Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2014, 06:36 PM

43 posts, read 143,134 times

Advertisements

Ok, before I get a lecture, I realize its a bad idea to give your wifi password to someone else and had I not been in a desperate situation: I would not have. I was in a very bad car wreck with an uninsured driver and I was without a car for a few weeks. I was going to lose my job and my neighbor offered to bring me in, but in the same breath asked if they could use my wifi and pay half the bill. I was desperate so I agreed. I did mot feel good about it, but I was in dire shape financially because of the accident. My neighbors are notorious for not paying their bills and every other day someone is coming by to repossess something so I knew it would become am issue but I felt I had no choice. I've had to run after them and ask multiple times for weeks to get their half of the bill and I don't feel comfortable doing this anyway. This month they've still not paid me the $20 and they make really good money too so I just turned off my router tonight cause I hardly use the Internet anyway except on my phone (different network) and won't you know they were here knocking on the door. I just want this to stop without creating a horrible relationship. They make more money than I do and I pay my bills so why don't they just pay theirs and leave me alone? That's what I really want. How do I say so nicely now that they think we're buddies? I actually don't really wanna be friends with them at all, just in good hi and goodbye terms. Thoughts on how to tactfully say get your own damn Internet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 06:55 PM

93,302 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Just be honest with them, if what you say it true.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:30 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
Just change the password and wait for them to say something. My guess is they'll get the message and not say anything.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:22 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,687 times
I would just change the password and if/when they ask you about it tell them the truth - that they can't pay you in a reasonable amount of time therefore you've cut them off.

I actually had a similar issue when I lived in Syracuse. First my upstairs neighbor asked if we could split the cable - I said no because it's illegal. Then she asked if we could share the internet. Since I got a new router that allowed me to create a separate network within mine, I agreed. It only lasted 2 months until I turned it off since she failed to pay me. Unfortunately for me she went crazy and started harassing me, threatening me, etc. I ended up having to get the LL and the local police involved and she eventually stopped and left me alone... and moved.

So moral of the story is you cannot know how they will react. Just turn it off and be done with it.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:01 PM

357 posts, read 968,329 times
This is horrible but when it comes to situations like this I am all about lying in order to save me the grief of having to deal with crappy attitudes from my neighbors.
Since you don't use the internet a huge amount I would do the same as you and shut it off for a few days. Let the neighbors know that you decided to cancel due to the high cost and lack of need. Then in a couple of days turn your router back on. Go into your computer where it lists available internet connections, rename your internet connection so they won't know its the same one, then change the password.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:09 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
Change your password.
Call Comcast/Xfinity whoever u have internet access with if u dont know how. They'll walk you through the steps. It's as simple as that. you won't even have to tell or talk to ur neighbor about it.

If ur neighbor has the gall to ever say anything to you; simply say: "Internet company had to install a new router and changed all of my passwords." and that's it..... if ur neighbor says "I thougt we had an agreement" or whatever just respond "oh i didnt give it any thought because I hadn't received payment from you and just figured you didn't need it anymore"

Old 12-30-2014, 07:26 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,133 times
Rude people really are absolutely shocked, aren't they, when you dish them up a bit of their own behavior? Don't feel badly and don't apologize; they sure don't. You don't owe them anything. Take a salesman's approach and go silent... don't fill up the space with noise and talking. Let their rudeness linger in the air for much, much longer than you're comfortable with, until they speak or you get the message that they won't address their own bad behavior.

"I've become extremely uncomfortable with this arrangement and have stopped it. Here's the ISP's phone number, so you can set up your own service."

Old 12-30-2014, 07:28 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
You know, people always want to try to take a stand but then get worried about there being fallout or consequences or someone else feeling bad. Guess what? Whenever you take a stand, there is always the potential of conflict and bad feelings. Suck it up.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:29 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredinBing View Post
Ok, before I get a lecture, I realize its a bad idea to give your wifi password to someone else and had I not been in a desperate situation: I would not have. I was in a very bad car wreck with an uninsured driver and I was without a car for a few weeks. I was going to lose my job and my neighbor offered to bring me in, but in the same breath asked if they could use my wifi and pay half the bill. I was desperate so I agreed. I did mot feel good about it, but I was in dire shape financially because of the accident. My neighbors are notorious for not paying their bills and every other day someone is coming by to repossess something so I knew it would become am issue but I felt I had no choice. I've had to run after them and ask multiple times for weeks to get their half of the bill and I don't feel comfortable doing this anyway. This month they've still not paid me the $20 and they make really good money too so I just turned off my router tonight cause I hardly use the Internet anyway except on my phone (different network) and won't you know they were here knocking on the door. I just want this to stop without creating a horrible relationship. They make more money than I do and I pay my bills so why don't they just pay theirs and leave me alone? That's what I really want. How do I say so nicely now that they think we're buddies? I actually don't really wanna be friends with them at all, just in good hi and goodbye terms. Thoughts on how to tactfully say get your own damn Internet?
Tell them this is what happens when you don't pay for your internet.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:52 PM

23 posts, read 89,669 times
If you want to carry the illusion that you no longer have Internet access to share all the way, turn off the SSID broadcast in the router. By doing that, when they scan for available routers, whatever you change the name of your network to won't even show up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
View detailed profiles of: