. 208 Morgantown, WV
  17. 207 Erie, PA
  18. 206 Ithaca, NY
  19. 206 Pittsburgh, PA
  20. 206 Burlington, VT
  21. 206 Grand Rapids, MI
  22. 205 Wheeling, WV
  23. 205 Weirton-Steubenville, WV-OH
  24. 205 Youngstown, OH
  25. 205 Holland-Grand Haven, MI
  26. 205 Syracuse, NY
  27. 204 Utica, NY
  28. 203 Elmira, NY
  29. 203 Huntington, WV
  30. 202 Cleveland, OH
  31. 202 Muskegon , MI
  32. 200 Kalamazoo, MI
  33. 200 Rochester, NY

http://cloudiestcities.tripod.com/

Cloudiest Metropolitan Areas in the US and Canada
by number of cloudy days
  1. 255 St. John's, NF
  2. 247 Chicoutimi - Jonquière, PQ
  3. 239 Anchorage, AK
  4. 230 Mount Vernon-Anacortes, WA
  5. 229 Olympia, WA
  6. 228 Bremerton-Silverdale, WA
  7. 227 Bellingham, WA
  8. 226 Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA
  9. 226 Quebec City, PQ
  10. 224 Kitchener, ON
  11. 224 London, ON
  12. 222 Portland, OR
  13. 221 Trois-Rivieres, PQ
  14. 221 Vancouver, BC
  15. 219 St. John, NB
  16. 218 Sherbrooke, PQ
  17. 218 Longview, WA
  18. 217 Sudbury, ON
  19. 216 Oshawa, ON
  20. 216 Kingston, ON
  21. 215 Ottawa, ON
  22. 213 Halifax, NS
  23. 212 Binghamton, NY
  24. 212 Corvallis, OR
  25. 210 Fairbanks, AK
  26. 210 Montreal, PQ
  27. 210 Victoria, BC
  28. 209 Eugene, OR
  29. 208 Buffalo, NY
  30. 208 Toronto, ON
  31. 208 St. Catharines-Niagara, ON
  32. 208 Hamilton
  33. 208 Missoula, MT
  34. 208 Salem, OR
  35. 208 Morgantown, WV
  36. 207 Erie, PA
  37. 206 Ithaca, NY
  38. 206 Pittsburgh, PA
  39. 206 Burlington, VT
  40. 206 Grand Rapids, MI
  41. 205 Wheeling, WV
  42. 205 Weirton-Steubenville, WV-OH
  43. 205 Youngstown, OH
  44. 205 Holland-Grand Haven, MI
  45. 205 Syracuse, NY
  46. 204 Utica, NY
  47. 203 Elmira, NY
  48. 203 Huntington, WV
  49. 202 Cleveland, OH
  50. 202 Muskegon , MI
  51. 200 Kalamazoo, MI
  52. 200 Rochester, NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area