U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 10:11 AM

66 posts, read 188,947 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had info/insights on renting in downtown Syracuse. I found online bits of info that there are new developments and they're trying to clean up the downtown area (part of the gentrification process!). Are there specific blocks or streets that we should try to avoid? Which ones are better? Thanks for any info you may have on living in downtown, or just downtown Syracuse in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 01:23 PM

31,199 posts, read 69,432,101 times
I'm honestly surprised nobody helped you. I would think that people would hope to encourage folks to move to their city's downtown to help it revitalize itself and make the city at-large a more attractive place to live, visit, work, and play in.

Best of luck in whatever you decide, and from one future downtown dweller to another, I applaud you!

Old 01-20-2008, 05:42 PM

2,359 posts, read 8,334,444 times
Sorry, I do not know downtown well enough to make any recommendations. Here's a website that may help you:

Syracuse Downtown Living Tour 2007 (broken link)

Old 01-21-2008, 05:35 AM

97 posts, read 389,092 times
Living in Downtown Syracuse is still out of the ordinary, but on the rise as an option. I believe almost all, if not all the spots available are condos. Downtown, while Armory Square is booming, suffers from a lack of parking necessary for more residents (though a condo would likely include it), and a complete and total lack of grocery stores, though Wegmans in Dewitt is worth the drive. Traffic is not much of a problem, and neither is lack of snow removal. Depending on your situation the lack of quality schools in the immediate vicinity of Downtown might be an issue.

Other neighborhoods close to Downtown are the University Area, which is good for younger people looking for a more vibrant neighborhood (and has decent public schools), and Strathmore, which has nice big old houses. Neither is more than 10 or 15 minutes away. In fact, from within Syracuse, it always seems that everything is always about 15 minutes away by car.

Housing prices are cheap, so if you find a neighborhood you like, purchasing instead of renting might be the better option. If you'd like suggestions as to what streets to look on, I can only give you that for my family's neighborhood (near Westcott St. in the University Area).

Old 01-22-2008, 02:35 PM

382 posts, read 1,409,604 times
Hawley-Green is a suggestion.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:25 PM

6 posts, read 22,568 times
Default Dowtown Syracuse living is great

I lived in Franklin Square (500 Plum St) for a year and loved it! It's right outside of what is officialy downtown Syracuse but downtown is only a five minute walk. I know of many people that live in Hanover and Armory Square and they really enjoy it. There are also a number of great mixed use buildings with apartments outside of the "squares" for rent. If you are looking for apartments visit cnyrealtor.com - they have a few listed or look up Sutton Company - they manage a lot of downtown rentals. Plus, rent is pretty reasonable. I was paying $1150 for my two bedroom apartment which was brand new and 950 sqft.

Last edited by kalinpmoon; 07-08-2008 at 12:44 PM..

Old 08-03-2008, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 9,263 times
Hanover Square is the best downtown location for housing. It is safe, quiet, and quick access to food, entertainment and highways, Plus, it is not as overpriced as Armory Square.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTrev View Post
Hanover Square is the best downtown location for housing. It is safe, quiet, and quick access to food, entertainment and highways, Plus, it is not as overpriced as Armory Square.
Would you happen to have any pictures?

Old 08-04-2008, 07:16 PM

2,359 posts, read 8,334,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbell View Post
Would you happen to have any pictures?
My photos of Hanover Square:

Old 08-11-2008, 01:22 PM

The center of Downtown Syracuse really looks great in the summer. Thanks for the photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area