U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 06:51 AM

65,479 posts, read 91,284,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CazzaM View Post
Yet another reason why I like old homes! How terrible.
To add to this, they've worked their way Down South and to other states: Buy New Construction Homes for Sale - Ryan Homes
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 02:59 PM

14 posts, read 25,637 times
I went into a $300k ryan model a few weeks ago and was being sold on how their quality has come so far since all the ryan problems of the past. When the salesman was walking me around, I pointed out how all the water lines in the house were made of cpvc (very cheap) and the return duct work was all made of flex duct. He had an excuse for everything and started getting mad at me because of my questions.

I drove through 2 different ryan neighborhoods after that that were only a few years old. Every house in the development looked aged about a decade.

On the other hand, I'm impressed with j. alberici homes. Those seem to have very good quality all around. No I dont work for them.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:43 AM

8 posts, read 9,977 times
I owned a Ryan home in Ohio and bought again when I moved to CNY. My Ohio home was older (built 1979), our current home was built in 2011. No major issue with either house. Typical things in the older house needed replaced but nothing unusual.

Our 2011 built home has exceeded our expectations quite honestly. Everyone I have talked to in the neighborhood has said the same as well. One owner had an issue with the stone front leaking, Ryan came back, ripped it all down, and rebuilt the stone front to correct the issue. Stuff happens and they did not "shortcut" the fix.

I'm very happy with the construction quality of the entire home and the layout of the neighborhood. The house has been energy efficient, solid, and problem free since we have been in it. If you are going through a Ryan neighborhood, stop and ask someone outside about their house, that's what we did.

Or you could sit on these forums and listen to all the "I'm moving out of NY, the weather is terrible, there's no jobs, etc." hermits

Old 04-08-2014, 09:51 AM

To build on the above post, it's all in what you're looking for. We werent looking for a custom $300-500k home. We were looking for a modern home with a solid structure, quality upgrades and sq ft we could grow into as a family, in a good area/school district.that will be attractive to a large market of buyers in the future to come. I wouldn't want my kids romping around a custom home, maybe after they grow up a bit

Old 04-08-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by profiler7 View Post
I I pointed out how all the water lines in the house were made of cpvc (very cheap) and the return duct work was all made of flex duct. He had an excuse for everything and started getting mad at me because of my questions.
you realize there are pros and cons to copper vs pvc piping? How would all the return duct work be made from flex duct? that makes absolutely zero sense even financially. I have no flex ducting anywhere in the house including the connections to the furnace in the basement.

Care to share the other items you pointed out? Should we go back to cloth covered wiring, plaster and insufficient insulation too?

Did you build or purchase a home?

Old 04-09-2014, 01:45 PM

Pretty sensitive aren't you?

Here's the link to one example: 2166 Mercer Street, Lysander NY - Trulia

There are many like it. I agree on it not making sense, which is why I had a problem with it. You apparently lucked out as the Ryan salesman stated to me "we have to use it to be energy star 3.0 compliant" which also makes no sense to me—being in the HVAC industry and a certified building analyst.

Additionally, I would take copper or PEX tubing over CPVC (not pvc) any day. For people who are experienced working with it, it does matter.

Your other questions don't deserve a response.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionman View Post
you realize there are pros and cons to copper vs pvc piping? How would all the return duct work be made from flex duct? that makes absolutely zero sense even financially. I have no flex ducting anywhere in the house including the connections to the furnace in the basement.

Care to share the other items you pointed out? Should we go back to cloth covered wiring, plaster and insufficient insulation too?

Did you build or purchase a home?
That sounds like something the Ryan salesman I spoke to would have responded with.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by profiler7 View Post
Pretty sensitive aren't you?

Here's the link to one example: 2166 Mercer Street, Lysander NY - Trulia

There are many like it. I agree on it not making sense, which is why I had a problem with it. You apparently lucked out as the Ryan salesman stated to me "we have to use it to be energy star 3.0 compliant" which also makes no sense to me—being in the HVAC industry and a certified building analyst.

Additionally, I would take copper or PEX tubing over CPVC (not pvc) any day. For people who are experienced working with it, it does matter.

Your other questions don't deserve a response.
Anybody can google cpvc vs copper and see the pros and cons of both, so that is simply your preference. Being an energy auditor I figured you would prefer the thermal insulation of cpvc over copper to retain heat on the hot water side. But alas, you must have been too busy worrying about the return ducting that, quite frankly, doesnt matter either (so long as it was installed properly and allows the proper volume of air required by the furnace).

Pro-tip: There are other categories other than HVAC that make a solid home. Maybe get some certifications in those areas as well and report back? Odd that my home inspector was also a certified BA and commented on how far along Ryan homes have come and how impressed he was with the build quality in the neighborhood.

Could you tell us more about why you were house shopping, did you purchase a home, did you build? If so who built your home? If you didn't purchase a home how is your experience or lack there of useful (aside from HVAC experience of course)?

Building quality will vary for any large builders because any given area will have different contractors and superintendents. Myself and my neighbors are all happy with our homes in the clay/cicero area. I have good friends in baldwinsville that just built and are pleased as well. Do yourself a favor and walk through a neighborhood you are interested on a weekend and talk with the folks you see outside. We did this in Warners, the folks we talked to were happy with their homes as well.

Last edited by missionman; 04-09-2014 at 04:28 PM..

Old 04-09-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionman (Ryan fanboy) View Post
Anybody can google cpvc vs copper and see the pros and cons of both, so that is simply your preference1. Being an energy auditor I figured you would prefer the thermal insulation of cpvc over copper to retain heat on the hot water side2. But alas, you must have been too busy worrying about the return ducting that, quite frankly, doesnt matter either (so long as it was installed properly and allows the proper volume of air required by the furnace)3.

Pro-tip: There are other categories other than HVAC that make a solid home4. Maybe get some certifications in those areas as well and report back?5 Odd that my home inspector was also a certified BA and commented on how far along Ryan homes have come and how impressed he was with the build quality in the neighborhood. 6

Could you tell us more about why you were house shopping7, did you purchase a home, did you build?8 If so who built your home? If you didn't purchase a home how is your experience or lack there of useful (aside from HVAC experience of course)?9

Building quality will vary for any large builders because any given area will have different contractors and superintendents.10 Myself and my neighbors are all happy with our homes in the clay/cicero area.11 I have good friends in baldwinsville that just built and are pleased as well.12 Do yourself a favor and walk through a neighborhood you are interested on a weekend and talk with the folks you see outside. We did this in Warners, the folks we talked to were happy with their homes as well.13
1: I prefer PEX.
2: I prefer PEX.
3: Glad you added that contingency. It does matter. Flex duct creates turbulence and air flow restrictions simply by not having a smooth interior surface. Like I said before, it doesnt make sense to use it as a return trunk.
4: Thanks for the Home Depot "Pro-tip."
5: I have. Report back on what?
6: You have a friend? Home inspectors are always reliable sources. [/endsarcasm]
7: Because I was house shopping.
8: In the process of building.
9: Useful to what?
10: You think so?
11: I have friends and family in the Clay/ Cicero area that hate their Ryan homes and all the problems that came with them. Maybe they're your neighbors. Maybe your study of what your neighbors think of their homes is lack luster?
12: Give it time.
13: That's awesome advice and news. Congratulations!

Old 04-09-2014, 08:46 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,348,563 times
Thoughts on Ryan Homes??? It makes me want to sing the Little Boxes song...

Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes made of ticky tacky,
Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes all the same.
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one,
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area