Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would An MLB Team Survive In Syracuse?
Yes 1 5.26%
No 18 94.74%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:40 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,252 times

Advertisements

Another thing to consider, Rochester and Buffalo are both good baseball cities with Syracuse holding its own too. Rochester averaged close to 7,000 at Red Wings games, Buffalo averaged about 8,000 and Syracuse averaged about 3,500. At the AAA level that's an average of 18,500 for all 3 cities per game. Granted, there's the cost and convenience factor for local games, but you would also get the additional motivation to see Major League stars. So even if it's just a "wash", that's an average of 18,500. The bottom team in MLB averaged 17,857. And 21,000 was the average for the 6th worst team in MLB. So, I think that Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse could at the very least have similar numbers to the bottom teams. So I do think a MLB team could be supported. But I do also think that you'd have to eliminate all 3 AAA teams to support it and I dont' see that happening because each city will want its own identity I think for baseball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 02:38 PM

201 posts, read 298,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Another thing to consider, Rochester and Buffalo are both good baseball cities with Syracuse holding its own too. Rochester averaged close to 7,000 at Red Wings games, Buffalo averaged about 8,000 and Syracuse averaged about 3,500. At the AAA level that's an average of 18,500 for all 3 cities per game. Granted, there's the cost and convenience factor for local games, but you would also get the additional motivation to see Major League stars. So even if it's just a "wash", that's an average of 18,500. The bottom team in MLB averaged 17,857. And 21,000 was the average for the 6th worst team in MLB. So, I think that Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse could at the very least have similar numbers to the bottom teams. So I do think a MLB team could be supported. But I do also think that you'd have to eliminate all 3 AAA teams to support it and I dont' see that happening because each city will want its own identity I think for baseball.

Are those attendance numbers a product of the relative populations of the areas, or do you think Buffalo and Rochester are doing something "right" that Syracuse is doing wrong? Just a thought.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:21 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthedream View Post
Are those attendance numbers a product of the relative populations of the areas, or do you think Buffalo and Rochester are doing something "right" that Syracuse is doing wrong? Just a thought.
I know you didn't ask me the question, but a notable difference between Buffalo and Rochester versus Syracuse is where they put their stadiums in those two cities in comparison to Syracuse. Buffalo and Rochester have their stadiums in/near their Downtowns, while Syracuse put their stadium in a corner of the North Side of the city, which is where McArthur Stadium was located. Many in Syracuse wanted a stadium Downtown, but I'll just say that it didn't happen. Personally, I think the Inner Harbor would have been or would be a great location for a stadium or an arena. It would bridge a gap between Downtown and DestinyUSA/Train Station/Regional Market. Instead, it is in the same area as the latter 3.

Population plays a part, in comparison, but stadium location is another aspect that can't be ignored.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:18 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I know you didn't ask me the question, but a notable difference between Buffalo and Rochester versus Syracuse is where they put their stadiums in those two cities in comparison to Syracuse. Buffalo and Rochester have their stadiums in/near their Downtowns, while Syracuse put their stadium in a corner of the North Side of the city, which is where McArthur Stadium was located. Many in Syracuse wanted a stadium Downtown, but I'll just say that it didn't happen. Personally, I think the Inner Harbor would have been or would be a great location for a stadium or an arena. It would bridge a gap between Downtown and DestinyUSA/Train Station/Regional Market. Instead, it is in the same area as the latter 3.

Population plays a part, in comparison, but stadium location is another aspect that can't be ignored.
I agree with all of the above. Two other things I'll add is that Frontier Field really is a beautiful ball park. And it also has a real urban feel when in the park. So I think that just adds to its character. And one other thing that might seem minor but is really big is that Frontier Field is known for its food. It has tons of concessions with a large variety of items. Many people believe it or not go to the park primarily to have good food while enjoying the game.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
I agree with all of the above. Two other things I'll add is that Frontier Field really is a beautiful ball park. And it also has a real urban feel when in the park. So I think that just adds to its character. And one other thing that might seem minor but is really big is that Frontier Field is known for its food. It has tons of concessions with a large variety of items. Many people believe it or not go to the park primarily to have good food while enjoying the game.
Food at NBT Bank stadium is pretty good, but I'm not sure about how many people go for the food. I'm sure there are some that have their favorites there.

