U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2014, 06:58 AM

177 posts, read 206,758 times

Advertisements

My wife doesn't have an account on city-data, but she wanted me to start a thread about OBGYNs in the area. We are looking to start trying for #2 soon, and she wants to get an OB lined up as soon as possible. Online reviews are tough, because you never know how accurate they are, so any personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. Here is the criteria my wife has:

1) She wants an OB group, as opposed to a solo, so that she can see all members of the group throughout the pregnancy and be guaranteed that one of the OBs she has met with previously will be on call in the hospital.
2) We live in Baldwinsville, so the closer the better. Also, which is better St. Joe's or Crouse? I think it has to be one of those two hospitals given our location, and they're both about the same distance away (with St. Joe's being slightly closer).
3) She would like the OB's office to have ultrasounds on-site rather than having to travel to a separate place for that.
4) She doesn't mind going to a midwife, but she would want them to be affiliated with an OB practice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 07:08 AM

177 posts, read 206,758 times
Oh, and one more thing. My wife was looking at Associates for Womens Medicine, and they seemed like a great fit, they deliver at St. Joe's which is closer, they have a location in Liverpool, and an on-site ultrasound, but there was an online review of them where someone said "if I was looking for a drive-by papsmear, i would have gone to planned parenthood" So this has deterred my wife from them. Any input on this practice would be appreciated as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthedream View Post
My wife doesn't have an account on city-data, but she wanted me to start a thread about OBGYNs in the area. We are looking to start trying for #2 soon, and she wants to get an OB lined up as soon as possible. Online reviews are tough, because you never know how accurate they are, so any personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. Here is the criteria my wife has:

1) She wants an OB group, as opposed to a solo, so that she can see all members of the group throughout the pregnancy and be guaranteed that one of the OBs she has met with previously will be on call in the hospital.
2) We live in Baldwinsville, so the closer the better. Also, which is better St. Joe's or Crouse? I think it has to be one of those two hospitals given our location, and they're both about the same distance away (with St. Joe's being slightly closer).
3) She would like the OB's office to have ultrasounds on-site rather than having to travel to a separate place for that.
4) She doesn't mind going to a midwife, but she would want them to be affiliated with an OB practice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:58 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,648,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthedream View Post
Oh, and one more thing. My wife was looking at Associates for Womens Medicine, and they seemed like a great fit, they deliver at St. Joe's which is closer, they have a location in Liverpool, and an on-site ultrasound, but there was an online review of them where someone said "if I was looking for a drive-by papsmear, i would have gone to planned parenthood" So this has deterred my wife from them. Any input on this practice would be appreciated as well.
I was going to suggest them, but honestly the drive-by comment is completely true. It was great for me because I was just going for my annual so didn't need anything more than that. I was perfectly fine with having the doctor in the room for less than 5min (I am not exaggerating). But I would imagine for someone wanting a more personal experience along the way, this would not be a good choice.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:14 PM

211 posts, read 266,297 times
I posted a similar thread a couple of months ago, looking for midwife recommendations and didn't get any replies. I'm pregnant with my second right now and currently going to CNY Womens healthcare in East Syracuse. Honestly, from what you said, I think she would really like it there. I'm just not sure if it's too far of a drive or not. I was also with them for my first pregnancy and I didn't have any issues. They do have an on sight sono, and they even just got this really nice 3d sonogram machine which takes amazing pictures. When I went in for my first appointment at 9 weeks, they gave me a 3d sono, and it was so clear that I was able to see arm and leg buds and the umbilical cord (that's amazing clarity for so early on). They deliver at Crouse, which has a good reputation, and you even have the option of leaving after 24 hours if you make arrangements to do so in advance. I've heard that they are the best hospital to be in if complications arise (not sure if that's true or not).

Personally, I didn't like having an OB group last time, and I felt like it was too impersonal (even though they did each spend a lot of time with me). That's the only reason why I'm looking to switch providers, not because there's anything wrong with CNY Womens healthcare or anything. I didn't really like Crouse much either. Again, just a personal preference. I don't like being in cities or old hospital buildings. Nothing major. I had a couple of not-so-nice nurses too, which didn't help.

At this rate though, I might just end up staying with CNY womens healthcare and crouse again. I haven't gotten any midwife recommendations, and I too have heard mixed reviews about St. Josephs. I'm on the South side of the city, so I could deliver at Community General, but I really can't find very much information about them at all. I'm hesitant to go through the trouble of changing practices and hospitals without feeling confident that it's going to be a better fit for me. Especially considering the fact that the place I'm with now is *good*, even though they're not ideal for my personal preferences :/ Decisions, decisions.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or