Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 07:32 AM

865 posts, read 2,161,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Where in Liverpool are they coming from where it takes 25-30 minutes to get to North Syracuse? Both areas cover a large portion of the Northern suburbs.

I think it depends on where people work, but you can get anywhere within 20 or so around here.

There are people with money to move into these areas, it appears. Think about the demand for Downtown housing, which is increasing. So, there has to be enough people with money in order to move or to demand such housing.
May even be Bayberry. Near 57. Where we work in N. Syracuse, there's just not a good path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
What is your zip code?
I'm off of E. Brighton, East of 81
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 07:47 AM

93,345 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
May even be Bayberry. Near 57. Where we work in N. Syracuse, there's just not a good path.

I'm off of E. Brighton, East of 81
If it is Bayberry, then they could take the back way(Buckley Road) towards Morgan Road, all the way to Taft Road. Take a left onto Taft, which take them to work.

They could also take Buckley to Bear. Take a left onto Bear all the way to South Bay. Take a right onto South Bay and take that to Church. Take a left and go until it ends at Taft. Take a left onto Taft and you would get there in a couple of minutes.

You actually wouldn't have to take a highway and you would be going away from the traffic.

I think the only exception is that before the end of Bear Road at South Bay Road, they can get onto 481 South and get off at the Northern Boulevard exit to get to work. According to Google Maps, this is a 17 minute trip.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-02-2014 at 08:01 AM..

Old 06-02-2014, 09:05 AM

865 posts, read 2,161,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If it is Bayberry, then they could take the back way(Buckley Road) towards Morgan Road, all the way to Taft Road. Take a left onto Taft, which take them to work.

They could also take Buckley to Bear. Take a left onto Bear all the way to South Bay. Take a right onto South Bay and take that to Church. Take a left and go until it ends at Taft. Take a left onto Taft and you would get there in a couple of minutes.

You actually wouldn't have to take a highway and you would be going away from the traffic.

I think the only exception is that before the end of Bear Road at South Bay Road, they can get onto 481 South and get off at the Northern Boulevard exit to get to work. According to Google Maps, this is a 17 minute trip.
I have my eye on an apartment complex in Liverpool for a year until I can buy a house in 2016. Behind Taft Rd. wegmans and walking distance to work. I'm practically counting down the days until I can walk/bike to work! My two vehicles will feel neglected.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
I have my eye on an apartment complex in Liverpool for a year until I can buy a house in 2016. Behind Taft Rd. wegmans and walking distance to work. I'm practically counting down the days until I can walk/bike to work! My two vehicles will feel neglected.
What about apartments in the villages of Liverpool or North Syracuse? Look into Clayton Manor Apartments. I thought that they were great when I lived there and it puts in between the village of Liverpool and work, as well as still being close to Wegmans too. There are some apartments on Henry Clay just north of Taft Road that may work too.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:47 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
Oneida is growing? I drove through there the other day, expecting a hell hole based on some other posts in here. Looked like nice residential neighborhoods, downtown at least not bombed out with good bones. Not sure what the basis of growth would be, can't imagine Turning Stone is hiring that many mortgage paying jobs.

I still don't understand the attraction of Cicero/Clay/Baldwinsville compared to the hills south of Syracuse. In terms of commute time to the University Hill (and, be frank, is there much of anyplace else in Syr where relocatees come to the area to work?), Radisson would seem about equivalent to Fabius.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Oneida is growing? I drove through there the other day, expecting a hell hole based on some other posts in here. Looked like nice residential neighborhoods, downtown at least not bombed out with good bones. Not sure what the basis of growth would be, can't imagine Turning Stone is hiring that many mortgage paying jobs.

I still don't understand the attraction of Cicero/Clay/Baldwinsville compared to the hills south of Syracuse. In terms of commute time to the University Hill (and, be frank, is there much of anyplace else in Syr where relocatees come to the area to work?), Radisson would seem about equivalent to Fabius.
Radisson is more in line with the planned communities you see in the South. So, for some, that may be attractive with the variety of housing and the recreational options there. About 2500 people work there as well due to its Corporate Park. According to some information I've seen, the community is about 80% complete with the goal of having 10,000 resdients.

