U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 08:32 PM

23 posts, read 35,523 times

Advertisements

Okay, opening up a new thread here to pinpoint one of the many factors that would come into play in me relocating to Syracuse. Syracuse if it happens, is about 2 years away. Are there people in Syracuse that make it without a car? How does that work for you? Always bumming rides to get to certain stores, or weird hours when the bus hours are iffy? Or is it a non- issue? And finally what are the top 5 areas of Syracuse to be car free in.I am definitely going to learn to drive, as a NYC gal we tend to pound the pavement, even us ones, who have a car. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 09:39 PM

56,257 posts, read 80,427,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumPlum View Post
Okay, opening up a new thread here to pinpoint one of the many factors that would come into play in me relocating to Syracuse. Syracuse if it happens, is about 2 years away. Are there people in Syracuse that make it without a car? How does that work for you? Always bumming rides to get to certain stores, or weird hours when the bus hours are iffy? Or is it a non- issue? And finally what are the top 5 areas of Syracuse to be car free in.I am definitely going to learn to drive, as a NYC gal we tend to pound the pavement, even us ones, who have a car. Thanks
When you say Syracuse, are you just talking about the city itself or are you including the suburbs/rest of the metro too?

Old 10-14-2014, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
When you say Syracuse, are you just talking about the city itself or are you including the suburbs/rest of the metro too?
Is it possible to post or repost (if its been done before)a boundary delineation map of what constitutes Syracuse city vs. Metro and suburbs. Does it makes a big difference by the way in terms of commute (bus or car)from end of Syracuse to the next end.I'm not great with directions so it might take several posts foe w to quite get it. Thanks

Old 10-14-2014, 06:47 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,693,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumPlum View Post
Is it possible to post or repost (if its been done before)a boundary delineation map of what constitutes Syracuse city vs. Metro and suburbs. Does it makes a big difference by the way in terms of commute (bus or car)from end of Syracuse to the next end.I'm not great with directions so it might take several posts foe w to quite get it. Thanks
City proper has substantially more bus service (and much less spread out routes) than most suburbs. Unfortunately, Centro doesn't appear to have a good "overview" map of routes on their website anymore.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:18 AM

This may be the next best thing: CENTRO Route Schedules

You could look at the route schedules on the map and that can give you an idea in terms of where the routes go.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:24 AM

865 posts, read 1,553,158 times
Syracuse isn't the most public transit friendly cit out there, that's for sure.

Still more you can do on a bus here than Utica.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post

Yes, that's the feeling i get, still I see plenty of pictures of buses around town, online of course. I still have yet to visit, planning a visit this spring to check out Syracuse and Ithaca for a few days. Miller88 since you have some experience in Ithaca, would you say Ithaca is more car free friendly. I just zoomed through there for a few hours to the state park, did not really get a chance to walk around much. I did see quiet a few people out and about, jogging, bicycling and what not. Also, I took note of your prior post as far as having to pay to play. The cost of living has to be lower than NYC, where not consumerist, we like simple things, more likely to spend money on educational endeavors, programs for the kiddos and such . So would it be easier to out and out buy a house(under 200,00) vs. renting in Ithaca due to Cornell's inflated influence on the renting market? Thanks

Old 10-14-2014, 08:58 AM

While the information is from 2000, here are a couple of lists that Syracuse is actually on: List of U.S. cities with most households without a car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of U.S. cities with most pedestrian commuters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, depending upon where you work and live in the city/area, it seems like it can be done.

With Ithaca, it does have a pretty good bus system in TCAT and the cost of living has gone up some due to more housing being built within the city. I believe that you can still live in parts of the city and outskirts where you have bus access and a home within your range though. There are other posters that can offer more specific information though.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post

Yes, that's the feeling i get, still I see plenty of pictures of buses around town, online of course. I still have yet to visit, planning a visit this spring to check out Syracuse and Ithaca for a few days. Miller88 since you have some experience in Ithaca, would you say Ithaca is more car free friendly. I just zoomed through there for a few hours to the state park, did not really get a chance to walk around much. I did see quiet a few people out and about, jogging, bicycling and what not. Also, I took note of your prior post as far as having to pay to play. The cost of living has to be lower than NYC, where not consumerist, we like simple things, more likely to spend money on educational endeavors, programs for the kiddos and such . So would it be easier to out and out buy a house(under 200,00) vs. renting in Ithaca due to Cornell's inflated influence on the renting market? Thanks

Old 10-14-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This may be the next best thing: CENTRO Route Schedules

You could look at the route schedules on the map and that can give you an idea in terms of where the routes go.
Here are some older maps that may help: http://www.smtcmpo.org/docs/maps/Fix...ansit_City.jpg

http://www.smtcmpo.org/docs/maps/Fix...ransit_MPA.jpg

About GIS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or