U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-06-2014, 04:43 PM
 
8 posts, read 11,534 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

So I'm looking at apartments in downtown and found UA Towers at 500 south Salina. Is this about the limit of what's considered downtown, and therefore still considered more or less safe, or is this too far out of the downtown center to justify it's price $1200+ and ever important 'downtown' label? Most everything else in downtown seems to have a wait list a mile long. I haven't seen the apartments yet, but it has a too-good-to-be-true feel if they really do have as many vacancies as I've heard. Anybody familiar with the area, or building?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-06-2014, 05:10 PM
 
56,301 posts, read 80,502,572 times
Reputation: 12425
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtosu View Post
So I'm looking at apartments in downtown and found UA Towers at 500 south Salina. Is this about the limit of what's considered downtown, and therefore still considered more or less safe, or is this too far out of the downtown center to justify it's price $1200+ and ever important 'downtown' label? Most everything else in downtown seems to have a wait list a mile long. I haven't seen the apartments yet, but it has a too-good-to-be-true feel if they really do have as many vacancies as I've heard. Anybody familiar with the area, or building?
That is still considered to be in Downtown. It was formerly called the Chimes Building before it was simply called 500 South Salina. It used to house Cablesystems/Cooke Cablevision back in the 70's until the mid 90's or so. Anyway, it is still in Downtown and you are still close to everything that is there. I believe that Adams Street is the furthest south Downtown goes. Here is some info on the building: UA Towers - Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2014, 05:15 PM
 
Location: 213, 310, 562, 909, 951, 952, 315, ???
1,537 posts, read 2,210,136 times
Reputation: 1858
That building is called the Chimes building. It is on the far south end of downtown and directly across the street from the bus terminal. There are quite a few businesses in the building that have been there for a while. There is a deli on the ground floor. I don't remember there being apartments in there until recently. They had someone handing out flyers during the downtown living tour, but they were not part of the tour.

Because it is on the far end of downtown, it has pretty good views (at least from one side of the building). The other side of the building has a good view of, um, the south side.

I wouldn't live in that building unless there was security in the lobby. I have been in there during the day and anyone can walk in and use the lobby and elevator. The elevators are very old. For safety, I would require some sort of lock out to get to the floors with apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2014, 05:22 PM
 
8 posts, read 11,534 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks ckhthankgod. I saw on the downtown map that it's within the boundaries, but I've lived in many cities where the map boundaries don't tell the whole story: sometimes the good areas extended past them and sometimes they fall well short. I'm just wondering if anyone who knows that specific area has an opinion on how safe that block is. From what I hear, downtown is really quite safe and headed in the right direction, but is that the case at the boundaries as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2014, 05:25 PM
 
8 posts, read 11,534 times
Reputation: 10
On site security is one of my biggest concerns. Thanks Toe-Jam!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2014, 05:27 PM
 
56,301 posts, read 80,502,572 times
Reputation: 12425
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
That building is called the Chimes building. It is on the far south end of downtown and directly across the street from the bus terminal. There are quite a few businesses in the building that have been there for a while. There is a deli on the ground floor. I don't remember there being apartments in there until recently. They had someone handing out flyers during the downtown living tour, but they were not part of the tour.

Because it is on the far end of downtown, it has pretty good views (at least from one side of the building). The other side of the building has a good view of, um, the south side.

I wouldn't live in that building unless there was security in the lobby. I have been in there during the day and anyone can walk in and use the lobby and elevator. The elevators are very old. For safety, I would require some sort of lock out to get to the floors with apartments.
Why wasn't it on the Living Tour?

Yes, the Rescue Mission is on the other side of the railroad bridge on Gifford Street. Further south down Salina before the bridge is the Institute of Technology at Central High, a Salvation Army, Syracuse Community Health Center, the Centro Bus Hub, Center State CEO, a gas station and a Burger King, along with a couple of other businesses.

It is close to SU and the hospitals, but it may be a matter of comfort and the set up of the building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2014, 05:38 PM
 
56,301 posts, read 80,502,572 times
Reputation: 12425
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtosu View Post
Thanks ckhthankgod. I saw on the downtown map that it's within the boundaries, but I've lived in many cities where the map boundaries don't tell the whole story: sometimes the good areas extended past them and sometimes they fall well short. I'm just wondering if anyone who knows that specific area has an opinion on how safe that block is. From what I hear, downtown is really quite safe and headed in the right direction, but is that the case at the boundaries as well?
Downtown is generally safe and you could be fine in that building, but it will depend on the person and their comfort level, along with the building set up.

Also, is there a certain type of housing you are looking for? I ask because, you may be able to find similar housing in say Franklin Square or lofts like these in Tipperary Hill: Sutton Real Estate Company, LLC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2014, 05:46 PM
 
8 posts, read 11,534 times
Reputation: 10
I prefer city living and walking to just about everywhere. Sorry I didn't put in more about myself--attending SU in the fall, rent ceiling about $1400, no real worries about personal safety (as in--you can find trouble anywhere, not just inner cities) but I don't want my place broken into regularly, which means onsite security is a near must. I'm not a fan of suburbs--everything too spread out and blah. That will change when I have kids I'm sure, but I don't yet, and I still love cities.

Last edited by newtosu; 06-06-2014 at 05:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2014, 05:54 PM
 
56,301 posts, read 80,502,572 times
Reputation: 12425
There's these apartments, which are being built now: Sutton Real Estate Company, LLC

Or this listing: https://pmalliance.appfolio.com/list...7-e38deab1e405

The first and last listings could work: D.N.Drucker Ltd. :: Real Estate and Brokerage Company

Here's another one: Sutton Real Estate Company, LLC

and more here: Syracuse University Rent Apartment Housing

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-06-2014 at 06:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2014, 06:05 PM
 
Location: 213, 310, 562, 909, 951, 952, 315, ???
1,537 posts, read 2,210,136 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Why wasn't it on the Living Tour?
My guess is that they didn't want to "sponsor" the tour. They were just trying to pull in people from the tour. There were a few real estate agents that did the same thing with open houses that day.

To the OP, you can find a much better building in a much better location. If it sounds too good to be true, it is because it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top