There has also been plenty of newer developments being built in parts of the Baldwinsville area off of Route 370 and west of I-690. They even have a bypass(Route 631) built to go around the village from 370 to Route 31 that ends near the Budweiser Plant and Radisson.

Also, there have been some companies that have set up shop at the Hancock Corporate Park in Cicero on the former Hancock Air Force Base and there is another corporate park on the other side of Taft Road with companies like Syracuse Research Corporation and Seneca Data, among some others.

Yes, Oneida grew a little over 3% between 2000-2010 and its zip code grew by around 7% during that same time. Some of it may have to do with Turning Stone and the Oneida Indian Enterprises and also its proximity to both Syracuse, Utica and Rome, as well as the Griffiss Business and Tech Park in Rome at the former Griffiss AFB. There is also some companies there like Hood and some other smaller companies nearby that have/had openings as well.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:58 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times
Oneida actually has a lot of growth in two area. High and low income.

The old city is basically section 8 housing. LOTS of teenagers pushing triple strollers in that area. Often with a couple older kids in tow. Population growth in the old city would be considered explosive.

And outside the city they have built a new city. Most of it is in the area connecting 5 and 365A. I don't know how many houses are up there, but I'd guess afew hundred. The oldest would be about 10 years old. A quarter million would get you in the door with the nicer ones running about 400k.

What you don't see is a middle class. Most of us are either gone or looking to leave. Both the state or just outside the city.

I do some work for some of the slumlords. They are from NYC. Decent enough people and what they are doing is legal but section 8 has become a way to pump government money down to the city. Leaving a path of destruction upstate.

I have also done some work up in the new city. I can't speak for all of them but the ones I know all work for some level of government or a non profit.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Oneida actually has a lot of growth in two area. High and low income.

The old city is basically section 8 housing. LOTS of teenagers pushing triple strollers in that area. Often with a couple older kids in tow. Population growth in the old city would be considered explosive.

And outside the city they have built a new city. Most of it is in the area connecting 5 and 365A. I don't know how many houses are up there, but I'd guess afew hundred. The oldest would be about 10 years old. A quarter million would get you in the door with the nicer ones running about 400k.

What you don't see is a middle class. Most of us are either gone or looking to leave. Both the state or just outside the city.

I do some work for some of the slumlords. They are from NYC. Decent enough people and what they are doing is legal but section 8 has become a way to pump government money down to the city. Leaving a path of destruction upstate.

I have also done some work up in the new city. I can't speak for all of them but the ones I know all work for some level of government or a non profit.
What do you consider middle class, as there are areas of the city that have a median household above the state figure? You can look on here at the census block group level and it will show the median household income for each of them within the city: Oneida, NY

Just as a frame of reference, the median household income for the state is $57,683: U.S. Median Household Income State Rank Based on ACS 2008-2012 data*

For instance, here is some information for a few of the census block groups: Census Block Group 940102-4 in Madison County, New York

Census Block Group 940101-2 in Madison County, New York

Census Block Group 940103-1 in Madison County, New York

It's poverty rate is 12.95 percent, while the state's is 14.9 and the country's is 14.88: Oneida, NY Income and Careers

So, it seems like it has a mix, economically.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:46 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times
Middle class is one of those things that's tough to pin down.

Madison county had/has a program for first time home buyers. I came in over the cut off but not by much. So I had to buy a dump. A guy making a small bit less then me could get the money and buy a middle class type house.

But if I had to throw a number out there I'd say between 100k and 250k.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Middle class is one of those things that's tough to pin down.

Madison county had/has a program for first time home buyers. I came in over the cut off but not by much. So I had to buy a dump. A guy making a small bit less then me could get the money and buy a middle class type house.

But if I had to throw a number out there I'd say between 100k and 250k.
That is middle class? I don't know, but I'd say that is at least upper middle class, given the COL of the area. Even areas like Fayetteville, Manlius, Skaneateles, etc. top out somewhere in the middle of that range for household median income. This may be the most affluent census block group in the area: Census Block Group 015202-1 in Onondaga County, New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area