I like how Frontier Field looks on TV, with the skyline within view.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:28 PM

466 posts, read 982,007 times
I've been to both stadiums. The one in Syracuse just has an odd feeling to it with its location. It didn't have a good atmosphere and the game presentation wasn't much to write home about.

Frontier Field, on the other hand, is consistently ranked one of the top minor league park in the country. The food is MLB quality, it's in a great location and the park itself is just nice. Dan Mason is one of the best executives around and they know how to run a game. This certainly makes a difference with attendance.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
I've been to both stadiums. The one in Syracuse just has an odd feeling to it with its location. It didn't have a good atmosphere and the game presentation wasn't much to write home about.

Frontier Field, on the other hand, is consistently ranked one of the top minor league park in the country. The food is MLB quality, it's in a great location and the park itself is just nice. Dan Mason is one of the best executives around and they know how to run a game. This certainly makes a difference with attendance.
Last year, the Chiefs got new ownership and he seems to be making more of an effort versus the last years of the previous ownership. Attendance went down a bit, but the team actually won the division for the first time since 1985 and made the playoffs for the first time since 1994. So, hopefully, things will improve.

Syracuse Chiefs hit record low in attendance, but GM Jason Smorol thinks finances are on the upswing | syracuse.com

Old 10-29-2014, 03:42 PM

357 posts, read 968,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post

I've been to Frontier Field once, I thought it was nice but nothing special. It seemed very similar to the Syracuse stadium or any other minor league baseball stadium to me. But I'm also not an expert on baseball fields

On a side note the Syracuse stadium actually hosts every summer the baseball showcase for elite players wanting to go pro. It's for the entire East Coast and they draw in 100's of MLB scouts for a week to view the players. Most Major League players came through this event at one time or another. I'm sure some of this is because of our proximity to Cooperstown but I can't imagine the Syracuse stadium is all that bad if they are hosting an event such as that, actually the director of the event gave the Syracuse stadium high marks according to this article. East Coast Professional Showcase highlights talent | MLB.com The article is from 2012 but I know it is still here every summer and was here this year too.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:29 AM

466 posts, read 982,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
I've been to Frontier Field once, I thought it was nice but nothing special. It seemed very similar to the Syracuse stadium or any other minor league baseball stadium to me. But I'm also not an expert on baseball fields

On a side note the Syracuse stadium actually hosts every summer the baseball showcase for elite players wanting to go pro. It's for the entire East Coast and they draw in 100's of MLB scouts for a week to view the players. Most Major League players came through this event at one time or another. I'm sure some of this is because of our proximity to Cooperstown but I can't imagine the Syracuse stadium is all that bad if they are hosting an event such as that, actually the director of the event gave the Syracuse stadium high marks according to this article. East Coast Professional Showcase highlights talent | MLB.com The article is from 2012 but I know it is still here every summer and was here this year too.
There's virtually nothing similar, sorry, other than the fact that they both house the same sport.

Food advantage? Rochester
Game presentation? Rochester
Beer options? Rochester (Rohrbachs)
Stadium itself? Rochester
Location? Rochester
View? Rochester
Team? Rochester, historically.
Fans/Attendance? Rochester

This list ranked Frontier Field the best stadium in the IL: Frontier Field ranked top stadium in International League

This list Frontier Field is ranked 3 out of 160 minor league parks. Syracuse is ranked 133. MiLB Ballpark Rankings - Stadium Journey

This is not meant to be offensive. Just saying that the Red Wings are VERY good at what they do and they have an outstanding stadium to do it in. Syracuse sounds like they're making improvements, good for them. I hope it continues. But they aren't the same.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:42 AM

Who is the one person that voted Yes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area