U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 08:43 AM

149 posts, read 200,031 times

Advertisements

Check out the areas near Fabius, Apulia, and unincorporated space between these towns and Jamesville. Apulia is half an hour south of Syracuse. So, it's within commuting distance, but it's very rural. I'd be surprised if they have zoning there. If you check out google maps you can see there is a lot of open space there. I'd guess you could either buy some land or lease some space from a farmer in the area.

The snow and weather is a significant part of Syracuse's character. Outsiders seem to have the biggest problem with the lack of sun during the winter. Often you will go weeks without seeing the sun. During December the sun sets at 4:30.
(yes). You go to work in the Dark and come home in the dark. The snow is dirty and brown. It can be bitingly cold for long periods of time. The snow and cold also make not having a car more difficult. Bus stops...cold...Walking, only where there are side walks. But many areas of the city and suburbs have sidewalks.

Then again...skiing (downhill) is 30 minutes away...cross country skiing is everywhere (local golf courses, trails etc..) Ice skating is available in many places. The Adirondacks are 80 miles away. (more of a summer destination)

To get to NYC...bus or train. There is an Amtrak station in East Syracuse.

I'd offer a warning to somebody who says they "dislike but don't hate the cold"...Syracuse is one snowy, windy, cold place. The winter is long
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 08:56 AM

56,252 posts, read 80,408,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booney56 View Post
Check out the areas near Fabius, Apulia, and unincorporated space between these towns and Jamesville. Apulia is half an hour south of Syracuse. So, it's within commuting distance, but it's very rural. I'd be surprised if they have zoning there. If you check out google maps you can see there is a lot of open space there. I'd guess you could either buy some land or lease some space from a farmer in the area.

The snow and weather is a significant part of Syracuse's character. Outsiders seem to have the biggest problem with the lack of sun during the winter. Often you will go weeks without seeing the sun. During December the sun sets at 4:30.
(yes). You go to work in the Dark and come home in the dark. The snow is dirty and brown. It can be bitingly cold for long periods of time. The snow and cold also make not having a car more difficult. Bus stops...cold...Walking, only where there are side walks. But many areas of the city and suburbs have sidewalks.

Then again...skiing (downhill) is 30 minutes away...cross country skiing is everywhere (local golf courses, trails etc..) Ice skating is available in many places. The Adirondacks are 80 miles away. (more of a summer destination)

I'd offer a warning to somebody who says they "dislike but don't hate the cold"...Syracuse is one snowy, windy, cold place. The winter is long
It has since moved to the Transportation Center near DestinyUSA. That is where the bus station is as well now.

I wonder if a town like Spafford may have lax zoning laws too.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-22-2014 at 09:32 AM..

Old 09-22-2014, 09:14 PM

35 posts, read 33,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booney56 View Post
Thanks! I hadn't considered leasing the land. That's a good idea, especially if you build something on wheels.

Quote:
I'm getting a little worried about Syracuse in general. I haven't moved yet because my new company is very, very slow (must be the cold, haha) and I keep hearing that from people.

Quote:

Good news about public transit. Thanks!

Old 09-23-2014, 08:13 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,632,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameworks View Post
I'm getting a little worried about Syracuse in general. I haven't moved yet because my new company is very, very slow (must be the cold, haha) and I keep hearing that from people.
I know nothing about your company, but this is setting off some red flags. Not only are they taking forever, but they also gave you the wrong location (Liverpool is not Syracuse) and also they didn't know how many employees they had? Seems fishy and I wouldn't be jumping up and down about a job that doesn't seem to have their stuff together

Old 09-23-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I know nothing about your company, but this is setting off some red flags. Not only are they taking forever, but they also gave you the wrong location (Liverpool is not Syracuse) and also they didn't know how many employees they had? Seems fishy and I wouldn't be jumping up and down about a job that doesn't seem to have their stuff together
It's a legit company. It's very famous in my field, but I'm starting to feel the same way as you. Unfortunately, I've been job searching for almost a year now-- I have to take something. But another company is flying me out west for a final interview next week. I'm excited about that one!

Old 09-23-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
It's a legit company. It's very famous in my field, but I'm starting to feel the same way as you. Unfortunately, I've been job searching for almost a year now-- I have to take something. But another company is flying me out west for a final interview next week. I'm excited about that one!
Oh yeah, I believe you that it's a legit company. I'm just saying I wouldn't be putting all your eggs in this basket. I went through something similar a year ago. In the end, the actions of the company were so completely off-putting to me that I declined their offer. If it was such a cluster to get me to that point, I couldn't even imagine what it would be like actually working for the company. Fortunately, I got an offer from another company as well and I accepted that one and moved down to Philly

Old 09-23-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Oh yeah, I believe you that it's a legit company. I'm just saying I wouldn't be putting all your eggs in this basket. I went through something similar a year ago. In the end, the actions of the company were so completely off-putting to me that I declined their offer. If it was such a cluster to get me to that point, I couldn't even imagine what it would be like actually working for the company. Fortunately, I got an offer from another company as well and I accepted that one and moved down to Philly
Yeah, that's about where I am right now. Hope I get the job that I'm interviewing for next week, but using this one as a backup just in case.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:55 AM

149 posts, read 200,031 times
If you were working in Liverpool...you could look North for land. It's pretty sparse even 10 miles north. Of course you would be in the middle of a pretty harsh snow belt.

I like the concept behind tiny houses. You should be aware that in addition to worrying about zoning laws, which do tend to apply only in incorporated areas, most countys employ building codes. These would specify such things as the depth of the foundation...ie you'd probably need a basement. Also you'd need to be connected to water and sewer,or a septic system. If you build the house on a trailer (which it seems a lot of people do), you could get around this.

Liverpool and Baldwinsville are pretty nice places to work and live...so good luck.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that's about where I am right now. Hope I get the job that I'm interviewing for next week, but using this one as a backup just in case.
Best of luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or