Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2014, 03:20 PM

214 posts, read 324,761 times

Advertisements

Well, first of all, we purchased a dishwasher from Olums, and the salesperson said that we can simply plug it into our refrigerator outlet and have a plumber come install it (we do not currently own a dishwasher or have hook ups in place). Upon doing some internet research, I'm not sure that this information is actually correct. Some sources are saying that I would need to have an electrician run a new line.

I have the dishwasher sitting in my living room now, and I'm not really sure what to do or who to call. Obviously I can't have the plumber come in and do his work until we can plug it in first. But I'm not sure if we *can* plug it in or not. Is there an electrician that can come and look at it and advise me on what to do without charging me a huge service charge or something? I'm feeling kind of clueless here, so any advise would be appreciated! Also, please feel free to recommend businesses. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 03:22 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,109,197 times
What type of dishwasher is it?
Did you read the Users Manual?
There should be some sort of step by step instructions as to what to do first.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:19 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,747,695 times
Are you replacing a dishwasher or is this a completely new install? If it's a replacement, a youtube video will easily show you how to do it. If it's new completely, you'll need to change out a piece on your hot water supply line (to go to the dishwasher) and add a piece for the waste line (for all the water that comes out.) It's much less scary than it sounds... very cheap to do it yourselves. Maybe $5? There are youtube videos for that too.

The salesperson is incorrect... dishwashers need their own outlet and it will say so in the instructions.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Are you replacing a dishwasher or is this a completely new install? If it's a replacement, a youtube video will easily show you how to do it. If it's new completely, you'll need to change out a piece on your hot water supply line (to go to the dishwasher) and add a piece for the waste line (for all the water that comes out.) It's much less scary than it sounds... very cheap to do it yourselves. Maybe $5? There are youtube videos for that too.

The salesperson is incorrect... dishwashers need their own outlet and it will say so in the instructions.
It's a completely new install. I went and watched a youtube video like you suggested and you're right, it really didn't look very difficult at all. We're going to attempt to do the plumbing ourselves I guess we still need an electrician though. Luckily, my husband just realized that there is an extra circuit running to that area of the house that used to be for a pool that no longer exists, so he thinks they can just use that line. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

Old 02-18-2014, 05:44 AM

And sorry for my redundant question... I skimmed your first post and didn't see where you said it was completely new. Derp.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:50 PM

*UPDATE* Just wanted to let you know that we did install the plumbing ourselves (actually, my husband ended up doing the whole thing, which is HUGE for him), and it worked out great! No leaks, everything seems to be running as it should Thanks for saving us a bundle, proulxfamily! We did have to have an electrician come in and hook up a dedicated line, but at least we didn't have to pay for that plus a plumber

Old 03-29-2014, 08:51 AM

That's so great! How does your husband feel now... especially manly and provider-ish, doesn't he?! lol - I'd always done all the plumbing but helping a friend of ours (who knows how to do EVERYTHING, and properly/to code haha) renovate his apartment building did wonders for his confidence. He can do so much more and it seems that he loves fixing more than he used to love staying clean every.single.second. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area