Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 12:16 AM

103 posts, read 326,262 times

Advertisements

Anyone else see this? Syracuse Servers Stage Walkout Over Racist Working Conditions

I've always heard good things about the food at Danzer's, but I don't think I'll be going there anytime soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 05:39 AM

93,160 posts, read 123,754,884 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/36859260-post4217.html
I think your comment will resonate with many people.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:14 AM

865 posts, read 2,159,843 times
It seems like everyone was complaining about the service from the people who walked out. My question is - if the owner was such a bigot, why would he hire these people in the first place?

Seems like a bunch of workers who thought they should be making a lot more money than they are and decided to be slanderous to their employer to get what they want.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
It seems like everyone was complaining about the service from the people who walked out. My question is - if the owner was such a bigot, why would he hire these people in the first place?

Seems like a bunch of workers who thought they should be making a lot more money than they are and decided to be slanderous to their employer to get what they want.
It may be a matter of things coming out after they were hired, but you may be on to something as well. How long has this been going on? Why now? So, there may be more to the story. Either way, it doesn't look good.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:57 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,230 times
Managers may hire and fire people without the owner signing off on it. The older woman has been there for as long as I can remember.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:39 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,052 times
It would help the business quite a lot if people knew where the hell it was... I've seen the sign by the incineration facility off 481 for my entire life but never been there. My grandpa went to lunch there - again, wherever that is - almost every day in the 60's and 70's - grilled Limberger cheese and onion sandwiches and French onion soup. The chef hated him. I know nothing about it, after that.

Tangent: If anyone knows where I can get good French onion soup that is adulterated with neither Swiss cheese nor un-toasted bread, that would be great. And no boiled onions or soup mix either... I make a better version myself; it just takes the better part of my past-noon day.

And I like despicable human beings to be right out in the open, as they are, so I know not to patronize their establishments and can share that disdain with others. No hiding behind "poor HR skills and fines" for them... let's see 'em, for all the wretchedness they are! lol

Old 10-15-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
It would help the business quite a lot if people knew where the hell it was... I've seen the sign by the incineration facility off 481 for my entire life but never been there. My grandpa went to lunch there - again, wherever that is - almost every day in the 60's and 70's - grilled Limberger cheese and onion sandwiches and French onion soup. The chef hated him. I know nothing about it, after that.

Tangent: If anyone knows where I can get good French onion soup that is adulterated with neither Swiss cheese nor un-toasted bread, that would be great. And no boiled onions or soup mix either... I make a better version myself; it just takes the better part of my past-noon day.

And I like despicable human beings to be right out in the open, as they are, so I know not to patronize their establishments and can share that disdain with others. No hiding behind "poor HR skills and fines" for them... let's see 'em, for all the wretchedness they are! lol
Yeah, my mom would get Reuben's from there. I guess they used to be at Park and Division back in the day before they moved to Ainsley Drive about 30+ years ago.

I guess Phoebe's has a good French Onion soup.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:04 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,230 times
It cost too much and takes to long to make real French onion, so they just all use Sysco and throw croutons or bread on top and cover with cheese in hopes you won't notice.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:58 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,618,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post

That was my first reaction, however someone else (who appears to have inside knowledge of the operation) posted on Syracuse.com that the owner has been running the restaurant from his Liverpool home for the past six years. I guess that means he is an absentee owner and therefore was not making the hiring and firing decisions. It's a shame because that's the last German restaurant in this area and because so many people have assimilated (and probably prefer Italian food anyway - myself included), I doubt we'll ever see another German restaurant. I have to admit that I never went there because it was located in a dumpy area (although I have driven by it on numerous occasions). A better location and new ownership would help, but I think it's too late. Danzer's is still in a much better location than where Weber's was located. I wouldn't leave my car unattended in that area of the North Side.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
That was my first reaction, however someone else (who appears to have inside knowledge of the operation) posted on Syracuse.com that the owner has been running the restaurant from his Liverpool home for the past six years. I guess that means he is an absentee owner and therefore was not making the hiring and firing decisions. It's a shame because that's the last German restaurant in this area and because so many people have assimilated (and probably prefer Italian food anyway - myself included), I doubt we'll ever see another German restaurant. I have to admit that I never went there because it was located in a dumpy area (although I have driven by it on numerous occasions). A better location and new ownership would help, but I think it's too late. Danzer's is still in a much better location than where Weber's was located. I wouldn't leave my car unattended in that area of the North Side.
To be honest, I'm surprised that when Danzer's left the North Side that they didn't move to Liverpool, which is where most Germans moved to from that side of town. Ainsley Drive is more industrial and SU has its Physical Plant in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
View detailed profiles of: