U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 08:26 AM

56,278 posts, read 80,465,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUPlanner View Post
I grew up in Strathmore and went to Most Holy Rosary, at the corner of Roberts and Bellevue Aves. I believe it's now called the Bishops Academy as Most Holy Rosary. It is Catholic, but I had classmates that were not. Offers a good education in a safe environment, and the tuition isn't as steep as MPH (I originally went there but changed schools in 3rd grade for that reason). Most families with children there also live in the neighborhood, so might help in the transition to the area. Might be worth a look.

I believe Our Lady of Pompeii and Blessed Sacrament also have elementary schools that are still open. Both of those are proximate to Sedgwick.
I forgot about Rosary and it would be a good option for elementary school. I think some kids either go public or to Ludden after 6th grade. Here's a girl that transferred from Ludden to Corcoran to play Basketball: CNYcentral.com - Latest local news, weather and sports for Syracuse and Central New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some kids still may/do go due to certain programs(the IB program at Corcoran for example) or may go to ITC(Institute of Technology at Central). Some may go to Syracuse Academy of Science, a charter school in the city. Syracuse City Schools also has the Say Yes to Education program: Syracuse | Say Yes to Education Scottholm on the East Side is a similar neighborhood and is zoned for Nottingham High, a school that still sends some kids to Ivies and other good colleges, but has metrics that they need to improve in. Many affiliated with Syracuse University live in that area.

If you like that look, check out the Orvilton/DeWittshire area of DeWitt in the Jamesville-DeWitt SD off of East Genesee Street too. Solvay has the Piercefield area in the village off of West Genesee Street, but watch out for the taxes. Solvay has low utility rates due to having its own power company, but the schools while not bad, aren't as highly ranked as other suburban districts. Parsons Drive in Westvale also has a similar look and is in the Westhill SD. You can check some of the other villages like Liverpool, which has a similar look around the numbered streets. Manlius in its Historic District, Fayetteville near the library, North Syracuse around Palmer a little bit and Baldwinsville north of its Downtown may work for you as well.

As for private schools, depending on the grades, Bishop Ludden and Bishop Grimes would be the most affordable. Tuition is reduced for the second child, but check to see if that may be too much. You may be able to qualify for aid as well.

What is your budget for a home?
Here are a couple of streetviews of that area: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=dewit...18.51,,0,18.08

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=orvil...155.96,,0,2.63

Old 01-29-2014, 11:34 AM

29 posts, read 54,880 times
Thank you all the responses! You have given me a lot to consider. I knew Corcoran performed well, but I am also concerned about safety. As someone mentioned, I don't want my kids "getting jumped" on the first day of school.... It seems to be the trend in cities outside of NYC that the gorgeous old homes are in the worst/most dangerous school districts. But glad to know there are some charming old homes outside the city as well.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CazzaM View Post
Thank you all the responses! You have given me a lot to consider. I knew Corcoran performed well, but I am also concerned about safety. As someone mentioned, I don't want my kids "getting jumped" on the first day of school.... It seems to be the trend in cities outside of NYC that the gorgeous old homes are in the worst/most dangerous school districts. But glad to know there are some charming old homes outside the city as well.
What is nice about that area of DeWitt is that you have some things you can walk to, as well as big box shopping on Erie Boulevard and at the Fayetteville Towne Center.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:28 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,510,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Definitely do NOT send your children to public school on any side of the city except *perhaps* the east side. You'll have trouble there too, most likely, but it won't be a given that the girls will jump you on the first day, to show you who's boss.
Question from someone who kids are out of school and who's grand kids are in safe schools.

Does this really happen??

Old 01-29-2014, 04:10 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,963,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Question from someone who kids are out of school and who's grand kids are in safe schools.

Heck yes, it does.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post

I think experiences vary from talking with people that have recently gone to SCSD schools including relatives, a couple of co-workers kids and children of church members. It can run the gamut, but it seems like it depends on who you hang with and how much the child invests in their education too. This includes Black and White children, btw. Some of the children went to college and graduated, went into the military or went to work right away, as well as went to the 4 bigger city HS's.

This isn't to say that there aren't any serious issues in the schools though.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-29-2014 at 04:41 PM..

Old 01-29-2014, 04:43 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,963,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think experiences vary from talking with people that have recently gone to SCSD schools including relatives, a couple of co-workers kids and children of church members. It can run the gamut, but it seems like it depends on who you hang with and how much the child invests in their education too. This includes Black and White children, btw. Some of the children went to college and graduated, went into the military or went to work right away, as well as went to the 4 bigger city HS's.
Where they end up says little about what happens in school NOW. Parents don't want their kid having her head bashed against the dryer for being "an uppity ******." 11 years old. On the first day of school... or the first week, once word gets around to other grades and even peeing during classes won't keep you safe. Heck- even if no one attacks you, by some miracle, knowing that a lot of people want to hurt you is a messed up thing for a child to have to process.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Where they end up says little about what happens in school NOW. Parents don't want their kid having her head bashed against the dryer for being "an uppity ******." 11 years old. On the first day of school... or the first week, once word gets around to other grades and even peeing during classes won't keep you safe. Heck- even if no one attacks you, by some miracle, knowing that a lot of people want to hurt you is a messed up thing for a child to have to process.
I'm just passing info from people that have recently gone to SCSD schools and I consistently hear that it depends on the person and their experience. This includes nieces and a nephew at the elementary level that are doing fine.

Again, I'm not denying the issues or even what you are saying, but there are a range of examples is all that I'm saying in regards to SCSD schools. With this said, to give a personal preference for the OP, I'd say to look into Jamesville-DeWitt due to being a very good, diverse(in many ways to a degree), proximity to shopping/hospitals/events and it has the type of homes mentioned in the original post. There are other transplants there due to its proximity to Syracuse University and other colleges too.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:22 PM

1,537 posts, read 2,209,477 times
I think bad things can happen at any of the schools. I think there are schools outside the city where rules are enforced and it keeps most students in line. Inner city schools rely more on street justice where no one snitches and a punishment from the school is useless and calling the parents doesn't mean much.
As for the catholic school systems, the problem I have seen is that the school is so small that the younger kids spend time with much older kids and pick up things they shouldn't at a much younger age.

In all types of schools it it really depends on the child's home life and how active the parents are in the kid's school activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area