U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:23 PM

25,874 posts, read 44,175,702 times
WannaGoHome, if you don't mind my asking, are there any particular reasons why you've only chosen Syracuse and Hartford? There are a lot of other medium-sized cities in the Northeast too that might offer what you're looking for, such as Rochester (which I did see you mentioned), Scranton (which has a tougher job market but zilch in the way of violent crime), or even Providence (which is pricey but seems to have some very nice urban neighborhoods).

Old 12-03-2007, 07:29 PM

2,356 posts, read 6,144,264 times
WannaGoHome, your timing isn't good. You will hear lots of negative comments this time of year....

Right now this part of Upstate NY is experiencing a blizzard. The average high should be around 40, instead we have 30 degrees and very cold wind chills. Some Oak trees in my area haven't even finished shedding their leaves yet and we already have as much snow on the ground as we normally get in a whole December.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:48 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,729,048 times
I'm from the Hartford area but currently live in Kansas City. Odds are at least 50/50 that I will be moving to a community near Syracuse though if things pan out.

The Syracuse area might be more to your liking than Hartford. Housing in most of Connecticut is very expensive and jobs in Banking (presumably what your husband is looking for) are not as plentiful now thanks to consolidation and relocation of bank operations out of the Hartford area. Insurance still seems to be holding its own though. The Hartford area is seeing some positive population growth and the downtown area has some new construction taking place. Downtown housing is being built and the city is once again becoming a more lively place, more so than it has been in decades. Plenty of places to camp, hike or fish are just a half hour drive from downtown, assuming that you like outdoor activities. The Wadsworth Atheneum is an excellent art museum. It is the oldest of its kind in the nation. The new CT Science Center is on the rise downtown along side the new convention center.

Syracuse is more laid back than Hartford. Hartford is more a miniature version of New York City but with a New England flavor. Plenty of good restaurants can be found in both cities and I doubt you'll ever have a problem finding fresh seafood in either metro area.

People in Syracuse are likely to be more friendly than you'd find in staid New England. New Englanders are probably the most reserved people in the country and take their time warming up to newcomers. If you move to a Hartford community like my hometown of Simsbury or perhaps Avon or Glastonbury you will at least find plenty of people that are from other parts of the country and different nations. I think you'd find a little less culture shock in Syracuse though, at least people wise than in Hartford or most of New England. I know that my life experiences in Kansas City are to say the least, very much unlike New England. I suspect you'd be almost as shocked when you move to the Hartford area.

I believe the Syracuse area has a bright future. The new DestiNYUSA project will create tons of new jobs and can help improve the economies of adjacent counties to boot. I also suspect that eventually, people that are sick of the rat race in the New York City will find their way to CNY and even WNY where housing is cheaper, the cost of living is lower and the pace of life is less frenetic. It's definitely a place you should strongly consider.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:22 PM

25,874 posts, read 44,175,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I believe the Syracuse area has a bright future. The new DestiNYUSA project will create tons of new jobs and can help improve the economies of adjacent counties to boot. I also suspect that eventually, people that are sick of the rat race in the New York City will find their way to CNY and even WNY where housing is cheaper, the cost of living is lower and the pace of life is less frenetic. It's definitely a place you should strongly consider.
First those from Greater NYC began to devour Northern New Jersey, Western Long Island, and "Downstate" NY. Once those became too expensive they fled to Western CT, Eastern Long Island, and the Poconos. Now that these areas are also becoming increasingly expensive we're starting to see some seeping as far away as Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton, Newburgh, and Danbury. It's only a matter of time before they find their way to Binghamton, Albany, and yes, even Syracuse too. I don't view the "city folk" as being a burden though; I view them as being an opportunity to breathe fresh life into once-declining areas. I'm excited about what they might do to help Scranton revitalize in the upcoming years, and I think Syracuseans should be just as ecstatic.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:25 PM

230 posts, read 721,181 times
Hi everyone. . thanks for your reponses. We are open to anything, but these were the two towns that seemed to have good jobs for my husband and dirt cheap rent that will help us save as fast as possible. this is a place we will stay roughly three years while we save money. then we can have the option of going wherever else we want to go. Thanks for all of your replies. I'll talk to my husband when he gets home. And, Ham Sandwich, while I genuinely appreciate your response, I find it odd that you mention that people are larger in Syracuse. I might be a vegetarian and a pretty big advocate for a healthier lifestyle (i lost 40 pounds and have kept it off for three years), but to each his own on the topic of weight. And also. . I honestly feel that people care too much about their weight here and tend to diet to extremes in an effort to look good, not to be healthy. It'll be nice to have my kids around people who look different and don't find pressure to fit a mold (while I'll tell them to be healthy, i won't make them feel terrible if they are a little "larger").Sorry, I just thought it was such an odd comment and it reminded me of why I want to leave CA in the first place.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:26 PM

p.s.- i've heard a lot of negative things about providence. is it all crap?

Old 12-04-2007, 04:40 AM

Providence is a very corrupt city. However, it seems to be a few years ahead of Hartford as far as the creation of a livable downtown environment. It is only about 50 miles to Boston and it is closer to the ocean than Hartford. Personally, I find both Syracuse and Hartford much more inviting than Providence.

Rents in Hartford County are not cheap. Much of Connecticut's housing and rental prices compare to the highest rent areas of California.

Connecticut is one of the slimmest states in the nation. Colorado is ranked first I believe. In any event people in Connecticut enjoy outdoor activities year round and stay physically fit for health reasons. The shallowness of the people you describe in California you'd find here in the Kansas City area (California lite in my opinion) but you won't likely see it in New England or Syracuse.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:33 AM

haha California lite. :-) i've looked at rentals near Hartford and they are nowhere near as expensive as here. I have friends in a one bedroom for $1600, two beds at $2,000 aren't odd. And they come with nothing. No laundry, no parking spot, zilch. We have a great deal, but it's not good enough. I'm still considering either or but I think that CT might me "winning" right now due to it's organic resources (Whole Foods). I love love love to make gourmet meals and they always have the odd ingredients I need (Seitan anyone??) Thanks everyone!! I really really appreciate it. :-)

Old 12-04-2007, 09:51 AM

2,850 posts, read 6,808,437 times
Thought I'd add that in Syracuse there is a Mother Earth Health Foods. We're less likely to have franchise stores in this part of the country. Also try Natur-Tyme - Your Shop in Syracuse for Discount Vitamins,* Nutritional Supplements, Sports Nutrition, & Books on Health Issues for addl local links, and Healthy Cooking with Organic Annie. There's a natural food co-op too.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:54 AM

I have to admit I don't know what part of California you are from. But be prepared to spend around a Grand a month for a halfway decent two bedroom but more in the higher end communities. I have not lived there in a while but it is possible the rental market has bottomed out thanks to all the home buying that was going on. Cincinnati also has a glut of apartments and it has helped to keep prices down even though housing prices have really jumped in recent years.

Yes, there are several organic food markets in the area. There is a great little store in downtown Newington right next to Hoffman's gun shop. Can't recall the name but you should check it out if you move to the Hartford area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area