U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 09:47 AM

56,076 posts, read 80,155,010 times

Advertisements

There isn't a right or wrong, but what do you feel is the best individual grocery store in the area? Personally, I like the Taft Road Wegmans due to always being properly stocked or it at least seems to be that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 11:41 AM

14,969 posts, read 11,933,997 times
Yup.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:06 PM

1,537 posts, read 2,204,461 times
Green Hills

Old 01-24-2014, 03:48 AM

129 posts, read 199,494 times
Taft Road has been going downhill for a long time. Cut back the coffee hours, cut back the hot food bar, they keep dropping things I was buying, this week they've been re-arranging and had tons of empty shelf space or were out of stuff. Couldn't keep heat and eat mashed potatoes in stock at night for months. Meat prices are stupid high unless you buy in bulk. Has a few older cashiers, IE not kids, that are super good though.

But we used to like and prefer P&C, until it became Tops.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:04 PM

274 posts, read 204,521 times
Wegmans in Fayetteville is IMO the best all rounder. It may be alittle expensive to shop there but the amounts of stock they carry is crazy.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:43 PM

865 posts, read 1,546,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range View Post
Wegmans in Fayetteville is IMO the best all rounder. It may be alittle expensive to shop there but the amounts of stock they carry is crazy.
I don't think Wegmans - the one in Fayetteville or in general - is very expensive. Tops charges exorbitant prices for food. Walmart is on-par with Wegmans for price. Aldi is the cheapest, of course.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:27 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,501,088 times
My wife and I both like Wegmans a lot even though we don't have any near by. But they are super expensive. On pretty much everything. If I lived next door to one is still shop elsewhere for everything except afew odd things only they carry. With the coming of Trader Joes I most likely would never see the inside of another Wegmans.

I agree on Tops though. We stopped at the Sherril one a couple weeks ago and good god.

We mostly use Price Chopper and Walmart cause they are close.

I like to keep my money local when practical so shop at Chantrys as much as I can. People say they are expensive but really they ain't bad. I do realize it's way to far for you folks.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:20 PM

56,076 posts, read 80,155,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
I don't think Wegmans - the one in Fayetteville or in general - is very expensive. Tops charges exorbitant prices for food. Walmart is on-par with Wegmans for price. Aldi is the cheapest, of course.
I agree with this, as I go to all 3 and you can see the difference in terms of prices. For instance, for milk, it may be 1.99-2.19 at Wegmans, about 2.39-2.49 or so at Tops and 1.79-1.99 at Aldi.

As ToeJam mentioned earlier, Green Hills, while pricey is kind of like a mini Wegmans. Good pastries, deli, hot food and salads. I've heard that they have good bread too. They don't have their own brand for many items, but they also have products that many may not have, like old school cereals.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:02 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,953,895 times
With the exception of Aldi, I find that Wegman's has the least expensive - reliably so, which I cannot say for Price Chopper (and Tops is ridiculous) - groceries... at least for what I buy. Even then, Wegman's has Aldi beat on frozen vegetables, meat (cuts of raw meat; I don't mean hot dogs or deli meat), and hot dog/hamburg buns. The xx sharp cheddar I buy is the same price but Wegman's is extraordinarily better... same goes for deli meat.

And the Dewitt (zip coded F'ville :P) Wegman's is the best one, imo. The cuts of meat are better and the selection and quality of produce are WAY better than other Wegman's. It's fortunate, for me, that Aldi and Wegman's are directly across the street from each other there now.

Walmart doesn't strike as a good place to grocery shop at all. Our nearest one is across from another Aldi... and the prices at WM are higher than Aldi. Meat and dairy are quite a bit more expensive (maybe the same price for something like milk but nothing else) than Wegman's and the quality of meat and a LOT of the produce at WM is just garbage, in comparison.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:41 PM

865 posts, read 1,546,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
With the exception of Aldi, I find that Wegman's has the least expensive - reliably so, which I cannot say for Price Chopper (and Tops is ridiculous) - groceries... at least for what I buy. Even then, Wegman's has Aldi beat on frozen vegetables, meat (cuts of raw meat; I don't mean hot dogs or deli meat), and hot dog/hamburg buns. The xx sharp cheddar I buy is the same price but Wegman's is extraordinarily better... same goes for deli meat.

And the Dewitt (zip coded F'ville :P) Wegman's is the best one, imo. The cuts of meat are better and the selection and quality of produce are WAY better than other Wegman's. It's fortunate, for me, that Aldi and Wegman's are directly across the street from each other there now.

Walmart doesn't strike as a good place to grocery shop at all. Our nearest one is across from another Aldi... and the prices at WM are higher than Aldi. Meat and dairy are quite a bit more expensive (maybe the same price for something like milk but nothing else) than Wegman's and the quality of meat and a LOT of the produce at WM is just garbage, in comparison.
The only time I ever step into Walmart is to buy motor oil haha. Or if I am at the junkyard on Myers road, I'll stop at Walmart to wash up.

Aldi produce is generally pretty good. Extremely limited selection. The East Syracuse Walmart (I am guessing that is the one you are talking about) just doens't seem like a nice place to shop. Not always clean inside and somewhat rowdy people. I watched a guy get in a fight with the Dunkin Donuts teller over an expired coupon.

I live close to a Tops. I won't shop there unless it's ONLY for one item in an emergency. Otherwise, the gas I spend driving to Wegmans in Fayetteville or Aldi on Erie more than covers what I save by NOT shopping at tops.

Does Tops have different pricing based on location? I'm guessing the one by me has higher prices because they are located right next to SU and a bunch of people who cannot drive elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area