U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2014, 10:01 PM

124 posts, read 74,969 times

Advertisements

Hi, I want to move to there. I don't really mind Rome (NY) given that I'm getting it for almost free but I sure do like the place (Oswego). What are the quiet(est) parts of the town? Where are the cheapest units which are NOT some guy renting out room(s) or otherwise an apartment/house that was subdivided? I especially like those small detached houses. I saw a guy rent a small house 3 blocks SE of the center for $250/mo and the only thing wrong with it was that it "[wasn't] a total dump" Holy c***, is that price level real? I'm in! (he priced it to go before my visit date). The second lowest on Craigslist, a small 1 floor detached house somewhat Eastside, is $320/mo starting June. So I'm not paying more than $475-499 w/o utilities even though I could pay somewhat more. I'm not planning on living outside the street grid, even though there's a zone inside the city limits that's outside the town and some people live much further.

I know the industrial days are behind you but there any un-obvious sources of noise? Like factories, power plants/transformers, ships, flight paths, big (by Oswego standards) construction projects, loud student areas (especially drunk ones), frequent winter gales..? Railroad tracks?

What radius could you hear those things or the race track while outside?

Do I need an extra strong umbrella?

Does the land end of town to the lake shore make a difference how windy it is? Does the east edge of town get more snow than the west edge, or is it to small a distance to matter? Where's the floodable zone? How's the crime? Is there anything I should know about the East Side? (I didn't visit that part)

As for unemployment rates, I'm lucky enough that I wouldn't die if I don't have one* (*as long as I stay in Western NY) so that's not a major problem, but I'm not rich by any means.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 12:39 AM

46,355 posts, read 65,635,121 times
So, what are you actually looking for?
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
View detailed profiles of: