Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 08:50 PM

29 posts, read 71,054 times

Advertisements

What is the story with Ryan Homes? Every home search I do in central NY is full of them. Are they good quality? Are they the only company around? I am not a fan of the cookie cutter houses, but am keeping my options open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 08:53 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazzaM View Post
What is the story with Ryan Homes? Every home search I do in central NY is full of them. Are they good quality? Are they the only company around? I am not a fan of the cookie cutter houses, but am keeping my options open.
They have a shaky reputation, but some people have been fine with them as well. Just make sure before you buy. This may help too: HBA of Central New York

CNY homes for sale in Syracuse NY, Central New York, Upstate New York homes for sale - Eldan Homes

Heritage Homes is a custom new home builder Central New York (CNY): Custom built/colonial style house plans: Traditional style homes

Find Your Distinctive New Harrington Home

Zellar Homes - Locations

and many others.......

Old 01-28-2014, 09:28 PM

Thank you so much!

Old 01-29-2014, 04:26 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,687 times
Ryan Homes' undeserved bad reputation

Syracuse Area Builders

Looking for homebuilders in CNY

Ryan Homes, any problems?

Ryan Homes in Central NY/Syracuse area

Old 01-29-2014, 11:35 AM

Thank you Becca!

Old 01-29-2014, 11:44 AM

Wow, Becca, I just read some of these threads and I am shocked at how bad people say they are. What I don't understand is why they are popping up all over the place, and I mean all over NY State, if they are known to be "junk" houses. Well, at least I know to avoid them, now. Thanks!

Old 02-02-2014, 04:13 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Ryan sells a LOT of homes because they have what people want: LOW price, and yet you get all of the 'neat' stuff like crown molding, granite counters, three beds, two baths, wall paper borders, and all the stuff that new buyers want but can't afford in a home of proper quality.

What you also get is the cheapest possible construction, many times built on a slab, cheap roof shingles, sparse insulation, poor quality windows, low quality doors, and 'two car garages' that you can barely squeeze into your car.

There is a local guy in Syracuse who builds the same way--Eldan Homes, but he goes one step further: when a developer finishes with a development, Eldan buys the left over/unbuildable lots and sticks up a few houses of Ryan quality. You get to say you live in 'so and so' development is the attraction.

I would stay away from homes built by either of these operations. Do a little work and you will find that there are several better quality builders in the area.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:10 PM

These homes are spreading all over upstate NY like a disease. What a scam.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:38 PM

865 posts, read 2,161,409 times
A coworker of mine was recently looking at a house in one of the recent developments that have popped up in the area. A lot of the houses, built by Ryan Homes, seem to be falling apart at only 10 years old. That's kind of crazy, considering I know a lot of people that living in well built 150 year old houses!

I'm not sure I would fault Ryan homes. I have never deal with them, so I can't say, but I would imagine if you went to them and had them build a house and specified that you wanted higher quality, they would be able to do so.

America's culture is pretty much exactly what they are building in all of the developments. People want to live in nice homes that they may not necessarily be able to afford, for the cheapest price possible.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
A coworker of mine was recently looking at a house in one of the recent developments that have popped up in the area. A lot of the houses, built by Ryan Homes, seem to be falling apart at only 10 years old. That's kind of crazy, considering I know a lot of people that living in well built 150 year old houses!

I'm not sure I would fault Ryan homes. I have never deal with them, so I can't say, but I would imagine if you went to them and had them build a house and specified that you wanted higher quality, they would be able to do so.

America's culture is pretty much exactly what they are building in all of the developments. People want to live in nice homes that they may not necessarily be able to afford, for the cheapest price possible.

Yet another reason why I like old homes! How terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area