U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-12-2014, 07:30 AM
 
3 posts, read 2,872 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Hi All
Hubby got a job at SUNY Cortland and so we are moving into the area. Checked out Ithaca and was underwhelmed. Its very expensive there so we turned our attention to La Fayette/Publius or Skaneatles area. My question is what town has good shopping, restaurants, fun things to do (inside)?
I know all the areas are beautiful but lets face it, a good part of the year will be spent doing indoor activities. Not seeing too much online about cultural activities or basic fun for kids and/or adults. help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-12-2014, 07:55 AM
 
56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Reputation: 12505
There is only really 1 southern suburb in Nedrow, which is more working/lower middle class. It is mainly rural, with a couple of villages(Tully and Fabius), along with some suburban developments here and there. There is the Onondaga Nation Reservation too. There is an ice rink on the Reservation and one at Meachem Field in Syracuse's Valley(South Valley)neighborhood.

You could look into Homer, just north of Cortland or Dryden, which is in between Cortland and Ithaca.

You could also look into the Eastern suburbs near I-481, which connects with I-81 just above the Valley neighborhood in the city of Syracuse. DeWitt would be a good choice in that regard.

Onondaga Hill, just SW of Syracuse, puts you close to shopping in the Western suburbs and still pretty close access to I-81. Skaneateles may work, as could Marcellus, but they aren't too close to highway access.

What kind of cultural activities/things to do are you looking for? You will be able to do many outdoor activities for most of the year, actually.

Also, where are you coming from? Would you be open to areas of the city of Syracuse? What about Cortland?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-12-2014 at 08:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2014, 08:15 AM
 
Location: DeWitt, NY
1,002 posts, read 1,697,535 times
Reputation: 1424
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsoul View Post
Hi All
Hubby got a job at SUNY Cortland and so we are moving into the area. Checked out Ithaca and was underwhelmed. Its very expensive there so we turned our attention to La Fayette/Publius or Skaneatles area. My question is what town has good shopping, restaurants, fun things to do (inside)?
I know all the areas are beautiful but lets face it, a good part of the year will be spent doing indoor activities. Not seeing too much online about cultural activities or basic fun for kids and/or adults. help!
That area is mostly rural, so if you're looking for more typical suburban, but reasonably convenient to Cortland, you're probably better suited with the western suburbs (perhaps Onondaga Hill area for areas near major routes) or perhaps near-southeast/east suburbs Jamesville and DeWitt with the access to 481. East side of Syracuse to SUNY Cortland door to door can be done in a half hour or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2014, 08:43 AM
 
Location: 213, 310, 562, 909, 951, 952, 315, ???
1,537 posts, read 2,215,718 times
Reputation: 1858
If Ithaca was underwhelming, you are not going to find what you are looking for between Syracuse and Cortland. You may want to look towards Binghamton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2014, 08:54 AM
 
56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Reputation: 12505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
If Ithaca was underwhelming, you are not going to find what you are looking for between Syracuse and Cortland. You may want to look towards Binghamton.
True and Binghamton is the next closest option or they could move to the immediate Syracuse area. I'm wondering what the OP is talking about in terms of Ithaca being underwhelming though.

Also, it would be nice to know what they consider to be too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2014, 12:32 PM
 
357 posts, read 836,886 times
Reputation: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
That area is mostly rural, so if you're looking for more typical suburban, but reasonably convenient to Cortland, you're probably better suited with the western suburbs (perhaps Onondaga Hill area for areas near major routes) or perhaps near-southeast/east suburbs Jamesville and DeWitt with the access to 481. East side of Syracuse to SUNY Cortland door to door can be done in a half hour or so.
I agree with this. The southern region is all rural with small villages and towns with Ithaca actually being one of the larger ones If you are wanting something more, then like acknight said you might want to look at the East side of Syracuse. I do know people who do this commute without much problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2014, 01:18 PM
 
56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Reputation: 12505
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
I agree with this. The southern region is all rural with small villages and towns with Ithaca actually being one of the larger ones If you are wanting something more, then like acknight said you might want to look at the East side of Syracuse. I do know people who do this commute without much problem.
Especially if they are looking for the cultural aspects that come with having a college/university presence. That may be what they are eluding to. With that said, I'm still curious about the comments in regards to Ithaca.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top