U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-24-2014, 02:54 PM
sk2 sk2 started this thread
 
64 posts, read 52,760 times
Reputation: 22

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthedream View Post
When a basketball team generates as much revenue for a school as SU basketball does for SU, then it certainly makes sense that the head coach (who is primarily responsible for its long term success) make that much money. Sure, you can argue the players should be compensated better, but certainly, this argument about Boeheim is non-sensical. On a net revenue analysis, Boeheim's salary is MORE THAN fair.
Don't quality professors bring the student into SU in the first place? Who goes to a school because of a basketball program? Net revenue........you could find a replacement at any high school in New York State as it is the PLAYERS that make the program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-24-2014, 03:10 PM
 
173 posts, read 204,317 times
Reputation: 423
I'm not even sure if this is a serious response. Do you really think SU would recruit the players they do without a coach like Boeheim? College sports is a business. Colleges pay coaches the big bucks because they can recruit the best players around the country and turn them into a team that can compete. Teams that compete in the major sports draw fans and sell merchandise. This makes the school money.

Quality professor(S) (plural) draw students to SU (i.e., no single professor is really drawing in students, which is why the comparison is not supported). Having a great basketball team to get behind also doesn't hurt (note, I did not go to SU and am not a huge SU fan, but I did go to a big 10 school with great sports, and I would be lying if I said that didn't have at least a little influence on where I chose to go). Boeheim is 1 person who makes a large impact on the draw of the school, and a direct impact on revenue coming in. This is why I always hate it when people complain that college coaches are getting paid more than college presidents -- it's because they are making money for the university -- much more than they are paid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2014, 05:40 AM
sk2 sk2 started this thread
 
64 posts, read 52,760 times
Reputation: 22
[quote=jonthedream;33618558]I'm not even sure if this is a serious response. Do you really think SU would recruit the players they do without a coach like Boeheim?

Yes! When Boeheim is long gone Syracuse will continue to get many top high school players. Three reasons:

The Big East Conference- now ACC- any of those programs can recruit top players

The Dome - where was the Orange program before it?

Nothing else going for the region
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2014, 09:08 AM
 
173 posts, read 204,317 times
Reputation: 423
Your argument is that SU could bring in a coach and pay him much less and still succeed at the caliber they do now. I don't see a logical connection between any of your three points to that argument. My responses in bold below.

[quote=sk2;33642434]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthedream View Post
I'm not even sure if this is a serious response. Do you really think SU would recruit the players they do without a coach like Boeheim?

Yes! When Boeheim is long gone Syracuse will continue to get many top high school players. Three reasons:

The Big East Conference- now ACC- any of those programs can recruit top players There is a huge difference between players that can compete in Division 1 major conferences, and the cream of the crop. Boeheim recruits the best because he is good at what he does. Any coach that can recruit this caliber of player gets compensated accordingly. Bring in a no-name coach so you can save some money and you don't get those players, and your program falls to the wayside. Sure, you might make the NCAA tournament, but you won't have the continued success that SU has had under Boeheim. There's obvious outliers, where a no name team whose five seniors come together and put together an amazing run. But here, we're talking about consistent and continued success. Doesn't happen at schools with undercompensated coaches.

The Dome - where was the Orange program before it? The Dome is an awkward basketball venue. Half of the stadium is empty when you're in there. Other major conference schools have great stadiums (that don't have a weird hybrid setup). If there is not a coach there who has a history of success (giving the best players hopes of championships and NBA aspirations) the best players won't come. Players are coming for Boeheim, not the Dome.

Nothing else going for the region
All the more reason why SU needs to pay their coach so much. To ensure the continued success of the team that an entire community supports (and that supports an entire community). Not sure how this is an argument for why a program could succeed with a lower paid coach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2014, 09:40 AM
 
5,895 posts, read 6,669,691 times
Reputation: 15193
It is disgusting that Boeheim, or any college coach for that matter, is paid more than the professors who are teaching more routine subjects. It simply is a very wrong allocation of our priorities.

We take some of the worst students and give them a free ride at a fine university. We pay the coash a HUGE amount of money. Long term this degredation will take it's toll.

As for Boeheim needing to apologize? Are you kidding me. it's a GAME for starters. Nothing which happens on that court is important enough to matter after the final buzzer rings. I wasn't privy to his words, but I don't think they were racial, and likely simply compared the late second period call with a previous call which went against Syracuse. The identical call was a block in the first period, but suddenly was a charge in the second half. The game is played at a high enough level that these sorts of inconsistencies ought not to be a determinant of the outcome--and likely Boeheim was simply voicing his concern for that change of interpretation. He's entitled.....and quite frankly, I didn't Boeheim had it in him!

