U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 02:29 PM

56,253 posts, read 80,427,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post

The Village of Liverpool is my old stomping grounds!

Here's the run down of apt "complexes" in/around the VoL -
- Covered Bridge - just outside the Village on Vine St (proulxfamily used to live here)
- Pearl St & Harborside Manor - technically just outside Village limits off Old Liverpool Rd
- There's another no-name complex off Willow St that another member just moved to recently
- Studio and 1BR apartments on top of the Village Mall (center of VoL). They usually advertise on Craigslist (Village Mall Apartments in Liverpool)
- Fancy shmancy new apartments on top of Freedom of Espresso, owned/managed by JGB

Other than those, all other apartments are flats, usually houses converted into a few apartments. Your best bet is to use Craigslist to find these. The VoL is a highly desirable community and thus flats are sometimes hard to come by. Here's some examples that may work -
Liverpool rt370
One bedroom Village of Liverpool

As proulxfamily noted, you will want to stay within zip code 13088 - that encompasses the entirety of the VoL, but also does go further east to Galeville area which won't be walking distance to Hickory. This image shows VoL boundaries, within the red dashed line. Everything within that boundary will be walking distance to your work -

Just to touch on some of your other questions, the bus system isn't that great. But the good news is that it does run between VoL and downtown Syracuse, so you can get around that way. VoL does also have its own grocery store, as well as bars, restaurants, shops, cafes, library, park, etc... so everything you need for the most part would be within walking distance since you won't have a car.

As for the zoning law question, you wouldn't be able to build what you're looking for in the Village. But since that's still a few years out, you could hang tight in the Village until you're ready, and then look elsewhere to build.
Here is some information on those apartments, if you haven't checked them out already: Apartments for Rent - 401 First Street, Liverpool NY - JGB Properties, LLC

Harborside Manor | Dawn Homes Realty Investor

Pearl Street | Dawn Homes Realty Investor

Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartments - Standard Apartment Housing - Syracuse & Surrounding Areas - Covered Bridge Apartments

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Liver...=11,41.98,,0,0

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Liver...314.45,,0,6.05

I think that the white buildings are another complex: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Liver...,38.09,,0,2.22
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 09:39 PM

35 posts, read 33,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
The Village of Liverpool... and hopefully, Becca will come and suggest somewhere that isn't a complex. "Apartment 13088" is the search term you want and then make sure it's near enough, on the map.
Wow! You're a hero! There was nothing on Zillow and there's a million from this.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post

Just to touch on some of your other questions, the bus system isn't that great. But the good news is that it does run between VoL and downtown Syracuse, so you can get around that way. VoL does also have its own grocery store, as well as bars, restaurants, shops, cafes, library, park, etc... so everything you need for the most part would be within walking distance since you won't have a car.
Great insider information! Do you have any idea what the bus system is called or who I could Google to see the routes? When you say that the bus system isn't that great, what are you comparing it to? A major city or more suburban area?

Old 09-12-2014, 09:45 PM

Awesome! Thank everybody so much for all of this information (and I'm still open to any more that anyone has)!

Old 09-13-2014, 04:35 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,633,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameworks View Post
Great insider information! Do you have any idea what the bus system is called or who I could Google to see the routes? When you say that the bus system isn't that great, what are you comparing it to? A major city or more suburban area?
The bus system is called Centro - Welcome to Centro

I've never actually taken the bus there. I moved to Syracuse from Hawaii where the bus system was great and I now live in Philadelphia where there's a lot more public transportation options.

Here's a thread on my one attempt to use the bus in Syracuse - My Centro Experience

Old 09-13-2014, 06:08 AM

Here are the bus schedules and fare map for the Syracuse portion of the bus system: Centro Syracuse Schedules

http://www.centro.org/2011%20Propose...Zone%20Map.pdf

Old 09-13-2014, 01:01 PM

357 posts, read 834,573 times
A just a note on Centro -
I would agree with others that it's not the most reliable for the suburbs but that's because the demand is just not there. However, if you live anywhere near SU and the immediate neighborhoods it's actually very reliable. But that's because that is where the need is the greatest. Around here the buses run about every 15 minutes during peak times.

There are actually a large population of grad students and foreign students who do not own cars that live in the various apartment complexes or flats near SU and they get around by bus. I don't think getting to work or classes on a daily basis is an issue but it might be more of an issue to get groceries and such. This area isn't like NYC were there is a small market on every corner. But that said, a lot of people make friends with their neighbors and neighbors are pretty helpful. I actually help out one of my neighbors who is from Africa and is a PHD student occasionally run errands or such.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
A just a note on Centro -
I would agree with others that it's not the most reliable for the suburbs but that's because the demand is just not there. However, if you live anywhere near SU and the immediate neighborhoods it's actually very reliable. But that's because that is where the need is the greatest. Around here the buses run about every 15 minutes during peak times.

There are actually a large population of grad students and foreign students who do not own cars that live in the various apartment complexes or flats near SU and they get around by bus. I don't think getting to work or classes on a daily basis is an issue but it might be more of an issue to get groceries and such. This area isn't like NYC were there is a small market on every corner. But that said, a lot of people make friends with their neighbors and neighbors are pretty helpful. I actually help out one of my neighbors who is from Africa and is a PHD student occasionally run errands or such.
Thanks. I was hoping for input on that. One of the reasons why I thought I might be able to get by in Syracuse without a car was because it is a college area. I guess that the general answer to my question is that it is possible but will be difficult, kind of as I expected.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameworks View Post
Thanks. I was hoping for input on that. One of the reasons why I thought I might be able to get by in Syracuse without a car was because it is a college area. I guess that the general answer to my question is that it is possible but will be difficult, kind of as I expected.
What may help is that a place like Liverpool is walkable enough to where you can do your share of things without a car, by walking or biking to things within the village(groceries, work, restaurants, library, Onondaga Lake Park). You would have to use the bus to get to other shopping(clothing/big box/mall). There are such options not too far away, but it will depend on the bus schedules.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-13-2014 at 09:56 PM..

Old 09-14-2014, 05:30 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,633,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What may help is that a place like Liverpool is walkable enough to where you can do your share of things without a car, by walking or biking to things within the village(groceries, work, restaurants, library, Onondaga Lake Park). You would have to use the bus to get to other shopping(clothing/big box/mall). There are such options not too far away, but it will depend on the bus schedules.
I agree. If you want to be near work and you won't have a car, I would only be looking in the Village of Liverpool. It would be too much of a pain if you lived elsewhere and needed to take the bus to Liverpool every day for work. There is also a car rental place in the Village, so you could rent a car for a day as needed to run other errands and such, just an alternative to the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or