U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2014, 08:15 AM

2 posts, read 1,287 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I'm moving to the Syracuse area for a job and would love some local input or direction on finding an apartment. I've noticed a lot of the similar threads here have received responses focusing around Liverpool as a good location, and I'll definitely be checking out some of those places (Harborside Manor, Pearl Street) when I travel up to visit next week.

I do like smaller communities though so I was also wondering about the surrounding towns and what my options might be there. My job will be in the north/eastish part of Syracuse, kind of near the airport, so I've been eyeing Cicero, Minoa, Fayetteville, Manlius, etc. My thoughts being that if I lived on the south/west side my commute would be worse due to having to go through/around downtown. Any truth to that, or does it really matter? A commute of up to 20-25 mins would be fine.

Relevant info: I'm a mid 30s guy and will be living alone, so a studio/1BR. No pets currently but a cat-friendly place might be nice. Budget will be $800 or so a month before utilities. Looking for apartments rather than house rentals. Washer/Dryer hookups in unit would be a huge plus, but not a deal breaker. Would like central AC as opposed to window units. A balcony would be really nice.

Any personal experience from living in those areas would be awesome, but any advice at all would be welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 09:28 AM

56,296 posts, read 80,484,640 times
You could still live west of the city and get to work within that time frame. For instance, you could live somewhere like here: Braeside | Dawn Homes Realty Investor and take either Route 174 to Route 5, then catch Route 695 in the village of Camillus and take that as it becomes I-690 east to I-81 north and get off at the Taft Road exit and turn right. Another way is to take Route 173 all the way across the Valley neighborhood in the city and catch I-481 north, get off at Northern Boulevard, to get to work.

You may like this place which is within minutes, but doesn't have the walkable village: Affordable Apartments | Cicero, NY

Old 06-13-2014, 10:12 AM

2 posts, read 1,287 times
Thanks so much for the insight, good to know traffic wouldn't be so much of a problem and I can expand my search area. Although this is the first time I've looked for housing with zero local experience, so having even more choices makes it that much more daunting, haha.

Are there any areas I should absolutely stay away from due to noise, crime, across the street from a landfill or whatever?

Old 06-13-2014, 10:22 AM

56,296 posts, read 80,484,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frungy View Post
Thanks so much for the insight, good to know traffic wouldn't be so much of a problem and I can expand my search area. Although this is the first time I've looked for housing with zero local experience, so having even more choices makes it that much more daunting, haha.

Are there any areas I should absolutely stay away from due to noise, crime, across the street from a landfill or whatever?
I'd say outside of some inner city neighborhoods and maybe certain apartment complexes, you should be generally alright.

Zoning may be different than where you are coming from. So, you wouldn't have something like a landfill across from a complex.

A place like this is pretty close as well: Rates And Amenities - Syracuse NY - Franklin Park Apartments

Here's another: Charter Oaks Apartments | Our Apartments

Or this one: Drumlin Heights | A DiMarco Group Property

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-13-2014 at 10:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or