Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 01:32 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,991,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I had a horrible, HORRIBLE dining experience here and it seems to be the norm for them. Thankfully they are closed now for "renovations." I hope they never open back up. And I can't recommend enough for people NOT to go there.
It's sad because their food is actually pretty good. But I've never eaten in there, only ordered for catering type take-out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 03:17 PM

92,624 posts, read 122,930,315 times
There's also Nestico's and Twin Trees, with the latter having 3 locations. Grotto and Basil Leaf are a couple of spots in North Syracuse. Actually, the village of North Syracuse has a bunch of Italian restaurants along Brewerton Road/Route 11/Main Street.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:36 PM

26 posts, read 51,654 times
Default Good BBQ

If it's not too late, I would strongly recommend the Limp Lizard in Western Lights on the near west side, and the Clam Bar at Sweetheart Corner in N. Syracuse. I'm sure you've received numerous tips to try the Dinosaur BBQ, but they've been lousy since 2006. I'm sure that's too harsh for some, but I really believe it jumped the shark when John Stage sold to Fat Larry.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:45 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,609,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelhead93 View Post
I really believe it jumped the shark when John Stage sold to Fat Larry.
I have heard that a lot. I never had the pleasure of dining there before it was sold.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I have heard that a lot. I never had the pleasure of dining there before it was sold.
I didn't go a lot before the change, but I'll just say that the last meal from there was disappointing and you can tell the difference.

Limp Lizard is interesting in that the Western Lights location seems to be generally fine, while the North Syracuse location is so-so, from my experience. I haven't been to the Liverpool location though.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:49 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,257,552 times
I've been to Dino before and after the change and it's the same to me. I really like it. I wish they would move to a better location. Parking sucks and on a nice day when you have to wait outside some of the local talent can be annoying. Limp Lizard is ok most times. The meat is generally ok but the sides suck.

Spagetti Factory in the beach is open for the season. I was there on opening night. There being closed is one of the things that makes winter drag on forever. All is right with the world now.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:07 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,511,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelhead93 View Post
If it's not too late, I would strongly recommend the Limp Lizard in Western Lights on the near west side, and the Clam Bar at Sweetheart Corner in N. Syracuse. I'm sure you've received numerous tips to try the Dinosaur BBQ, but they've been lousy since 2006. I'm sure that's too harsh for some, but I really believe it jumped the shark when John Stage sold to Fat Larry.
Limp Lizard a good seafood place?? The Western Lights location has 2 seafood dishes on the menu, Liverpool has 3. Not what I would consider a seafood restaurant...

Regarding Dino, I have long been over it - it's all hype. If you want to wait 2+ hours for a table, get sh*tty service, have people literally standing up against your table because it's so packed, and music so loud that you can't even hear each other with yelling... then by all means, Dino is your jam. The food is good, but not worth the hassle. I only went there when people were visiting me. I would explain to them all of the above and they would still want to go. One time, after we got there, my friend didn't want to stay and wait. I said "OH NO, you wanted the experience, we're staying." I'd pick Limp Lizard over Dino in a heartbeat. There are so many other GOOD places to eat in Syracuse, I don't understand why people want to go to Dino over and over and over. /rant

Old 04-04-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Limp Lizard a good seafood place?? The Western Lights location has 2 seafood dishes on the menu, Liverpool has 3. Not what I would consider a seafood restaurant...

Regarding Dino, I have long been over it - it's all hype. If you want to wait 2+ hours for a table, get sh*tty service, have people literally standing up against your table because it's so packed, and music so loud that you can't even hear each other with yelling... then by all means, Dino is your jam. The food is good, but not worth the hassle. I only went there when people were visiting me. I would explain to them all of the above and they would still want to go. One time, after we got there, my friend didn't want to stay and wait. I said "OH NO, you wanted the experience, we're staying." I'd pick Limp Lizard over Dino in a heartbeat. There are so many other GOOD places to eat in Syracuse, I don't understand why people want to go to Dino over and over and over. /rant
I totally agree.

To be honest, I think a place that gets "slept on" in regards to places to eat is Eva European Sweets. Authentic Polish food that is good, with good desserts too. I know it isn't one of the types of places mentioned in the thread title, but I think it is a place that is worth a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area