U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 08:33 AM

35 posts, read 60,106 times

Advertisements

We are visiting Syracuse and the surrounding suburbs looking at a possible relocation from Florida in the upcoming year. We were at the Shoptown Mall and there were not many people at all there and some stores were closed down on a Friday evening. What mall is the preference for those living in the Eastern suburbs? Also, we went by the Carousel Mall and it was jam packed and we didn't know if that was the norm or just maybe extra busy because of the after Christmas sales? Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 08:40 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,693,683 times
Shoppingtown has been in decline for years. Most of its contents have dispersed themselves in the nearby shopping centers, but no other mall exists on the east side. Destiny USA (nee Carousel Center) is the major super-regional mall here.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:11 AM

56,257 posts, read 80,427,244 times
Options for shopping in the Eastern suburbs are on Erie Boulevard East in DeWitt or the Towne Center at Fayetteville: COR Companies | Towne Center at Fayetteville, Fayetteville NY

There are some smaller shopping corridors as well.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:49 AM

Also, since you are searching the Northern suburbs, in terms of shopping, check out the Route 31 corridor in Clay, the Route 57 corridor in Clay and the Route 11 corridor in the Cicero/North Syracuse/Mattydale area. Great Northern Mall(similar to Shoppingtown) is on the Route 31 corridor.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:19 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,509,527 times
You musta caught Destiny on a busy day. Completely Deadsville everytime I've been. Was there on a Friday night before Christmas, fearing the worst, and parked right in front of the door did what I had to do and walked into TGIF Fridays at 6 PM to be seated right away. Drove away in zero traffic and didn't see a single car on the Thruway headed East.

Shoppingtown is the deadest place I have ever seen.

I've always found the Northern suberbs to be where the action is. Always busy and lots of choices.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
You musta caught Destiny on a busy day. Completely Deadsville everytime I've been. Was there on a Friday night before Christmas, fearing the worst, and parked right in front of the door did what I had to do and walked into TGIF Fridays at 6 PM to be seated right away. Drove away in zero traffic and didn't see a single car on the Thruway headed East.

Shoppingtown is the deadest place I have ever seen.

I've always found the Northern suberbs to be where the action is. Always busy and lots of choices.
DestinyUSA is usually busy to the point I don't go and I live about a 5-10 minute drive from there, give or take. It is the 6th biggest mall in the country. So, you can park in certain areas and get in and out, if you know where to go or where you are going.

Route 31 in Clay can be crazy as well. Route 11 in Cicero isn't too bad. West Genesee Street in Fairmount/Camillus isn't too bad. Same with Erie Boulevard or the Towne Center at Fayetteville.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:55 PM

35 posts, read 60,106 times
Thanks for the input. We ended up going to the Carousel Mall today while venturing into all of the surrounding suburbs and it was busy, but not crazy, so we are good with that. After looking at all of the areas, we like the Eastern and Western suburbs best from first impression. Shopping seems plentiful no matter what area you are in and it seems fairly quick to get to another area if needed. Thanks again.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridacanes View Post
Thanks for the input. We ended up going to the Carousel Mall today while venturing into all of the surrounding suburbs and it was busy, but not crazy, so we are good with that. After looking at all of the areas, we like the Eastern and Western suburbs best from first impression. Shopping seems plentiful no matter what area you are in and it seems fairly quick to get to another area if needed. Thanks again.
Is there anything you are looking for in a school district or in terms of walkability, etc?

Old 12-28-2013, 05:34 PM

Another thing that could help with your potential decision is that this is being constructed in Camillus in the Western suburbs: Township 5, Syracuse, NY | Cameron Group LLC

Old 12-28-2013, 06:19 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,509,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
DestinyUSA is usually busy to the point I don't go and I live about a 5-10 minute drive from there, give or take. It is the 6th biggest mall in the country. So, you can park in certain areas and get in and out, if you know where to go or where you are going.

Route 31 in Clay can be crazy as well. Route 11 in Cicero isn't too bad. West Genesee Street in Fairmount/Camillus isn't too bad. Same with Erie Boulevard or the Towne Center at Fayetteville.
Bear in mind I avoid malls like the clap. But I have been to Destiny a lot this year seeing the new places. Stating next year I will resume my once every five years policy. I have never seen it busy.

When I went a couple weeks ago it was for service on my iPhone so I had an appointment. At 4:10. And my wife didn't get home from work til almost 3:30. And Apple will skip you over if your late and that was the only appointment. We got on the Thruway to very light traffic. Off at exit 36 to zero traffic. Arrive at mall about 4:00 and parked right outside door of entrance closest to Apple. Walk through empty mall and arrive 4:10. Wait while they fix phone. Walk through empty mall to Fridays to be seated right away. Eat and walk through empty mall, noting that Toby Keith's is completely empty which makes me happy. Leave mall to zero traffic and get on Thruway and didn't see a single other car from exit 36 to 33.

The complete lack of traffic is possiblely the only nice thing about this area. Going to Buffalo next week and semi dreading the traffic and Florida in a couple weeks and just about laying awake at night dreading the traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area