U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-28-2014, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
29 posts, read 60,545 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

I may be moving back the area from NYC with my family this fall. Doing some research on homes and schools. I see that the Sedgwick and Strathmore areas inside Syracuse are gorgeous, and not entirely overpriced, but their schools are ranked extremely low. (Henniger, Corcoran, etc. All ranked 3/10 or below) I know people mention Pebble Hill as an alternative, but tuition is around $13,000 per child and I have two kids. We cannot afford that, as that is what you pay in NYC and one of the main reasons we want to move. Are there any affordable alternatives to the public schools in these areas? I can't believe people would buy these gorgeous old homes just to send their kids to the worst schools in the city. Please advise!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-28-2014, 07:53 PM
 
65,514 posts, read 91,325,464 times
Reputation: 14344
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazzaM View Post
I may be moving back the area from NYC with my family this fall. Doing some research on homes and schools. I see that the Sedgwick and Strathmore areas inside Syracuse are gorgeous, and not entirely overpriced, but their schools are ranked extremely low. (Henniger, Corcoran, etc. All ranked 3/10 or below) I know people mention Pebble Hill as an alternative, but tuition is around $13,000 per child and I have two kids. We cannot afford that, as that is what you pay in NYC and one of the main reasons we want to move. Are there any affordable alternatives to the public schools in these areas? I can't believe people would buy these gorgeous old homes just to send their kids to the worst schools in the city. Please advise!
Some kids still may/do go due to certain programs(the IB program at Corcoran for example) or may go to ITC(Institute of Technology at Central). Some may go to Syracuse Academy of Science, a charter school in the city. Syracuse City Schools also has the Say Yes to Education program: Syracuse | Say Yes to Education Scottholm on the East Side is a similar neighborhood and is zoned for Nottingham High, a school that still sends some kids to Ivies and other good colleges, but has metrics that they need to improve in. Many affiliated with Syracuse University live in that area.

If you like that look, check out the Orvilton/DeWittshire area of DeWitt in the Jamesville-DeWitt SD off of East Genesee Street too. Solvay has the Piercefield area in the village off of West Genesee Street, but watch out for the taxes. Solvay has low utility rates due to having its own power company, but the schools while not bad, aren't as highly ranked as other suburban districts. Parsons Drive in Westvale also has a similar look and is in the Westhill SD. You can check some of the other villages like Liverpool, which has a similar look around the numbered streets. Manlius in its Historic District, Fayetteville near the library, North Syracuse around Palmer a little bit and Baldwinsville north of its Downtown may work for you as well.

As for private schools, depending on the grades, Bishop Ludden and Bishop Grimes would be the most affordable. Tuition is reduced for the second child, but check to see if that may be too much. You may be able to qualify for aid as well.

What is your budget for a home?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-28-2014 at 08:09 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2014, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
29 posts, read 60,545 times
Reputation: 16
Probably in the 200k range (not too much over), although not entirely sure yet since I have not done the math. I do love old houses, but it seems the majority of Syracuse's old homes for sale are in the worst school districts.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2014, 10:06 PM
 
65,514 posts, read 91,325,464 times
Reputation: 14344
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazzaM View Post
Probably in the 200k range (not too much over), although not entirely sure yet since I have not done the math. I do love old houses, but it seems the majority of Syracuse's old homes for sale are in the worst school districts.
What districts? What about these listings? Dewitt Real Estate - 107 Pelham Rd, Dewitt, NY, 13214