Now, as for Fair's foul words about how it cost Syracuse the game.....what kind of team player is he? Where is HIS apology? Note to CJ: Your game alone is not going to get you into the NBA. Don't pizz off the guy who can at least get you a try-out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2014, 02:23 PM
 
Location: 213, 310, 562, 909, 951, 952, 315, ???
1,537 posts, read 2,209,221 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
It is disgusting that Boeheim, or any college coach for that matter, is paid more than the professors who are teaching more routine subjects. It simply is a very wrong allocation of our priorities.
Education isn't about education. It is about money.

Coaches and players fill the dome with jersey wearing, beer drinking, nacho eating, deep pocket fans. That is why they bring in the big money.

I think a bigger issue is the fact that these schools don't value their professors. They hire adjunct professors to skirt paying what a professor should be making and allows them to not provide benefits for their professors. They will never be seen as money makers because they can all be replaced at the diploma factory that they call a school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2014, 02:56 PM
sk2 sk2 started this thread
 
64 posts, read 52,760 times
Reputation: 22
Big East/ACC - the ACC is a major upgrade for Syracuse and any coach sfter Jimmy leaves will have top talent to choose from. Any Division III coach could direct the talent that comes to Syracuse or any ACC team. If they paid the average salary of a Division I coach to coach Syracuse they would still have enough to assign a full time assistant to every player on the team and tutor!

Top recruits also came to Syracuse long before Boeheim was coach and the Big East/ACC........ever hear of Dave Bing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2014, 04:05 PM
 
56,264 posts, read 80,446,330 times
Reputation: 12413
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk2 View Post
Big East/ACC - the ACC is a major upgrade for Syracuse and any coach sfter Jimmy leaves will have top talent to choose from. Any Division III coach could direct the talent that comes to Syracuse or any ACC team. If they paid the average salary of a Division I coach to coach Syracuse they would still have enough to assign a full time assistant to every player on the team and tutor!

Top recruits also came to Syracuse long before Boeheim was coach and the Big East/ACC........ever hear of Dave Bing?
Dave Bing was a rare player and what many people don't know is that he wasn't a big scorer in high school(averaged around 12-13 points a game). There were good teams before Boeheim was the head coach, but he, the Big East and the Carrier Dome brought the program to another level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2014, 06:54 AM
 
173 posts, read 204,317 times
Reputation: 423
Once again, I am talking about continued and consistent success. Dave Bing was ONE good recruit, that turned a losing team into a winner -- for three years. The year after he left, SU had a losing season again.

Boeheim has NEVER had a losing season and has had at least 20 wins in all but two seasons. Fans in Syracuse have become accustomed to a winning team, year after year. Look at the teams that are consistently competing for a national championship - they all pay their coaches a hefty sum, and why, because the coaches have a name, which enables them to consistently recruit the best (not just one or two outliers here or there).

Great, they're in the ACC. They can hire a crap coach and underpay him, and then become BC and never compete for a national championship again. That will do wonders for the revenue the team brings in. Boeheim's salary is justified because he wins, and in turn, that makes the school $$$$$!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk2 View Post
Big East/ACC - the ACC is a major upgrade for Syracuse and any coach sfter Jimmy leaves will have top talent to choose from. Any Division III coach could direct the talent that comes to Syracuse or any ACC team. If they paid the average salary of a Division I coach to coach Syracuse they would still have enough to assign a full time assistant to every player on the team and tutor!

Top recruits also came to Syracuse long before Boeheim was coach and the Big East/ACC........ever hear of Dave Bing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2014, 02:42 PM
sk2 sk2 started this thread
 
64 posts, read 52,760 times
Reputation: 22
Boeheim will never have a losing record or any coach that follows him as long as he keeps 20 "CUPCAKES" on the schedule every year like the likes of Buffalo, UC Charlotte, Albany, Wagner, William & Mary, Niagara, Colgate...........and other marginal Division I programs that he can pad the wins!

The Big East made Jim Boeheim and to his credit he did it well milking it and made him a very rich man. in a region starved for Division I sports Syracuse has ZERO competition.. Boston College is a poor example with the likes of all the other programs in the region along with NFL< NBA & NHL, MSL competition for the sports dollar.

What does Syracuse University compete with..............ZERO major league sports, ZERO Divison I programs in basketball & football. Let's be honest as anyone could coach this basketball team besides Boeheim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:01 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top