Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 01:46 AM

42 posts, read 119,421 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My elderly parents and I are thinking of moving to Syracuse, areas near Syracuse or outside of Auburn. I am disabled and because of an injury cannot drive more than 35/40 mph. Because of my dad's health we must be somewhat close to a hospital (within 15 miles) and because my mom doesn't drive we must be close to a supermarket. We are looking for a detached ranch style home under $325,000 with property taxes under $2,900. Is this possible?

Our main priority is safety. Areas with gangs, robberies, burglaries are out of the question (things can happen anyone) just not on a frequent basis. This will probably be the last move of our lives so please advise me.

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 06:42 AM

93,286 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Look in the Western suburbs. That home price is definitely possible, not sure about the taxes though. Fairmount seems like a happy medium. Community General Hospital is close and there is plenty of shopping at Fairmount Fair including a Wegmans.

Now that I think of it, perhaps something on the East Side near the Tops on Nottingham Road could work as well.

Another area that may work are the nicer parts of Nedrow(behind Pizza Hut or behind Hess) or perhaps the South Valley close to Nedrow, as Green Hills and Aldi are there and you would be close enough to about 3 or 4 hospitals.

There are probably other possibilities that may work too.

As far as a home, you may have a situation where the home price is much lower, but taxes are higher. You also have to consider property tax exemptions as well. That budget price would allow you to live anywhere, but you don't have to go that high for a solid home.

Something like this may even work due to a short drive to St. Joe's Hospital and Tops in Shop City or Wegmans on James Street: CNYHomes - 104 Schoeck Ave Syracuse 13203 It fits the home budget and is very close in terms of taxes.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-26-2014 at 07:48 AM..

Old 02-26-2014, 07:08 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Now that I think of it, perhaps something on the East Side near the Tops on Nottingham Road could work as well.
The Meadowbrook area was what first came to mind, because you're looking for local roads 15 minute access to the hospitals. There are a fair number of ranch style homes in that area - or close side of DeWitt in that same area. I'd particularly look at the area south/east of Meadowbrook Dr. (towards the Nottingham High School area) as there are more of that style house over there. The area itself is a bit hilly, but has easy access via local roads to grocery stores (Tops at 620 Nottingham Road or further east on E. Genesee St in DeWitt and Wegmans a bit east of that, Price Chopper a few minutes north at Erie Blvd/Midler).

Just south of there, there are developments and neighborhoods off of Tecumseh/Randall that may suit your needs in the same way.

Zip code for most of that area is 13224, though that zip code encompasses more than just that area. But generally south or east of Meadowbrook south to Nottingham Road is probably a good bet, east probably not much further than Jamesville Road or I-481 if you're looking to preserve quick local road access to hospitals.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
The Meadowbrook area was what first came to mind, because you're looking for local roads 15 minute access to the hospitals. There are a fair number of ranch style homes in that area - or close side of DeWitt in that same area. I'd particularly look at the area south/east of Meadowbrook Dr. (towards the Nottingham High School area) as there are more of that style house over there. The area itself is a bit hilly, but has easy access via local roads to grocery stores (Tops at 620 Nottingham Road or further east on E. Genesee St in DeWitt and Wegmans a bit east of that, Price Chopper a few minutes north at Erie Blvd/Midler).

Just south of there, there are developments and neighborhoods off of Tecumseh/Randall that may suit your needs in the same way.

Zip code for most of that area is 13224, though that zip code encompasses more than just that area. But generally south or east of Meadowbrook south to Nottingham Road is probably a good bet, east probably not much further than Jamesville Road or I-481 if you're looking to preserve quick local road access to hospitals.
This is one that may be a great fit in that area: CNYHomes - 917 Crawford Ave Syracuse 13224

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-26-2014 at 08:47 AM..

Old 02-26-2014, 08:06 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,050 times
I would look in the area around Auburn hospital. With the Boyle Center nearby, there are a lot of amenities for those with limited mobility.
The zipcode in that area is 13021.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:56 AM

201 posts, read 298,515 times
Is it correct to assume from your post that your mom needs to be able to WALK to the grocery store? If that is the case, I don't know how "walkable" a lot of the grocery stores that are suggested above truly are. The only grocery store I know of in a truly "walkable" area is Nichols in Liverpool. There, you're close to multiple hospitals (St. Joes, Crouse, Upstate). Also a very safe area. Properties won't really come on the market until spring though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
Hi,

My elderly parents and I are thinking of moving to Syracuse, areas near Syracuse or outside of Auburn. I am disabled and because of an injury cannot drive more than 35/40 mph. Because of my dad's health we must be somewhat close to a hospital (within 15 miles) and because my mom doesn't drive we must be close to a supermarket. We are looking for a detached ranch style home under $325,000 with property taxes under $2,900. Is this possible?

Our main priority is safety. Areas with gangs, robberies, burglaries are out of the question (things can happen anyone) just not on a frequent basis. This will probably be the last move of our lives so please advise me.

thank you

Old 02-26-2014, 09:11 AM

This may work and it puts you in between Auburn and Syracuse in a more small town/rural environment, but is a somewhat walkable village: CNYHomes - 117 Brown Street Elbridge 13060 There is a Big M grocery store on Main Street/Route 5.

This one in the village of Marcellus is similar in terms of setting and location of grocery store: CNYHomes - 14 Flower Ln Marcellus 13108

I'll try to add more later.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:13 AM

42 posts, read 119,421 times
Thank you to all that answered.

I wasn't as specific as I should have been. I'm sorry I wasn't.

My families needs would be a 1,900+ sq ft detached home not in a subdivision. I guess the maximum property taxes we could afford would be around $4,700.

From what it seems house prices are within our range but property/school taxes or not.

PS: My parents health conditions have worsen and from what I've read a cancer hospital is being built in Syracuse.

Once again many thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area