Dewitt Real Estate - 6 Ely Dr, Dewitt, NY, 13066

Dewitt Real Estate - 108 Wellington Rd, Dewitt, NY, 13214

Dewitt Real Estate - 141 Edwards Dr, Dewitt, NY, 13066

Geddes Real Estate - 424 Cherry Rd, Geddes, NY, 13219

Geddes Real Estate - 312 Lathrop Rd, Geddes, NY, 13219

Geddes Real Estate - 403 Orchard Road S, Geddes, NY, 13219

Geddes Real Estate - 213 Maple Rd, Geddes, NY, 13219

Geddes Real Estate - 326 Lathrop Road, Geddes, NY, 13219

Geddes Real Estate - 329 Westvale Road, Geddes, NY, 13219

Salina Real Estate - 713 Second Street, Salina, NY, 13088

Manlius Real Estate - 221 Huntleigh Ave, Manlius, NY, 13066

Manlius Real Estate - 212 S Manlius St, Manlius, NY, 13066

Manlius Real Estate - 205 Smith St, Manlius, NY, 13104

Lysander Real Estate - 52 W Genesee St, Lysander, NY, 13027

Van Buren Real Estate - 64 Downer St, Van Buren, NY, 13027

Lysander Real Estate - 44 W Genesee, Lysander, NY, 13027

Lysander Real Estate - 19 Salina St, Lysander, NY, 13027

Cicero Real Estate - 102 Baum Ave, Cicero, NY, 13212

Camillus Real Estate - 3 Green St, Camillus, NY, 13031

Camillus Real Estate - 118 Gillespie Ave, Camillus, NY, 13219

Onondaga Real Estate - 4318 Fay Rd, Onondaga, NY, 13219

Marcellus Real Estate - 9 Chrisler Street, Marcellus, NY, 13108

Marcellus Real Estate - 8 North St, Marcellus, NY, 13108

Marcellus Real Estate - 38 W Main St, Marcellus, NY, 13108

Skaneateles Real Estate - 191 E Genesee St, Skaneateles, NY, 13152

Geddes Real Estate - 110 Wynthrop Rd, Geddes, NY, 13209

Cazenovia Real Estate - 44 Farnham St, Cazenovia, NY, 13035

Cazenovia Real Estate - 17 Nelson St, Cazenovia, NY, 13035

Cazenovia Real Estate - 10 Center St, Cazenovia, NY, 13035

Sullivan Real Estate - 177 W GENESEE ST, Sullivan, NY, 13037

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-28-2014 at 11:03 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2014, 10:27 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
29 posts, read 60,545 times
Reputation: 16
Thank you! I have seen many of those and saved them, just in case they are still available when and if we move. I meant the schools, not districts. I am used to saying districts because NYC has a lot of districts (mostly bad). I just love those old Victorian, Tudor, and Arts & Crafts homes. But not enough to make my kids go to bad schools.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2014, 10:29 PM
 
65,514 posts, read 91,325,464 times
Reputation: 14344
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazzaM View Post
Thank you! I have seen many of those and saved them, just in case they are still available when and if we move. I meant the schools, not districts. I am used to saying districts because NYC has a lot of districts (mostly bad). I just love those old Victorian, Tudor, and Arts & Crafts homes. But not enough to make my kids go to bad schools.
All of the homes listed above are in good to some of the best school districts in Upstate NY.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2014, 08:37 AM
 
2,440 posts, read 5,231,595 times
Reputation: 1979
Definitely do NOT send your children to public school on any side of the city except *perhaps* the east side. You'll have trouble there too, most likely, but it won't be a given that the girls will jump you on the first day, to show you who's boss.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2014, 09:10 AM
 
Location: DeWitt, NY
1,002 posts, read 1,783,083 times
Reputation: 1429
There are a variety of private schools - and MPH is far and away the most expensive of them. Bishop Grimes and Bishop Ludden for example.

Both of the neighborhoods you mention are within the Syracuse City School District, as will be any other city neighborhood. They have all of the typical city school issues, though there are perfectly good schools in this district.

(For reference, my own progression was Ed Smith (K-6, now a K-8), Levy (7-8, now closed) and Nottingham (9-12) - I graduated 10 years ago)

Corcoran has the IB program as well, and tends to perform reasonably well.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2014, 09:19 AM
 
65,514 posts, read 91,325,464 times
Reputation: 14344
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
There are a variety of private schools - and MPH is far and away the most expensive of them. Bishop Grimes and Bishop Ludden for example.

Both of the neighborhoods you mention are within the Syracuse City School District, as will be any other city neighborhood. They have all of the typical city school issues, though there are perfectly good schools in this district.

(For reference, my own progression was Ed Smith (K-6, now a K-8), Levy (7-8, now closed) and Nottingham (9-12) - I graduated 10 years ago)

Corcoran has the IB program as well, and tends to perform reasonably well.
People may not realize this fact, but White students at Corcoran have the highest grad rate in the SCSD at 82% according to the NYSED Report Card: https://reportcards.nysed.gov/files/...1800010033.pdf

Many go either the Roberts K-8 school or go to Meachem then to Clary Jr. High(which has single sex classes and a dress code). Corcoran has the second highest grad rate behind ITC(usually in the 60's in terms of percentage). So, it may be a matter of considering many factors.

Henninger has closer split between Black and White students(about 40-45% of each) and that is the public HS that kids from Sedgwick go to.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-29-2014 at 09:35 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2014, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Syracuse, NY
162 posts, read 250,728 times
Reputation: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazzaM View Post
I may be moving back the area from NYC with my family this fall. Doing some research on homes and schools. I see that the Sedgwick and Strathmore areas inside Syracuse are gorgeous, and not entirely overpriced, but their schools are ranked extremely low. (Henniger, Corcoran, etc. All ranked 3/10 or below) I know people mention Pebble Hill as an alternative, but tuition is around $13,000 per child and I have two kids. We cannot afford that, as that is what you pay in NYC and one of the main reasons we want to move. Are there any affordable alternatives to the public schools in these areas? I can't believe people would buy these gorgeous old homes just to send their kids to the worst schools in the city. Please advise!
I grew up in Strathmore and went to Most Holy Rosary, at the corner of Roberts and Bellevue Aves. I believe it's now called the Bishops Academy as Most Holy Rosary. It is Catholic, but I had classmates that were not. Offers a good education in a safe environment, and the tuition isn't as steep as MPH (I originally went there but changed schools in 3rd grade for that reason). Most families with children there also live in the neighborhood, so might help in the transition to the area. Might be worth a look.

I believe Our Lady of Pompeii and Blessed Sacrament also have elementary schools that are still open. Both of those are proximate to Sedgwick.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top