U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 04:36 AM

56 posts, read 65,051 times

Advertisements

Help! Wife & I have been residing in a furnished 2 bedroom apt. in Baldwinsville for the summer. We love the area so much we have decided to take the apartment year-round as a second home but without the furnishings. We are looking to furnish without spending the kind of money an Ethan Allen charges, but the few stores we have looked at on-line (Furniture Row, Dunk & Bright, Value City) seem to have terrible reviews for delivering damaged goods or not delivering on time. Raymour & Flanagan might be within our budget but we had a bad experience with them in our current apartment down-state.
Any suggestions. Our budget is around $8,000 for 2 bedrooms, Living Room & Dining Room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 05:43 AM

56,106 posts, read 80,174,891 times
Perhaps you could try Ashley Furniture in Mattydale/North Syracuse. I'm not sure about delivery or prices, but they may be worth a look.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:07 AM

1,537 posts, read 2,204,890 times
You get what you pay for at Value City Furniture. Cheap furniture that doesn't hold up. If you are looking at couches, make sure you can flip the cushion if someone spills on it. Most of them have covering on the top and the front flap The rest is a paper thin piece of fabric. Getting a replacement cushion is so expensive that you might as well just get a new couch. The frame is so cheap, that it wouldn't even be worth recovering. It is disposable furniture.

I had horrible customer service there too. Spent an hour ordering the sectional and at the last minute they tell me that they can't get it in the color I chose. They will never see a dime of my money.

I have never used American Freight, but they do have good looking prices at their store on Erie Blvd. Discount Furniture and Cheap Mattress Store |American Freight

You might be surprised what you find at Big Lots too. I found a coffee table at Big Lots and they had the same table at Value City. The one at Big Lots was $80 cheaper.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:42 PM

thanks to you both. You read such horror stories about deliveries being delayed, damaged furniture being delivered etc. that buying furniture is right up there with buying a car or going to the dentist on our "non-bucket" list.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:05 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,501,888 times
My wife and I found ourselves needing new furniture for the downstairs last year.

Raymour & Flanagan donated some gift cards to us, not much but a fantastic gesture. So off we went. I had never been to one and I was VERY unimpressed. Real low quality stuff at super high prices. Build quality is Big Lots or worse and prices are 5th ave. Plus the sales men play that "I can give it to you today for.........." garbage.

We actually couldn't find anyone to take the gift cards and they expired.

Found out about a local place, very close actually. But I'm afraid they prolly wouldn't deliver that far for you. Decent stuff at decent prices. Price was the price without games. Could not possibly be happier with what we bought and the service and delivery.

I guess all I can offer is stay away from cities and chain places. Try to buy local. Its not always possible but sometimes you get lucky.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:24 PM

56,106 posts, read 80,174,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
My wife and I found ourselves needing new furniture for the downstairs last year.

Raymour & Flanagan donated some gift cards to us, not much but a fantastic gesture. So off we went. I had never been to one and I was VERY unimpressed. Real low quality stuff at super high prices. Build quality is Big Lots or worse and prices are 5th ave. Plus the sales men play that "I can give it to you today for.........." garbage.

We actually couldn't find anyone to take the gift cards and they expired.

Found out about a local place, very close actually. But I'm afraid they prolly wouldn't deliver that far for you. Decent stuff at decent prices. Price was the price without games. Could not possibly be happier with what we bought and the service and delivery.

I guess all I can offer is stay away from cities and chain places. Try to buy local. Its not always possible but sometimes you get lucky.
That reminded me, as I heard a commercial for this place, which has a location in Pulaski that will deliver to Syracuse: Mattress Express Sleep is Cheap Watertown Ft.Drum Pulaski

That may help in terms of getting some of the bedroom items.

I wonder about Adirondack Furniture too: Home | Adirondack Furniture

Perhaps this place in Auburn could work too: Lynch Furniture | Auburn, 159 Genessee St, NY, 13021

Here is another one in Auburn: Jonathan's Furniture | Living Room Furniture, Dining Room Furniture, Bedroom Furniture | Auburn Furniture Store

Old 08-04-2014, 10:04 AM

173 posts, read 203,689 times
Default Raymour & Flanigan

I bought some stuff at the Raymour & Flanigan in Clay and actually had a very good experience. Didn't want to buy for cheap because you get what you pay for. Salespeople weren't too pushy and the furniture is great quality.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:41 AM

9 posts, read 19,161 times
When we lived in Seneca Falls, we had good luck with
Barbara Jean's Furniture
4500 New York 414
North Rose, NY 14516

Old 08-15-2014, 03:57 PM

Thank you all; was back in NYC for a week so just got here in Baldwinsville again and read all of your posts. Unfortunately, like restaurant reviews, people sometimes have exact opposite opinions of the same place/store.
Our own limited experience with Raymour & Flanagan has been positive but we will look into the other stores mentioned in your replies. While this will be our "home away from home" we don't want to spend a ton of money on furniture but we do want quality stuff. We might need to buy specific items from different stores just as we get our Labriola Pretzel rolls from Price Choppers, cold cuts from Walmart (yes! Walmart) and other specific items from Wegman's and Tops (see, in just 3 months as resident in Baldwinsville we have discovered most of the "grocery" stores. We don't shop in Aldi however. Next, we plan to indulge in Gas Station Pizza!
Seriously, thanks to all for your advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or